Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Genesis really that influential?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 15:52
The fact that an entire genre centered around the behavioral quirks of that "Genesis sound" (neo prog) says a lot.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 15:55
Originally posted by ProgSword ProgSword wrote:

The fact that an entire genre centered around the behavioral quirks of that "Genesis sound" (neo prog) says a lot.
I agree in a way but when neo prog started it was a real cottage industry in relationship to the punk rock that was so popular at the time.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 16:04
Yes.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 17:02
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Yes.   
Not sure what you're getting at Doc, but what I meant was with only 5 neo prog groups in the '80s with 5 members per band , well lets see, that's... 25 Genesis fans! LOL

Edited by SteveG - June 23 2014 at 17:21
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 09:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Yes.   
Not sure what you're getting at Doc, but what I meant was with only 5 neo prog groups in the '80s with 5 members per band , well lets see, that's... 25 Genesis fans! LOL

Tribute bands should be counted too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 09:54
Originally posted by Queen By-Tor Queen By-Tor wrote:

is a retroactive following any less legitimate as influence or fandom as following the band in their peak? That would be impossible for some of us who weren't born yet.

I agree. I was in high school in 1980-84. There was a building on school grounds that had "Genesis Rael" spray painted on it large enough to cover one whole side. I didn't do it. It was another Genesis fan, necessarily a fan of old Genesis. Old Genesis fans were well represented in the 80s in the region I grew up in. True I remember I had to explain the "Rael" reference to a friend of mine who was mainly into Yes, Floyd, Zappa, and Tull. Buffalo NY, being two hours from Toronto, suffered no shortage of Rush fans either.

Edited by HackettFan - June 25 2014 at 10:00
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 16:27
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

is a retroactive following any less legitimate as influence or fandom as following the band in their peak? That would be impossible for some of us who weren't born yet.

I agree. I was in high school in 1980-84. There was a building on school grounds that had "Genesis Rael" spray painted on it large enough to cover one whole side. I didn't do it. It was another Genesis fan, necessarily a fan of old Genesis. Old Genesis fans were well represented in the 80s in the region I grew up in. True I remember I had to explain the "Rael" reference to a friend of mine who was mainly into Yes, Floyd, Zappa, and Tull. Buffalo NY, being two hours from Toronto, suffered no shortage of Rush fans either.
I'm not sure if I agree HF, that's why I posted the question. Did these retro fans, as I call them, really listen to Genesis or did they listen to peer groups like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden and then claim Genesis influence later on?

Edited by SteveG - June 25 2014 at 16:30
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 16:42
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

In the seventies in Boston ("not much of a college town"), Genesis was barely noticed.  FM radio stations (where the good music was played - top 40 was on AM) frequently played ELP, Yes, Floyd, Jethro Tull, even some Zappa, Focus, and of course, Kansas.  Genesis finally got some airplay with the title track from Lamb.

Sadly, sometimes it's like you are talking to folks that do not know "history" and on top of it, they think it didn't exist.

You see, they live in the age of Harry Potter sorcery and occultness, thus the ability to define "progressive" other than some over rated pop music, is really scary! Specially when they think the world was stupid, not intelligent at all, and could not play a Fender or a Yamaha keyboard, or heaven forbid a Hammond organ!

All of the stuff you mentioned and then some ... way before Genesis ... in Santa Barbara, Genesis didn't really get started until AFTER the import "Selling England By The Pound" made its way, and that was almost 6 months AFTER the English release, to give you an idea. After that, more Genesis got played on Friday and Saturday nights courtesy of my roomate, since the other folks in the station thought it was just pretentious music.

And the same roomate played "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" in its ENTIRETY as soon as he got it, TWICE, in the same night.

True story!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 05:38
Go Mo Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 20:30

I'm not sure if I agree HF, that's why I posted the question. Did these retro fans, as I call them, really listen to Genesis or did they listen to peer groups like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden and then claim Genesis influence later on?

The Genesis fans I new listened to Genesis. They might have gotten started on an 80s album and worked back. I never new anyone who was a Judas Priest or Iron Maiden fan that moved to Genesis. Genesis was not a cool band to heavy metal fans, so if a metal band claimed influence from them, it seems to me fairly honest. The only claim of influence I came across from Iron Maiden was from an interview in the 80s in which they raved about Steve Hackett's Voyage of the Acolyte. I bought my only Iron Maiden album after reading that. Though not obscure on PA, this is quite obscure for a mainstream audience, so what laurel's would they have gained? What would have been the motive?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 10:34

The Genesis fans I new listened to Genesis. They might have gotten started on an 80s album and worked back. I never new anyone who was a Judas Priest or Iron Maiden fan that moved to Genesis. Genesis was not a cool band to heavy metal fans, so if a metal band claimed influence from them, it seems to me fairly honest. The only claim of influence I came across from Iron Maiden was from an interview in the 80s in which they raved about Steve Hackett's Voyage of the Acolyte. I bought my only Iron Maiden album after reading that. Though not obscure on PA, this is quite obscure for a mainstream audience, so what laurel's would they have gained? What would have been the motive?
I can see no sinister motive for this HF as A Tower Struck Down was a song that metal heads could get into. I know, I was one of them. I think that a  lot of the retro appeal is down to the fact that PROG was just a dirty word to many metal heads in the 80's and with the deminishment of the that pejurative phrase, many probably started listing to Genesis later on and went the backwards route I.E, Collins led Genesis back to the Gabrial era band. Aside from the progressive metal stylings of Sabbath and similiar metal bands, I would think that some of these later Gabrial era Genesis ackowledgers are seeking the credability that Prog metal acts like Rush are finally getting. To me, I take the retro appreciation as a compliment and vindication of the Prog rock genre and early Genesis in particular but; I still find that isolated stoner parties in the late seventies that revolved arond Lamb era Genesis or DSOTM Pink Floyd were far from influential to '80s metal groups.

Edited by SteveG - July 07 2014 at 16:39
Sinful View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 00:32
They were also influential to the industry of music as pioneers of technology.

Peter Gabriel used Phil Collins on drums for his second solo album after leaving Genesis, and asked him not to use any cymbals on the album, which is what caused Phil and producer Hugh Padgham to invent the gated reverb, which is now an industry standard effect that is found in every studio and musicians effects. It  became widely known and was called the Phil Collins drum sound in the 80s.

Then there is the Lighting which they pioneered with Showco in texas, The Vari-lite in 1980, which is also now an industry standard. They were the first band to have intelligent lighting in the world, and for many years afterward everyone else rented them from them. It took until 2000 for the industry to catch up with the vari-lite, which now you will never see a show without moving intelligent computer controlled lights, but for ten years they were the only ones in the world who had them in large amounts.

Edited by Sinful - July 21 2014 at 00:46
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 15:53
Originally posted by Sinful Sinful wrote:

They were also influential to the industry of music as pioneers of technology.
Peter Gabriel used Phil Collins on drums for his second solo album after leaving Genesis, and asked him not to use any cymbals on the album, which is what caused Phil and producer Hugh Padgham to invent the gated reverb, which is now an industry standard effect that is found in every studio and musicians effects. It  became widely known and was called the Phil Collins drum sound in the 80s.
Then there is the Lighting which they pioneered with Showco in texas, The Vari-lite in 1980, which is also now an industry standard. They were the first band to have intelligent lighting in the world, and for many years afterward everyone else rented them from them. It took until 2000 for the industry to catch up with the vari-lite, which now you will never see a show without moving intelligent computer controlled lights, but for ten years they were the only ones in the world who had them in large amounts.

I agree that Collins and Padgham did come up with Gated reverb drum sound which has, like most other 80's recording sounds, has worn out it's welcome. (thank the gods)

Edited by SteveG - July 21 2014 at 15:53
Sinful View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 15:47
I know what you are saying, but you would be hard pressed to find a album or concert not using it. 

And the issue is really that with refinements it has overcome most of the rattiness. Phil however used what is known as the "stone room" to achieve the sound back then, not a inferior reverb of that time.
The Path is clear
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 09:10
^Agreed. It's rattling intensity has been toned way down when it is used (thank the gods)
Genital Giant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 19:29
 I think the reason why Genesis has had the most influence over any other Prog band is simply because they had the best songwriting. In the end, Songwriting beats out great chops or great playing, etc., and I think all the Neo-Prog groups that started up in the 80's plus so many of the Prog groups that got started in the 90's onwards have an obvious Genesis influence because everyone wants to be able to write great songs, and that's what Genesis was really best at. They weren't going to wow you with virtuoso musicianship like Yes or something, but the songwriting was pretty unbeatable.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 05:02
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Ask Eddie Van Halen. Wink
Logged out too early last night to explain. Referring to Hackett influencing Eddie to tap.
Exactly.  Most, if not all of the great tappers (Steve Vai, for another one) look back to Hackett as a great innovator and one to imitate and expand on...

I'm so glad other people are discussing this. The first thing I thought when I first heard "The Return of Giant Hogweed" was "Holy hell, this is like pre-EVH stuff!", lol. I remember EVH once mentioning that he borrowed the technique from Jimmy Page, but I wouldn't doubt if he was spinning Genesis records in his room back in the day as well.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 05:38
No it wasn't, it was f**king Porcupine Tree who influenced Marillion
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 09:57
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

No it wasn't, it was f**king Porcupine Tree who influenced Marillion

Weird ... considering that Marillion was around for at least 10 years before PT!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 10:54
^That's what I was thinking, but I couldn't tell if someone was trying to pull a fast one or not...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>