Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed40th Anniversary of Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 04:51
A fantastic album, and I'll never forget the first time I put this album on the turntable. Christmas day 1985. Headphones on, I was taken somewhere I didn't expect to be taken by rock music. I think this was the first Genesis album with Gabriel that I heard and for along time it was my favourite album of any era of the band. I loved the mystery and atmosphere of it all, and even thought the slightly muddy production added to that and gave it an ancient classic quality..

The album had been a Christmas present from my mum. I had given her a list of albums that year to choose from and she chose TLLDOB. Thanks mum, although she said she had trouble getting it at the time. She ended up going into a murkey record shop called 'Cave Records' which was run by this enormous rockerbilly guy with a huge blonde quiff. He had a big metal and prog section in there. My mum - bless her - never had a great memory and said to the guy "My son's asked me to get an album by a band called Genesis; something about a lamb. Maybe the lamb of Bethlehem or something" She said the guy was almost doubling up with laughter as he staggered over to the shelf and picked the album out for her saying "Broadway my love, not Bethlehem"
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 05:05
^
It's a dense work. At 90-odd minutes, it's an intense listen ; I used to spin it often but not so much these days. I am very familiar with it, and whilst it is a remarkable album, I prefer other albums over it (Trick, Foxtrot, Cryme.....).
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 10:41
Without you, what would a poor boy do... One of my favorite double albums.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 10:58
I think I heard it the first time somewhere around the end of 85/beginning of 86 myself, although it was the 2nd to last Gabriel-era album I heard (FGTR was the last). SEBTP was the first.

There are some great songs on the album and it is one of the few double albums that I can sit down and listen to all in one sitting, but it's far from my favorite of the Gabriel era. This probably speaks more to how good the other albums were than taking too much away from the Lamb though. However, there are some parts of the album that aren't as successful as others. The first two sides are pretty much awesome all the way through, although with In The Cage I actually prefer the Collins-sung version on Three Sides Live over the original. Sides 3 and 4 seem a bit more hit or miss, but still overall very good.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 13:02
Well - I'm going to Holmfirth on 3rd October - to see a tribute band - Carpet Crawlers - Perform the whole of Lamb Lies down on Broadway!
This is the band here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWj4PpjA1lc
Looks Good!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 19:12
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I think I heard it the first time somewhere around the end of 85/beginning of 86 myself, although it was the 2nd to last Gabriel-era album I heard (FGTR was the last). SEBTP was the first.

There are some great songs on the album and it is one of the few double albums that I can sit down and listen to all in one sitting, but it's far from my favorite of the Gabriel era. This probably speaks more to how good the other albums were than taking too much away from the Lamb though. However, there are some parts of the album that aren't as successful as others. The first two sides are pretty much awesome all the way through, although with In The Cage I actually prefer the Collins-sung version on Three Sides Live over the original. Sides 3 and 4 seem a bit more hit or miss, but still overall very good.

I first heard it after I had gotten into Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot.  It didn't click at first but now it's my number one favorite Genesis album.  I have weird dreams and if you don't understand the concept, that is what it's all about. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 12:33
The only Genesis album I LOVE. The others just have their moments. A beautiful Gabriel - era swan song.
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 17:28
The first time I heard the album I absolutely hated it. One year later it was my favourite Genesis album. And it still is, more than 30 years later. Every time I listen to it I find details I hadn’t discovered before. And the lyrics are indeed enigmatic, but far from unintelligible.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
waluigithewalrus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 23:51
It's hard for me to believe that it's only been about a year since I discovered the lamb. At the time, the only Gabriel era album that I had head was Nursery Cryme, but I stumbled across the lamb in an antique mall of all places in Muncie, Indiana. The thing had old 'Muncie Public Library' stickers plastered all over it, but it was worth it. Totally blown away by it, though the first listen I got bored half way through and went to something else.

At this point, the only Gabriel era album I don't have is From Genesis to Revelation, and my prog collection has greatly expanded thanks quite a bit to the lamb.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 20:01
Originally posted by waluigithewalrus waluigithewalrus wrote:

It's hard for me to believe that it's only been about a year since I discovered the lamb. At the time, the only Gabriel era album that I had head was Nursery Cryme, but I stumbled across the lamb in an antique mall of all places in Muncie, Indiana. The thing had old 'Muncie Public Library' stickers plastered all over it, but it was worth it. Totally blown away by it, though the first listen I got bored half way through and went to something else.
At this point, the only Gabriel era album I don't have is From Genesis to Revelation, and my prog collection has greatly expanded thanks quite a bit to the lamb.

Glad to have you aboard!
waluigithewalrus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 20:35
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by waluigithewalrus waluigithewalrus wrote:

Glad to have you aboard!

Thanks! And it's good to aboard!Smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 04:29
I think that Selling...,Foxtrot & Nursery...are all better, I'd put it on a par with Trespass, just above Trick.... and Wind.... still an excellent album though... I first owned it 1977, I almost certainly first heard it when it came out as my older brother almost certainly played it whilst I was messing about with my Mechano & lego....and it's amazing how bits stick in your mind when you listen to it properly - and you think I've heard that before and you had subliminally whilst playing as your big brother plays his latest vinyl!

Edited by M27Barney - July 05 2014 at 04:30
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 01:23
I first heard this album on late night FM radio around Christmas 1974. This was my first exposure to Genesis as they were mostly unknown in the Dallas area. Their US fan base seemed to be exclusively in the Northeast then. While parts of it sounded kind of strange, overall I was impressed. Fast forward several months and I hear on the same FM radio station that Peter Gabriel had left Genesis. I remember well the DJ's comment at the end of the press announcement: "Well, that looks like the end of Genesis."  Thankfully, it did not turn out that way. But that's another story. Wink
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12