Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2010s New Prog Revolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 00:46
Somehow I always perceived the connection between the vinyl and prog, and the same is with the ancient prog (original albums and re-released & remixed LPs) as with that new prog as well, so I've always believed that good old LP will experience a renaissance. As a fan of contemporary prog, I suggest to young prog bands who aren't in position to print both vinyl LP and CD that they would to neglect CD in favor of vinyl LPs; in my opinion, the right thing today for new prog bands is that combination of vinyl LP and full-stream digital album.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/money/the-biggest-music-comeback-of-2014-vinyl-records/ar-BBgF6m7?ocid=U219DHP

Quote Nearly eight million old-fashioned vinyl records have been sold this year, up 49% from the same period last year, industry data show. Younger people, especially indie-rock fans, are buying records in greater numbers, attracted to the perceived superior sound quality of vinyl and the ritual of putting needle to groove.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1661925/last-ripples-of-pink-floyds-endless-river-ends-with-record-vinyl-sales/

Elsewhere, some of the last splashes of Pink Floyd are coming from the record number of vinyl sales The Endless River produced. Billboard Magazine covered the vinyl record sales produced by the last album by Pink Floyd and quoted Official Charts chief executive, Martin Talbot, about a month after the album was released. Talbot said,

The Endless River managed to score more first week vinyl sales in the UK than any album since 1997. Additionally, Pink Floyd’s contribution to the latter day deluge of vinyl has pushed the UK’s total vinyl sales past the million unit mark for the first time since 1996. … The Endless River sold a total of 150,000 copies here in its first week of release, which was enough to land them at number three on the Billboard 200 chart. We’re assuming at least a few thousand of those were vinyl sales.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/vinyl-album-sales-exceed-1-million-in-2014-9887598.html

The vinyl revival has reached a new highpoint, with 2014 sales passing the million mark last weekend, according to Official Charts data – the first time that milestone has been passed since 1996.

Whilst the music industry is adapting to a largely digital future, the attraction of a heavyweight 12” package, complete with artwork and sleeve-notes, has lured older record-buyers back to stores alongside a new generation of “hipster” collectors.

There are three re-released Led Zeppelin albums and two Pink Floyd opuses, including their new release The Endless River, in the 2014 vinyl top ten. Arctic Monkeys and Jack White are the top-sellers, confirming vinyl’s renewed popularity with contemporary music fans.

Edited by Svetonio - December 12 2014 at 02:06
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 17:25

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

As in the beginning in late sixties, progressive rock is still to be underground. Now even more than in sixties when progressive rock bands were something unseen (unheard) before.

I think this is simplistic and not quite correct. If you watch the Tom Dowd DVD, and he goes back to the mastering of LP's right after WW2, you will find that there was a lot of music out there, some of it labeled "black music" that the movie studios almost killed inadvertantly.

Music was already an "experiment" then, but it was still in the classical sense, and that should be substantiated as NOT ELECTRIC. Most of it was accoustic, though some had a very basic guitar at times, but nothing as we know of jazz these days.

What, more than likely, and is my idea, brought out rock music, was ELECTRICITY ... which became the new thing for all the kids, since the classical and jazz thing was already taken up by someone else. So to speak!

That some music became "progressive", I really believe it was an honest extension of the time and the place and the ability to create something new, for which the likes of The Beatles, and the Rolling Stones, could be considered very important in helping expand everyone's ears.

But you are forgetting the MASSIVE literary efforts at the time, and the classical music elements of the time, as well as the artistic developments in the 50's and 60's that sprawled all over the world.

Now we have to factor in one thing ... TV and the media ... none of this stuff was really "visible" the world over. We did not have TV's in Assis and Araraquara in the state of Sao Paulo in Brazil. Never really saw any until the airport in Rio, and then in the airport in New York and Chicago ... culture shock ... you really think the rest of the world knew or saw anything? NO.  This was 1965!!!

America and some parts in Europe got TV's fast. Japan jumped on it immediately as you well know ... and the rest is history ... alll of a sudden you know there is a country called "VietNam", and a whole bunch of places in Africa ... not one PERSON ever heard of them before, unless they were avid readers of newspapers and then ... it was a blurb in 25 letters only! The "fame" that brought The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, and others to you, blew all this out of whack and ideas ... because all of a sudden they are the biggest machine in the business world.

But before things got "in control", there was a moment where the free form of things took off, and it was extremelly valuable and alive in the music business, which coincided with the incredible improvement in the electrical designs and work which benefited rock and jazz music, but killed classical music! And these experimentations, including the original FM radio fighting the AM top of the pops mentality, helped new music come around!

... Today, the bands can release the masterpieces in their own production. ... Someone said, very wisely, that the time for the independent bands has never been better than now. ...

To me this is one of the saddest things ever. Reminds me of Doris Lessing, that came through the dark ages in Rhodesia and the days of slavery ... when she said that the folks that had the most freedom had the least ability to use it ... why? ... nothing to fight for, and nothing to believe in, so you make an effort to sound relevant and almost anything you say is ... so what? Few people said that about the stuff in the 60's ... except the stupidity of the flowers in your hair bullcrap that helped gave innocent people the many diseases of commerciality and bad press!

I love to listen to a lot of bands ...but I have a hard time telling you that Dream Theater, Iron maiden and other bands are "relevant" ... they are quasi ...if anything ... and this is the only part that hurts what they do ... it takes away the true feeling and emotion that drives your "revolution" along with many folks next to you!

This is what is missing today ... and a board like this only makes it even more visible, as to how immature and obsessive we are with putting everyone and everything down because this is better than that because it sold more and has more hits! And that other album sucked! And now we're calling it dark instead of fake and with makeup! There are some great musicians in there ... but then my computer can do the same thing and faster, too!

Social upheavel of some sort is ALWAYS at the front of most artistic scenes. You don't have to be a professor to accept and see that for the past thousands of years, it was that "awakening" that brought out what we know ... so the greeks had their revelations, then the roman times, then this and that ... and the 60's, though smaller in terms of time constraint, is probably one of the most important and significant artistic times of the 20th century ... we just do not look at it in perspective next to the other stuff in the same century.

We only look at all this as just another song. And until you stop doing that (not saying you do), this discussion will likely lose its strength... we can only make it bigger and better when the perspective shows how intelligent and important it was, not how many units it sold,or how much fame it had, and what it's rating and favoritism was at PA.

A present day progressive rock is like a palimpsest painting. It's a hybrid like never before. ...

So if you played baroque music, or romantic music, or cubistic music, you would not be doing the same?

Reverse your idea? It's a mute point! There is nothing to learn there that you have not already seen or learned. But it is a very good learning point for many a young musician although they might not have any idea that their music resembles anything like that.

To create originality, you have to fight "labels". The only concern I have here is that we're essentially prohibiting any band from doing "progressive" ever again, because we are going to dub them crap and copy and more copy and it doesn't sound like Genesis or ELP.

We have to stop that ... because at that point it wouldn't be progressive at all, but copy!  There is nothing more "regressive" than puttin gdown your kids' music! Kinda means you are not listening either.  Many of us, in my day did that and I thought then, it was stupid.

Music is music! And for me music is AGELESS.

And more often than not, way better looking in its imagery department than most people that say anything will ever do/be for you!

Edited by moshkito - December 15 2014 at 16:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 00:06
For the forum's Anti Contemporary Prog Brigade, I would like to recommend the great new album by Crossover Prog artist Steve Cochrane; released at January 1st 2015, this is very first contemporary prog masterpiece that it's released this year. It seems that 2015 is gonna be a hard year for Anti Contemporary Prog Brigade;)

Edited by Svetonio - January 08 2015 at 03:25
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 21:39
In favor of this blog, in December 2014, I made an interview with Smurph from NYC's band Pseudo / Sentai.
Here is it.

Some people think that flame is finnally gone out and that the prog rock have no future, also that the unsigned & unknow prog artists would not release they albums online at e.g. Bandcamp but just a few CDs for their families and friends that is great to be released and so on. What you as a contemporary prog musician think about new prog in general and at the end of 2014?

I'm confused about you saying things about artists releasing things at home and not on bandcamp. I have known some recluse type musicians that only want to share things with their families and friends, but that's not an epidemic. Most artists want their statement to be heard in some form. And even the recluse types have sound clouds and they will share them when they want.

For me to speak of specifically 2014 is kinda silly. I don't keep up with the years very often. I check the "Suggest New Bands" and keep my eyes mostly on the Avant Progressive forum that Udi Koomran runs, but I'm more often discovering bands from 2012-2013 because I'll get so focused on my own music. But seriously I am excited about music now. I think every year since the early days of online streaming music (2004/2005/2006) has been the best year ever. Every year you have more bands, more groups, and more music. Now quantity can't compete with quality, but I will say that we have both nowadays

So much quality exists in fact, that most of my favorite bands don't make any money off what they do. There is an explosion of quality music but the music business is shrinking slightly every year. Still, as a creator of music myself, I know that if I never have a child and focus entirely on music, I will be able to create enough to be proud of my output before I die.

What about the lack of prog acts at the major festivals? What's the major reason in your opinion?

There is a lack of prog rock at major festivals because there isn't a market for prog. There are some great modern extreme prog bands playing at festivals because metal has a market. There are some prog/alternative bands that play at festivals because there is a market for alternative music and if you're able to create memorable, catchy riffs while keeping the prog mentality there is still a market. There is still a market for prog related jam bands like Eumatik, Umphrey's, etc but I'm personally not willing to sit through 35 bad jam bands for 4 good ones.

I know there are some prog festivals that exist, like Nearfest (not sure if this is still going on) and there's a cool venue called ProgHouse in New Jersey, but for me the festivals that truly matter are the RIO festivals in France in Japan every year. I would kill to have enough money to go to those festivals every year but I'm too focused on my own music. I don't even go to more than one show a month at most. Very disappointing to miss all of those experiences but this is the sacrifice needed to create an output while working a full time job.

Would you think that new prog will be regarded much better if some of the legendary, globallyknown, major festivals should be declared by the state as a cultural heritage, so the corporations that would be expelled from the organization of the festival and then the festival to be organized by, say, the ministry of culture of supposed country and financed fully by the state budget, and then, on that way, to make conditions that are needed that such festival host these carefully selected prog, psych and art rockers instead of just randomly choosen mainstream entertainers such as it is currently the case?

I have little trust for the way the world works. I only try to understand it so I can play along as much as possible without hurting others.

These festivals are tough to put together and I don't really know enough about the reasons why they are the way to are to really say too much about it.

Bansheeface is a great tuneWhat other surprises can we expect from Pseudo / Sentai's new album?

Thank you! I'm glad you like it. Well, I feel that the album is quite varied yet much more cohesive than most of the stuff we have worked on. This is album that took 5 years to complete. Somewhere on the internet there is version of the album that is 5 years old. I'll refrain from sharing that. It was essentially the first thing we ever tried to record as a band, and we decided our ideas were beyond us at the moment. So we worked. And now we are here.

So to truly answer you, there are plenty of surprises but I must mention one in particular, an amazing guitar solo played by our friend Sawyer "Oak Sawblade." He did some guitar work for us on the album because Scott was too busy working out the much detailed and complicated lyrics and I was too busy working with session musicians to learn every part. He rode a bus down from Berkeley Music School in Boston and did the extra parts for the cost of a ticket and some food. He even bought his own food sometimes! But I told him that he could write his own solo for a section of this song of ours and he really went all out.

There is also some mellotron, quick and insane keyboard parts layered quietly underneath everything, weird moments, epic moments, and vocal harmonies out the wazoo.

I also have to mention we just finished recording out 5th full length and are waiting for mastering! This will be a busy year!

We are the at the end of year. The best prog surprise this year in your opinion?

Oh man... I'm not sure. This year was pretty cool for music. I'm going to say PoiL's Brossaklitt was absolutely amazing. It's so catchy and hectic at the same time. And if you listen enough to where you can sing along, you'll never have some much fun singing along in your life. 

I will also mention A Lonely Crowd, who are ALWAYS awesome, and say I'm disappointed I haven't had enough time to listen to their whole album more than a couple times. Most of my music is listened to on the subway so I can't stream all the fun new stuff that I can't afford.

Also I will say that I submitted to the will of the Mollusca this year and cranked a whole lot of Slugdge. They might not be on progarchives but that's some solid prog blackened death metal. Very melodic and crushing, and every single song is about slugs. There are puns and beautiful lyrics covered in slime.

And seriously who can forget Knifeworld? Kavus Torbai is an idol of mine... I couldn't give enough respect to that guy if I tried.

There are many more 2014 albums for me that aren't from this year but that's just because I'm slow to catching up on things.

The best prog debut this year in your opinion?

Umm... Wow... that's tough. I actually couldn't tell you off the top of my head. Most of the bands that I've loved this year had their albums released in 2012/2013 because I'm behind on music usually haha.

... Wow all the things I'm thinking were debuts are 2nd albums. Can I raincheck? Shocked

Thank you for the interview.

No problem! Thank you!

Edited by Svetonio - January 20 2015 at 22:14
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 00:22
A plenty of nice prog rock singles are already released in January 2015. On The Chest (80's) by Spanish band THE AMNIOTIC FLOWER is strongly recommended.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 23:25
 Amazing "smokey blues tinged vocals" by Sara Lapiedra and pleasant retro riffs on a magnificent hard rock / heavy prog song Women by WHITE COVEN from Zaragoza, Spain. For the fans of Led Zep. Enjoy!

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 22:38
An amazing 12-minute long progressive blues epic by U.S. band called Blastar. Enjoy!

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 02:44
This isn't the Bandcamp Recommendations thread. Nor is it a Blog. Stern Smile
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 04:28
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 04:53
A Blog is a page or thread containing a writer's or group of writers' own experiences, observations and opinions. 

If you *must* post links to bands you believe are examples of this New Prog revolution then at least have the courtesy to write something in your own words to explain why. Simply mentioning that Unto Us is Huw Lloyd-Jones's new band since leaving Also Eden in 2009 would have aided your cause considerably, as would adding a few words about your opinion of the music they have produced on The Human Landscape, for example you could have mentioned how this obvious Neo Prog influenced album relates to your concept of New Prog.
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:39
I'd like to inform the readers of this blog that I ignored Dean's post(s) because he was gratuitousely & personally insult me several times, for example in this topic.
Dean knows that very well, so he just wants to spam this blog now.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 06:01
How is telling people some of the background of the band whose link you uninformatively provided considered to be Spam? How is requesting that YOU provide some of that background information and give some of YOUR opinion on that band, its music and the album they have created considered to be Spam? If this is supposed to be a Blog then blog something constructive and informative, or keep your persistent spamming confined to the Bandcamp Recommendations thread.

You can ignore me all you like, but the points I am making are valid.
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 06:34
I'm with Dean here, Svetonio. If this is a blog, then blog about your findings and recommendations. You started more or less well in the OP with a few personal comments, but changed to just posting links without any information, personal reflections etc. If you want to keep this format you should move it to a "recommendations section", and even there I guess that people will expect you to explain why do you recommend something.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 07:23

I'd like to inform the readers of this blog that I ignored Dean's post(s) because he wasgratuitousely & personally insult me several times, for example in this topic.
Dean knows that very well, so he just wants to spam this blog now.

@Sventonio: It would also aid your cause if you were not so confrontational, I only react badly in response to poor behaviour by others - it's a poor trait I know and that is never a mitigating excuse, however I am unapologetic about what I said though I regret finding myself in the situation where I said it.

The Anti Contemporary Prog Brigade does not exist (yeah, I saw the sarcastic winkie), I can object to how you behave without opposing the cause you are ineptly promoting. 

For your information, the last three albums I bought were Major Parkinson, The Emerald Dawn and an album called The Golden Voyage to Samarkand by member DaveSax1965 recording as The Brotherhood of The Machine. The latter is, as you are aware because you have posted in his thread on the subject, a contemporary artist who prefers Old Prog to New (I should also point out that Dr Prog who also commented in that thread is also a contemporary artist who favours Old Prog). The album before all those contemporary Prog albums was Jethro Tull's Stormwatch, an album I overlooked back in 1979. I have no beef against modern contemporary Prog, however I see it as a continuation of a long history of Progressive Rock, not some new revolution.
What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 09:47
I could not get into The Emerald Dawn.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 10:24
Going back to Svetonio's original post, there's an album there by The Vorticists - "Show". 

So I clicked on the Bandcamp profile. I have one as well. See "Supported by" and there's three faces ? That means that three people who are on Bandcamp (and have a profile) have actually bought it. 

Three people.

So much for the revolution, I'm afraid. It's a revolution with no paying supporters. 

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 10:36
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I'm with Dean here, Svetonio. If this is a blog, then blog about your findings and recommendations. You started more or less well in the OP with a few personal comments, but changed to just posting links without any information, personal reflections etc. If you want to keep this format you should move it to a "recommendations section", and even there I guess that people will expect you to explain why do you recommend something.
The blog will look the way I want, or it will be locked by the Admin, but Dean will not be an "editor" of my blog.
Thank you for contribution.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 11:03
I have no desire to edit anything, nor do I wish to see it locked. 

If this is intended to be a Blog then blog something, if not then it should be moved elsewhere.
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 11:04

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

The blog will look the way I want, or it will be locked by the Admin, but Dean will not be an "editor" of my blog.
Thank you for contribution.
So you don't want your 'blog' to be a blog. Fine, do whatever you want. David (Guldbamsen) already told you in June 2014, now it's Dean and myself, but OK, you do whatever you want with your 'blog'. Keep blogging.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 11:50
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I have no desire to edit anything, nor do I wish to see it locked. 

If this is intended to be a Blog then blog something, if not then it should be moved elsewhere.

I think Svetonio has had his chance to turn this thread into a blog.
I moved it to 'recommendations' as he basically is recommending music without any personal opinion nor description attached.
No harm or foul other than it's been posted in the wrong forum.
It would however be nice if we could get a little more personal insight as to why these albums are part of the new "prog revolution" or merely comments on why the music is good.
Willing something to be real isn't exactly the same as reality, although it can be quite romantic and interesting. See Cervantes for proof

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>