Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBudgie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budgie
    Posted: June 13 2014 at 14:42
The latest classic band I have first gotten around to are these Welsh practitioners of what the Danish music press called "concrete rock": The grittier, louder, less technically adept and perhaps more blue-collar younger brother of psychedelic and progressive rock from which heavy metal would quickly evolve.

In what I've heard so far of Budgie's classic output this genre categorization I'm trying to revive is particularly appropriate. Much of their music has this bleak "urban decay" vibe but in a more down-to-earth vibe than Black Sabbath, perhaps closer to certain Thin Lizzy songs but with a more ambitious and expansive approach to songwriting. (and not sounding that much like either group) I'm spinning their self-titled debut right now and I'm imagining it as the soundtrack to a hypothetical action film from its 1971 year of release.

Going through their discography in chronological order, like I usually do when discovering a new music group, is again something I find particularly interesting in Budgie's case as it sees them move from the gritty hard blues rock of the S/T over the more progressive songwriting sensibility of Squawk to them graduating from concrete rock to full-blown heavy metal group on In for the Kill which easily can compete with the first couple Judas Priest LPs in heaviness. (if not speed)

I also like the strong sense of visual aesthetic their band concept has, what with their colourful cover art featuring avian imagery often in the shape of the bird-man mascot. Perhaps the first case of a heavy metal mascot as popularized by Iron Maiden's Eddie and Motörhead's Mr. Snaggletooth?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 21:09
I love all of Budgie's output until and including Deliver Us From Evil (1982). After that, rightly or wrongly, the magic faded, and I lost interest in further activities.
                    I was VERY into their music in the early 1980s, and bought all of their catalogue at that time.
              Back then in my home town,  I sort of became known as "the Budgie enthusiast" . I still listen to them but not as much. The band's music has great sentimental value for me, especially "Impeckable" and "Power Supply".

Edited by presdoug - June 13 2014 at 21:28
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 23:50
For some reason they always reminded me of a less adept version of Wishbone Ash.....but I do have the very first one though I haven't played it in a long time.
What's considered their best album..?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 00:45
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

For some reason they always reminded me of a less adept version of Wishbone Ash.....but I do have the very first one though I haven't played it in a long time.

I have their first 5 albums, out of those I'd say their best album and most progressive is In For The Kill.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 01:48
In for the Kill is my favourite as well. I haven't heard Never Turn Your Back on a Friend which is the second most popular pick though.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 05:09
Never Turn Your Back On a Friend...IMO their best album. I have their latest album as well. Youre' All Living In Cuckooland-------talk about zany trippy hard rock.

They certainly were underrated but kudos to them for Metallica covering Breadfan
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 05:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Never Turn Your Back........ Is the best from the several albums I've heard/own, BUT, I have to say that Wishbone's debut whips any Budgie for me.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 06:46
Budgie do seem to be the kind of music group that's more influential than popular - just like Wishbone Ash who are today pretty unknown but more or less inspired Judas Priest and Thin Lizzy to use duelling lead guitars. Not just Metallica but Iron Maiden and Soundgarden would also cover them, mentioning them as inspiration.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 15:33
Been listening a lot to these Celtic concrete-rockers over the last week, and I think I've got to go with the consensus of nominating Never Turn Your Back on a Friend as their best prog-rock album but In For the Kill as their best heavy metal album.

The former has basically everything I look for in that kind of music: Intricate songwriting with a fantastic sense of narrative structure, good use contrasting textures in each song and very detailed songwriting. For some reason I like Budgie much more than Led Zeppelin or Rush, the two bands they are most often compared to. On the latter of those two LPs, on the other hand, they almost start sounding like Judas Priest or Motörhead on some songs with the hard-edged angular riffing and dark gritty feel.

I wonder if the reason Budgie aren't more known could be that they're on one hand too scruffy and down-to-earth for many prog-rock fans, but also too off-kilter and quirky for many metalheads? I don't know how it was in the UK, but in Denmark and Sweden even though most early metal groups had one foot in progressive rock a lot of people in the prog-rock scenes here back then regarded those bands as a dumbed-down b*****dization of the style.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 15:39
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Been listening a lot to these Celtic concrete-rockers over the last week, and I think I've got to go with the consensus of nominating Never Turn Your Back on a Friend as their best prog-rock album but In For the Kill as their best heavy metal album.

The former has basically everything I look for in that kind of music: Intricate songwriting with a fantastic sense of narrative structure, good use contrasting textures in each song and very detailed songwriting. For some reason I like Budgie much more than Led Zeppelin or Rush, the two bands they are most often compared to. On the latter of those two LPs, on the other hand, they almost start sounding like Judas Priest or Motörhead on some songs with the hard-edged angular riffing and dark gritty feel.

I wonder if the reason Budgie aren't more known could be that they're on one hand too scruffy and down-to-earth for many prog-rock fans, but also too off-kilter and quirky for many metalheads? I don't know how it was in the UK, but in Denmark and Sweden even though most early metal groups had one foot in progressive rock a lot of people in the prog-rock scenes here back then regarded those bands as a dumbed-down b*****dization of the style.
Tried to get some info from a friend in Scotland about them. He described them as 'dense urban metal', whatever that means!LOL Is he close?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 15:41
Great drummer.
Help me I'm falling!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 16:06
Hi,

NP:  AAND VERY LOUD!
6. "Napoleon Bona-Part One"
"Napoleon Bona-Part Two"
7:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 19:19
Yeah, Budgie! Another band on my to-get list.

I've listened to their first five albums and I see them as a spiritual successor to the heavy rock that Blue Cheer did on their first two albums.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - June 21 2014 at 19:19
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 02:04
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Tried to get some info from a friend in Scotland about them. He described them as 'dense urban metal', whatever that means!LOL Is he close?

Another reason I support reviving the "concrete rock" label. It's more euphonious than "heavy psych", "hard rock" which I've found too vague or "proto-metal" which I've also found too anachronistic to use in good conscience. Also really captures the "street jammer" attitude of those bands.

I'm curious to know from the older posters here whether the attitude of the original-generation prog-rock fans was as negative towards the emerging heavy metal scene of the early 1970s in Britain as it certainly was in Scandinavia for the most part.
Rubicon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 13:37
I think that Budgie are alot better than Black Sabbath. The first 5 albums are all equally fantastic
 Post Reply Post Reply