Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson U.S tour announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 11:43
Originally posted by calm_sea calm_sea wrote:

The Boston shows are the closest ones to me (I'm in Maine), but the tickets are just stupid expensive.  For a somewhat decent seat I'll have to drop $170.00 USD, which is way too rich for my blood.  I typically buy center seats as close as I can get, and the tickets in the first 30 rows or so are over $300.00 USD!  If I go for non center seats which are pretty far back they drop down to $82.00 USD, which is still pretty pricy for a seat which isn't incredible.  This is a really tough decision for me.  I love KC, but they are not my absolute favorite band by any means, so I'm not sure I can justify emptying out my bank account...

First world problems.

And yes, I agree that King Crimson is in fact one of the most truly progressive bands in this genre we all know and love.  Truly innovative in all their endeavors.

I paid $90 for center of Row S in Boston, didn't seem too bad to me, the row in front was $180.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 22:30
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I paid $90 for center of Row S in Boston, didn't seem too bad to me, the row in front was $180.

There are no center seats in that price range anymore.  If you go as far back as possible on the two side wings which are closer to the stage (than the separate sections in the back) you can get as low as $82.00, which is a bit more than I want to spend for the view I'd be getting.  A lot of it has to do with my level of fandom for the band.  If this were a reunited Genesis I would be okay with spending like $500.00 for nosebleeds, but it isn't.  For some people, KC are their jam, so I'm not trying to say the price of admission isn't worth it.  I'd probably regret not going, but I just wish I'd jumped on tickets before prices jumped up.

If you are curious to know what makes me not a KC super fan, it's most about the more "meandering" and cacophonous moments.  I'm not a big jazz fan either, so some of their jazzier moments lose me.  When they incorporate lots of "found sounds" and noisy (date I say "industrial") stuff I lose interest. 

off topic:
When I want a darker brand of prog, my go to are VDGG.  I'd go see VDGG over KC any day, and probably pay more for it.  I would love to hear a whole VDGG album with Fripp on it.
DBJetsman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:30
BRING BACK LAKE OR WETTON LOL.

They need to resurrect either the Court of Crimson King/Wake of Poseidon sound or the Larks Tongues in Aspic/Starless and Bible Black/Red sound for the setlist to be considerable for dropping $100 per ticket haha.
"...we hope to give you something far more substantial and fulfilling. All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste."

- Gentle Giant
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 09:19
So, anyone see the opening show last night in Albany????

Found set list:
  1. Red
  2. (This is the only song not performed at the previous night's "invitation only" run through)
  3. Encore:

link: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crimson/2014/hart-theatre-the-egg-center-for-the-performing-arts-albany-ny-53cf9fb9.html

Edited by schizoidman - September 10 2014 at 09:26
Making the useless useful 24/7.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 09:58
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 10:05
Originally posted by calm_sea calm_sea wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

There are no center seats in that price range anymore.  If you go as far back as possible on the two side wings which are closer to the stage (than the separate sections in the back) you can get as low as $82.00, which is a bit more than I want to spend for the view I'd be getting.  A lot of it has to do with my level of fandom for the band.  If this were a reunited Genesis I would be okay with spending like $500.00 for nosebleeds, but it isn't.  For some people, KC are their jam, so I'm not trying to say the price of admission isn't worth it.  I'd probably regret not going, but I just wish I'd jumped on tickets before prices jumped up.

If you are curious to know what makes me not a KC super fan, it's most about the more "meandering" and cacophonous moments.  I'm not a big jazz fan either, so some of their jazzier moments lose me.  When they incorporate lots of "found sounds" and noisy (date I say "industrial") stuff I lose interest. 

off topic:
When I want a darker brand of prog, my go to are VDGG.  I'd go see VDGG over KC any day, and probably pay more for it.  I would love to hear a whole VDGG album with Fripp on it.

KC are one of those bands for me, I have around 40 albums of their stuff. I was still not to keen on spending much over $100 per ticket but would probably have gone as high as $200 if that was the only option, fortunately I got in fast and got reasonable tickets.

Funnily enough I don't really consider KC a dark band, if I want dark I go to Univers Zero, Present, Magma & Shub Niggurath.
Ian

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 15:32
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Found set list:
  1. Red
  2. (This is the only song not performed at the previous night's "invitation only" run through)
  3. Encore:

link: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crimson/2014/hart-theatre-the-egg-center-for-the-performing-arts-albany-ny-53cf9fb9.html

ooooooh, they played more 70's stuff, the crowd must've gone wild in their minds!! anyway, im here to say happy birthday to Mr. Masteletto who turns 59 today, the band might have planned this ahead of time, or it was just a coincidence.
Progrockdude
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 17:27
Interesting set list. First time any 70s material has been in rotation since the 80s?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 17:29
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Found set list:
  1. Red
  3. Encore:

ooooooh, they played more 70's stuff, the crowd must've gone wild in their minds!! anyway, im here to say happy birthday to Mr. Masteletto who turns 59 today, the band might have planned this ahead of time, or it was just a coincidence.

A live album from this tour = I will buy it Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 18:48
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Interesting set list. First time any 70s material has been in rotation since the 80s?

Red, The Talking Drum and Larks Tongues In Aspic II have all been in regular set lists through the last tour in 2008

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - September 10 2014 at 18:49
Ian

Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 23:34
They played Level Five instead of VROOOM on the first night. Apparently 'Hell Hounds' is a Jakszyk/Levin/Collins trio, 'Hell Bells' is a gamelan-influenced percussion section, and Hoodoo is an improv.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 09:49
Im at the Boston show on the 16th - cannot wait...

looks like a great set...though i'd have like to see at least one 80's piece reworked...to hear one of those pieces spun in a new style

in my imagination - sleepless but by the 73-75 lineup...
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 10:23
Level Five is a masterwork. I'd love to see that live.
Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 12:21
I went to the Philly show on Saturday 09/13 and the concert was awesome! I've listened to King Crimson since 1990, bit I've never been to one of their concerts until now. I must admit I was very excited, so I bought 2nd row seats even though they were very expensive. It was great to see three drummers as sometimes they all did their own thing and sometimes they mimicked each other. The concert set was very similar to the one from Albany, except they played Coda Marine 475 and Red was played right before Starless. I was very glad they played some of the old favorites like Larks' Tongues in Aspic Parts I and II, One More Red Nightmare, 21st Century Scizoid Man and Starless, which is my favorite King Crimson song.

I was hoping they would play at least one song from every album and hear something from Lizard, SABB, and Discipline, but I know they weren't going to play everything I wanted, and it was still an amazing show, well worth seeing.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 12:55
^ Sounds awesome. I'm totally fine with the set lists. Lizard would be amazing. I'm surprised they're not playing songs like Fracture or Elektrik.

It looks like I'll be attending the Friday NYC show after all, I can't wait.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 13:24
saw them in Boston last night.

This concert is extraordinary, truly extraordinary...i urge any and all considering going to do so.  I should have caught both Boston shows.
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 19:37
Terrific set list. Hope they come to south America.
The Tourist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 18:34
My apologies if this is against the rules but I have two extras for tomorrow nights show in NYC (Saturday, September 20th). I will also be attending and if anybody is interested I could meet at the venue tomorrow to make the exchange. They're orchestra seats that I purchased from the AEG live presale for 160 after fees. Looking to make back only what I paid. The seats are together of course, and I'll be sitting two rows ahead with my brother. 

Again, sorry if this is against policy but I figured I should at least offer them to the community that introduced me to so much of the music that I listen to today.

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 18:58
Originally posted by The Tourist The Tourist wrote:

My apologies if this is against the rules but I have two extras for tomorrow nights show in NYC (Saturday, September 20th). I will also be attending and if anybody is interested I could meet at the venue tomorrow to make the exchange. They're orchestra seats that I purchased from the AEG live presale for 160 after fees. Looking to make back only what I paid. The seats are together of course, and I'll be sitting two rows ahead with my brother. 

Again, sorry if this is against policy but I figured I should at least offer them to the community that introduced me to so much of the music that I listen to today.

Away for the weekend in country home or I would take you up on it!
The Tourist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 19:17
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by The Tourist The Tourist wrote:

Away for the weekend in country home or I would take you up on it!

Darn  : \
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>