Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2010s New Prog Revolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010s New Prog Revolution
    Posted: May 31 2014 at 09:44

As in the beginning in late sixties, progressive rock is still to be underground. Now even more than in sixties when progressive rock bands were something unseen (unheard) before. Howeverwith new technologieshuge amount of magnificent debut albums are enabled. Also, due to modern technologies, prog bands & solo artists are no longer largely depend on the goodwill and taste of the record companiesToday, the bands can release the masterpieces in their own production.

Someone said, very wisely, that the time for the independent bands has never been better than nowAs progressive rock is way less commercial subgenre than any other subgenre of rock music, and with that possibiltiy for a self-signed band to release an album, then the conclusion is that there are all the necessary conditions for a new prog revolution in all its colours and shades aswell. Of course, a bunch of skeptical and (or) conservative personalities will always detract most of the new bands and their catalogues, they will always want to deny that the new prog revolution is occurred, and to minimize what is happening on that global progressive rock scene in the last four years. But, there is not an argument against the lots of magnificent debut releases, there is not a valid argument to say that the new prog revolution had failed to produce that maximum splendor of new styles.

In the sixties, the progressive rockfresh and bold back thencame from psychedeliajazz, blues-rock and avant-garde music. One can say that it came from Classical music too. Todayalmost fifty years after Mothers'  Freak Out! as the first progressive rock album ever, our beloved genre is coming from all possible directions that rock music has given to the world so far. It comes from the indie-rock as same as from heavy metal and (or) post-rock; it's rushing from alt.rock, math rock, garage rock and so on, and flows into the progressive rock, and yet the classic genres such as psychedelic rock are not neglected, on the contrary; today, we have more and, in my opinion, way better progressive psychedelia than in the mid seventies and afterUndoubtedly, new prog revolution carried appropriation of all old styles as well.

A present day progressive rock is like a palimpsest paintingIt's a hybrid like never before. Scattered around the globe, these new prog bands and solo artists are feel free to merge and separate different experiences of rock music; due to the demolition of lightness and superficiality of mainstreamy creations in today's corporate world, their music is an amazing & beautiful provocation.

Probably in order to uplift the meaning of ancient symbols of progressive rock, new prog bands and artists have brought that diversity of mixed styles to the extremes; pleasant and intimate musical images are continually rotate with the aesthetics of the ugly and horrible; musical foppishness is brought to an end, and then to be transformed into its opposite; it's a musical paroxysm, the highest degree of pain, passion, anger, despair and hope.

Edited by Svetonio - May 31 2014 at 12:09
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 09:59
A couple of years ago, after 'Noctourniquet', 'The King of Limbs' and some stuff from Anathema I've been sure that the future of modern prog is in electronic music experiments.

But after Storm Corrosion, iamthemorning and 'The Raven That Refused to Sing' I see how symphonic prog with full-blown orchestras is getting more and more popular. A very sudden change (and I quite like it).
This night wounds time.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 10:08
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

As in the beginning in late sixties, progressive rock is still to be underground. Now even more than in sixties when progressive rock bands were something unseen (unheard) before. Howeverwith new technologieshuge amount of magnificent debut albums are enabled. Also, due to modern technologies, prog bands & solo artists are no longer largely depend on the goodwill and taste of the record companiesToday, the bands can release the masterpieces in their own production.

Someone said, very wisely, that the time for the independent bands has never been better than nowAs progressive rock is way less commercial subgenre than any other subgenre of rock music, and with that possibiltiy for a self-signed band to release an album, then the conclusion is that there are all the necessary conditions for a new prog revolution in all its colours and shades aswell. Of course, a bunch of skeptical and (or) conservative personalities will always detract most of the new bands and their catalogues, they will always want to deny that the new prog revolution is occurred, and to minimize what is happening on that global progressive rock scene in the last four years. But, there is not an argument against the lots of magnificent debut releases, there is not a valid argument to say that the new prog revolution had failed to produce that maximum splendor of new styles.

In the sixties, the progressive rockfresh and bold back thencame from psychedeliajazz, blues-rock and avant-garde music. One can say that it came from Classical music too. Todayalmost fifty years after Mothers'  Freak Out! as the first progressive rock album ever, our beloved genre is coming from all possible directions that rockmusic has given to the world so far. It comes from the indie-rock as same as from heavy metal and (or) post-rock; it's rushing from alt.rock, math rock, garage rock and so on, and flows into the progressive rock, and yet the classic genres such as psychedelic rock are not neglected, on the contrary; today, we have more and, in my opinion, way better progressive psychedelia than in the mid seventies and afterUndoubtedly, new prog revolution carriedappropriation of all old styles as well.

A present day progressive rock is like a palimpsest paintingIt's a hybrid like never before. Scattered around the globe, these new prog bands and solo artists are feel free to merge and separate different experiences of rock music; due to the demolition of lightness and superficiality of mainstreamy creations in today's corporate world, their music is an amazing & beautiful provocation.

Probably in order to uplift the meaning of ancient symbols of progressive rock, new prog bands and artists havebrought that diversity of mixed styles to the extremes; pleasant and intimate musical images are continually rotate with the aesthetics of the ugly and horrible; musical foppishness is brought to an end, and then to be transformedi nto its opposite; it's a musical paroxysm, the highest degree of pain, passion, anger, despair and hope.

Did you mean to type the word palimpsest? otherwise i thought you had inadvertently ingested an entire bottle of toilet duck.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 12:48
This has been going on for the best part of 10 years now, if there was a revolution the it's already happened and your just late to the party.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 00:12
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

This has been going on for the best part of 10 years now, if there was a revolution the it's already happened and your just late to the party.

00s? a sleepy decade which is pickled now?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 05:42
Then you just weren't paying attention. I know I've been involved in threads covering the exact same ground back in 06/07.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 03:33

Then you just weren't paying attention. I know I've been involved in threads covering the exact same ground back in 06/07.
Yes, you're right - 2006 was a good year. Actually, it was a very important year for the new prog revolution that will begin four years later.

This is my favourite epic from 2006.

Edited by Svetonio - June 02 2014 at 03:34
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 05:20
I think that the "revolution" took place much earlier than 2010, too.
But maybe it got another upwind in 2010..

the great thing is, that prog is still growing and evolving, and there are always some bands, that sound fresh und innovative Smile

It's just a ride... <3
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 06:25

Yes, you're right - 2006 was a good year. Actually, it was a very important year for the new prog revolution that will begin four years later.

This is my favourite epic from 2006.

Meh, 2006 had plenty of good albums but nothing that I found to be really special (at least nothing that I've found so far).

There was no revolution. Things have changed on a gradual basis with the prevalence of home recording technology getting cheaper and better along with the rise of first social media sits like MySpace and then music specific sites like Bandcamp and Spotify. This has been going on and gradually increasing  so that it's getting close to being the norm over the last 10- 15 years, we didn't suddenly reach 2010 and somebody flipped a switch.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 07:24
^

I respect your opinion and thank you for your contribution, but a huge amount of magnificent debut albums released in last four years denied what you said.

Just as a decor ... all of these three stunning tracks come from debut albums in different genres of prog ( I don't know what you like actually) released this year:

Enjoy!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 08:34
Even a living legend like Pete Townshend couldn't resist to contribute to the new prog revolution, so that his new song is a prog actually

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 08:41
There were plenty of strong debut albums being released before then as well. Maybe there are more debut's being released now than ever before, can't say I'd know, but there's no revolution behind it, it's the culmination of 10+ years of gradual change in the advancement in technology that has allowed albums to be recorded on the cheap and still sound good along with the platform to showcase such music that has advanced along side it.

Have you considered that it might be a generational thing, that so many new bands are turning up now because this generation has reached an age where they can go out and do this, and will then slow down waiting for the next generation to come along?

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 09:07
Sorry to rain on your parade Svetonio, but how is this a blog?

Isn't it just a 'sneaky' way for you to recommend people the same stuff you do in every other thread?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 11:56

(...) Have you considered that it might be a generational thing, that so many new bands are turning up now because this generation has reached an age where they can go out and do this, and will then slow down waiting for the next generation to come along?

Well, not exactly. The generations are mixed now, as well as the styles.
For example, today I found a wonderful debut album titled And Now... by The Netherlands's progressive rock artist Martin Woster who was active in a prog band in 1979.

And Mr Woster is not an isolated case, on the contrary - there is a lot of veterans who finally have an opportunity to realize their ideas. By the way, generally speaking, the veterans have a higher propensity to melody than very young artists.

edit: Regarding these prog vets who released their stuff in '10s, I would like to mention the German artist Fuchs and his ingenious debut album Leaving Home from 2012

Edited by Svetonio - June 03 2014 at 05:24
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 13:09

As in the beginning in late sixties, progressive rock is still to be underground. Now even more than in sixties when  Of course, a bunch of skeptical and (or) conservative personalities will always detract most of the new bands and their catalogues, they will always want to deny that the new prog revolution is occurred, and to minimize what is happening on that global progressive rock scene in the last four years. 

[3dots.jpg]

What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 15:17
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

A couple of years ago, after 'Noctourniquet', 'The King of Limbs' and some stuff from Anathema I've been sure that the future of modern prog is in electronic music experiments.

But after Storm Corrosion, iamthemorning and 'The Raven That Refused to Sing' I see how symphonic prog with full-blown orchestras is getting more and more popular. A very sudden change (and I quite like it).

If you didn't heard yet, you have to check also an album from 2013 titled There's Always a F*cking Problem by Brooklyn's band Pseudo/Sentai, because this is very interesting contemporary prog indeed (btw, it's a band of our Smurph).

Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 00:44
seriously... wtf?^^
It's just a ride... <3
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 06:42
I agree that there seems to be an increasing amount of talented progressive artists coming out now as compared to the 90's and 00's, if perhaps none of them reach Steven Wilson / Neal Morse / Roine Stolt / Echolyn / After Crying etc. level.

Strictly bands that started or got real good in the 2010's: Ciccada, Sunchild / Karfagen, Lalle Larsson, Mars Hollow, Accordo Dei Contrari, Ske, Abrete Gandul, Gösta Berlings Saga, La Coscienza di Zeno / Luca Scherani, Haken, Dean Watson, Lifesigns, Henry Fool, Sanguine Hum, The Worm Ouroboros, Ingranaggi della Valle, Dynamo Bliss, Camelias Garden, Progenesi, Superdrama, Billy Bottle and the Multiple, Sky Architect / Chris

lol'd @ Dean's post.

Edited by King Crimson776 - June 03 2014 at 06:50
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 02:54
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

I agree that there seems to be an increasing amount of talented progressive artists coming out now as compared to the 90's and 00's, if perhaps none of them reach Steven Wilson / Neal Morse / Roine Stolt / Echolyn / After Crying etc. level.

Strictly bands that started or got real good in the 2010's: Ciccada, Sunchild / Karfagen, Lalle Larsson, Mars Hollow, Accordo Dei Contrari, Ske, Abrete Gandul, Gösta Berlings Saga, La Coscienza di Zeno / Luca Scherani, Haken, Dean Watson, Lifesigns, Henry Fool, Sanguine Hum, The Worm Ouroboros, Ingranaggi della Valle, Dynamo Bliss, Camelias Garden, Progenesi, Superdrama, Billy Bottle and the Multiple, Sky Architect / Chris

lol'd @ Dean's post.

Thank you for your contribution, King Crimson776. Well, these bands that were, in the past four years, released their magnificent debut albums, if they will release ther second, third, fourth, fifth album ...  I think that they will reach the great bands you mentioned above.

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 03:29
It must be the world cup soccer who served as inspiration for the new prog revolution every 4 years, so the next one in this year. Prog on the Cloud or in your mobile...
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>