Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater: Prog innovators or merely imitators
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater: Prog innovators or merely imitators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 16:04
Originally posted by uvtraveler uvtraveler wrote:

I don't see how one could look at Dream Theater as "innovators" if that's the topic.  I haven't checked out much of their latest work, but as far as their first 5-10 recordings, they are basically a bunch of great musicians...but not really songwriters per se. Some of musical breaks feature incredible drum work, guitar work or whatever.  The songs themselves hold together ok for the most part, but they just don't seem to break new ground.  Having said that, I don't feel they imitate any one or two particular artists.   They seem to have incorporated a lot of stuff, and the sound can be labeled original yet not innovative.  There is a big difference.
I'm not such a DT lover anymore but I have to disagree here, I think they were truly innovative. Of course they were not a complete revolution, they played traditional rock instruments and sounds, but Prog-Metal was highly nursed by them, and being the early nurses of a whole music genre is not something any band can claim having been.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 17:25
The most innovative of artists across the history of music have all been imitators to some degree. Dream Theater, I'd say, are both.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
k3no444 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 23:40
I don't fully think they are imitators, but I agree with The Pessimist.
Please check out my music blog and follow me on Twitter!

http://kenoalbumreview.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/kenoalbumreview
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 15:34
For me, it comes down to what are they saying in their lyrics.  If Dream Theater
music as is on all their albums remained the same, but for the lyrics they
did the complete English Romantic Poets' canon, I'd be into them.  I would
love to hear a couple of lp's of Wordsworth poetry done in a rock setting.
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 19:58
in terms of style, imitator.  They mostly sound like Iron Maiden, Fates Warning, Yngwie Malmsteen, Iced Earth (the heavier songs) and  80s AOR bands.

in terms of quality, innovator. They recorded songs that are much better and more enjoyable than those they sound like.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 13:50
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

in terms of style, imitator.  They mostly sound like Iron Maiden, Fates
Warning, Yngwie Malmsteen, Iced Earth (the heavier songs) and  80s AOR
bands.in terms of quality, innovator. They recorded songs that are much better and more enjoyable than those they sound like.

Does quality equate with innovation?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 15:46
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

in terms of style, imitator.  They mostly sound like Iron Maiden, Fates
Warning, Yngwie Malmsteen, Iced Earth (the heavier songs) and  80s AOR
bands.in terms of quality, innovator. They recorded songs that are much better and more enjoyable than those they sound like.

Does quality equate with innovation?

Are you thinking of another thread? That might be a good one.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 15:57
^Ah... maybe next month. I'm a bit tired.

Edited by SteveG - July 15 2014 at 15:57
CityZen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 00:00
Never understood them
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 01:05
I enjoy their music and don't much care if it's innovative or not. 

After all, a lot of bands still making traditional progressive rock are no longer innovative, not in this day and age. Accusations of being stale can't be limited to just DT. 

DT absolutely were influential to me , personally , in discovering prog rock. They were a gateway for me. I went out and got into KC, Genesis, Yes, etc. 

I never understood why so many hate DT. They seem to be too metal for the progheads, and too prog for the metal heads
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 23:45
Hi, I'm new here.
I used to be a big dream theater fan a while back, But their music has just grown stale to me. their music from the 90's had a lot of noodling and their ballads were kind of boring. There 2000s material is just a bunch generic metal cliches stacked on top of generic prog cliches. I don't think I would call them innovative, but their older material has a unique sound and they wrote some good melodies but I don't think their songs were all that well written. It gets annoying to hear them be technical throughout large portions of songs, especially with portnoy's  drumming. Sometimes I just want the dude to play simple rhythm. 
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 15:07
DT, along with Queensryche, was my gateway to prog metal.  Unfortunately, I did not have the wherewithal (or social contacts) to find more music int eh prog metal vein.  I have their entire catalogue and generally love their music.  However, the high points since Train of Thought (I knew metal before prog and I love this album, especially This Dying Soul) have been far less frequent.  Like some others have noted, their softer side kind of sucks for me (The Answer Lies Within).  Other artists can do this with more passion and intensity.  Even when heavy, their sounds can seem dry and cerebral.

I think they were an innovative band when they first emerged (I never saw their particular strengths come together quite that way before with another band), but settled too much into a comfortable groove in the last decade.  I know there are many exceptions, but metalheads can be quite conservative and may be DT's primary fan base.

Without DT, I would be stuck with hard rock and heavy indie rock, - not a terrible thing but not quite so satisfying.

DT is a great band and have found a style that works for them, 
More heavy prog, please!
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 09:42
Wow, didn't know people were so lukewarm about DT these days. DT was one of my gateway bands (it went Metallica>>DT>>Rush>>the rest). I agree that they weren't really innovators in the strict sense since no one facet of their sound is unique. But compared to their closest influence, namely Fates Warning, their delivery and songwriting were so much more fluid and accessible. Where I disagree completely is where people say they have bad songwriting and pointless soloing. It all depends on your expectations and built tolerance leve for the style. For highly-technical prog metal at that time, they were basically tasteful songwriting gods. Compared to Fates Warning or Watchtower or any early, highly-technical prog metal band, DT's melodic verse/chorus songwriting was a breath of fresh air. Sure, I&W still has a very '80s feel to it, which I forget is a rather hated decade for many proggers. Awake sounds much different than that, and I think initially they were rather proggy in the "not stagnating" sense. They were definitely original and influential.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 10:48
I am a big DT fan, I love all phases of their music and think they are all excellent musicians. Calling them "lukewarm" is very appropriate these days.
The last two albums and especially DT12 is forgettable, when you consider their whole catalog. Maybe there was too much hype from the band about DT12, as a fan I was expecting more...but not sure what really.

I have no problem stating that Portnoy leaving left a huge hole in their sound, production and feel. Considering the last two albums, had they agreed to take a break I don't think we as fans would have missed anything. It would be very easy for me to play their whole catalog and then stop after BC&SL....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 11:05
Couldn't agree more.  In hindsight, it looks like at least Portnoy was prodding them to explore and extend themselves.  There seems to be some inertia right now.  It was a bit understandable in the transition album Dramatic Turn of Events but by the s/t, they should have found themselves again.  At least an album like Train of Thought had them adapting to emerging trends in metal.  Their recent material exudes a very 90s feeling, as if they are still stuck in that era.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 11:37
I appreciate what Portnoy has done these past several yrs, especially with NM and his music theme, religion that is. Portnoy is jewish but still jumped in with both feet to play along side of Morse and help deliver his message....There is nothing lacking from Portnoy's efforts on NM and Transatlantic albums, you can see/hear he wants to be there.

Not since probably Octavarium have I seen Portnoy play with such passion as I have seen him play with NM of the past several yrs.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 14:40
^I agree with all of the above posts regarding Portnoy's influence on DT. I , probably along with others, didn't realize his impact on DT until after he left and I actually enjoy the earlier DT albums featuring Portnoy that I was only lukewarm about like Awake. Live and learn. The last two DT albums sound like they were slumming to me.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 02:28
After re listening to images and words, I don't think dream theater were very innovative but what prog metal bands were. Watchtower had some complex thrash riffs but nothing more, queensryche was basically just glam metal, Fates warning was a sloppy combination of the 2, and dream theater just polished it and added in some noodling for the sake of technicality. Prog rock in the 70s  broke away from conventional song structure and did new things with rock music. The funny thing is that prog rock influenced glam rock, but for prog metal it's the other way around. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 10:42

Dream Theater: Innovators or imitators? When I think of Prog rock I think of bands on a quest to constantly break conventions and move music forward. As much as I enjoy some of the output from Dream Theater, I see them (like some other later day prog artists) as bands that wear their influences so proudly on their sleeves that they  produce music that can only move sideways. So are Dream Theater innovators or merely imatators?

If we all look at this band as a rock'n'roll band, who gives a sh*t?

If we all look at this band as some progressive this and that, the definition won't like this band, because they only like one album and did not give the others a proper listen as many times as they have the other album!

If all we look at is the fact that this is an "artist", which happens to have 5 folks in it, and look at the massive catalogue, I would say they are innovators, though that might be considered the wrong word, for their total amount of work.

DREAM THEATER deserves a bit more credit for their work than the fan'dom crap they put up with in here after 30 years!!!

A musician does not live 30 years to kiss you hiney! Any musician lives for their music, and if you don't like it ... go buy something else. Or as one BASS PLAYER in the magazine said ... I'm not a cow ... go milk someone else!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 11:38
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

When I think of Prog rock I think of bands on a quest to constantly break conventions and move music forward.

If we all look at this band as a rock'n'roll band, who gives a sh*t?

If we all look at this band as some progressive this and that, the definition won't like this band, because they only like one album and did not give the others a proper listen as many times as they have the other album!

If all we look at is the fact that this is an "artist", which happens to have 5 folks in it, and look at the massive catalogue, I would say they are innovators, though that might be considered the wrong word, for their total amount of work.

DREAM THEATER deserves a bit more credit for their work than the fan'dom crap they put up with in here after 30 years!!!

A musician does not live 30 years to kiss you hiney! Any musician lives for their music, and if you don't like it ... go buy something else. Or as one BASS PLAYER in the magazine said ... I'm not a cow ... go milk someone else!

^ haha.  good rant.

I think Steve you might be confusin prog rock and its parent, progressive rock. Prog is not that, it is a highly definied genre which has spent the last 40 years honoring the 70's originals and not progressing one damn bit. There are many groups that follow that very notion in  their music as you say, and are vehemhiely called NON prog.  They themselves deny the tag understanding just that, prog is stale dead musical tag only kept on life support by imitation bands.

Now there is a very vibrant progressive rock scene that doesn't try to sound like 'insert 70's' and does their own thing and mixes influences as they see them and creates their own unique (as much as possible I suppose) sounds. One that many, correctly deny is prog, some are innovators and doing their own thing and have no idea that they have even been lumped in the dead stale prog rock scene by the scene itself.  More power to them, I agree with the thoughts of some musicians,  to be labelled or marketed as prog is a kind of death wish for any band wanting to expand it's audience and appeal. Just play the music and let people call it what they want.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>