Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpirit sues Zeppelin after 40 years!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spirit sues Zeppelin after 40 years!
    Posted: June 13 2014 at 16:42
Attorneys for Proto proggers Spirit are suing Led Zeppelin for lifting the opening arpeggio to Stairway To Heaven from a track titled Taurus from Spirit's 1968 self titled debut album. If you have the album, post if you think it's a Yea or a Nay.

Edited by SteveG - June 16 2014 at 18:29
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 16:44
What?!?!
After 40 years?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 16:49
They we're prolly sick of being broke and unknown. 

[Insert Dazed and Confused reference joke here]
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 17:07
Zeppelin were known plagiarists. Pretty soon, Bob Mosley from Moby Grape will sue for their version of Never, which of couse is Since I've Been Loving You......
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:15
... 40 years ... 

Also:
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Attorneys for Proto proggers Spirit are suing Led Zeppelin for lifting the opening arpeggio to Stairway To Heaven from a track from Spirit's 1970 album The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus titled Taurus. If you have the album, post if you think its a Yea or a Nay.
It's on their debut, not Twelve Dreams.
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Zeppelin were known plagiarists. Pretty soon, Bob Mosley from Moby Grape will sue for their version of Never, which of couse is Since I've Been Loving You......
... and The Surviving Beatles will sue Roxy Music for letting George Graham Simpson copy the Day Tripper riff on "Re-Make/Re-Model".

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 13 2014 at 18:28
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:26
- Graham, not George......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:27
Damn.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:34
^ Even funnier, I've known Day Tripper and Roxy S/T for over 25 years and never linked the two
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:40
It was actually all started by the music publishing equivalent of an ambulance chasing attorney. He saw an untapped opportunity (thanks to internet discussion) and called up Mark Andes. Randy California, the author of Taurus (deceased), years ago reportedly expressed his hope that Page would at least acknowledge the lift (and it's just a little bit of a lift, let's be honest), but he was never after any royalties or damages, nor held any ill will. I think all they seek is a cowriting credit of some sort, not back royalties. I don't think anyone would have even thought about it were it not for that opportunistic lawyer, and I doubt Andes really wanted this to be a news item. Probably just some legal papers going back and forth, not worthy of a lot of fuss.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 13 2014 at 18:41
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:42
^ +1.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 20:32
If everyone who was touring together, or hanging out & recording at the Epic or Atlantic studios, did not lift from each other I'd be surprised.   Stephen Stills should sue Page for pilfering 'Carry On' from Déjà vu and turning it into 'Friends'.   The Hendrix Estate should sue Page for poaching 'Little Miss Lover' and transforming it into 'Immigrant Song'.   I mean they were all together, constantly hearing each other's music and trading this or stealing that.   Same with Tull.

Sure Zeppelin were thieves but as they say in politics, they "stole it fair & square".   And don't tell me LZ themselves were not stolen from--  they were just the single most influential rock band in history.

- EDITED

Edited by Atavachron - June 14 2014 at 02:54
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 22:35
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

If everyone who was touring together, or hanging out & recording at the Epic or Atlantic studios, did not lift from each other I'd be surprised.   Stephen Stills should sue Page for pilfering 'Carry On' from Déjà vu and turning it into 'Friends'.   The Hendrix Estate should sue Page for poaching 'Dolly Dagger' and transforming it into 'Immigrant Song'.   I mean they were all together, constantly hearing each other's music and trading this or stealing that.   Same with Tull.

Sure Zeppelin were thieves but as they say in politics, they "stole it fair & square".   And don't tell me LZ themselves were not stolen from--  they were just the single most influential rock band in history.

You are spot on...everyone back then was 'stealing' riffs from each other. It's amazing there weren't  more lawsuits in those days, but it's rather lame they waited 40 years to bother with this.
I actually play 12 Dreams (one of my all time favorite proto prog albums..)more than any Zep albums these days. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 02:43

If everyone who was touring together, or hanging out & recording at the Epic or Atlantic studios,did not lift from each other I'd be surprised.   Stephen Stills should sue Page for pilfering 'Carry On' from Déjà vu and turning it into 'Friends'.   The Hendrix Estate should sue Page for poaching 'Dolly Dagger' and transforming it into 'Immigrant Song'.   I mean they were all together, constantly hearing each other's music and trading this or stealing that.   Same with Tull.

1. I think "Carry On" was based on the main riff to "Cat's Squirrel". So Zepp ripped off Stills who ripped off a traditional number. 

2. I don't think "Dolly Dagger" sounds like "Immigrant Song". If "IS" took anything, is that the cry Robert Plant did sounds like the opening notes to the Get Smart theme.

3. There's a difference be a homage and a ripoff. For example, take this piece: 

Here's an instance of what might some could consider a ripoff:

And here's where it's used as homage:

I love that song.Smoke Oh, where was I? Oh, right.

Of course, it's a tame example, since the source was based on a traditional melody where the identity of the writer has been lost to the sands of time, but you get the idea. (For a more blatant example, compare Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" with Zepp's "Lemon Song".)

Back on topic, I think I heard about Mr. California's reaction to "Stairway". The guy seemed to be a good sport about the whole thing about only wanting Page to give him a nod. 

If any good came from this, is that the whole affair was a nice bit of musical education; plus it lead me to be a fan of Spirit's material. 

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - June 14 2014 at 02:47
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 02:53
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

If everyone who was touring together, or hanging out & recording at the Epic or Atlantic studios,did not lift from each other I'd be surprised.   Stephen Stills should sue Page for pilfering 'Carry On' from Déjà vu and turning it into 'Friends'.   The Hendrix Estate should sue Page for poaching 'Dolly Dagger' and transforming it into 'Immigrant Song'.   I mean they were all together, constantly hearing each other's music and trading this or stealing that.   Same with Tull.

1. I think "Carry On" was based on the main riff to "Cat's Squirrel". So Zepp ripped off Stills who ripped off a traditional number.
   -  Good enough, but that kinda makes my point.

2. I don't think "Dolly Dagger" sounds like "Immigrant Song". If "IS" took anything, is that the cry Robert Plant did sounds like the opening note to the Get Smart theme.
   -  That's hilarious, never noticed, good catch: and of course absurd.   I meant 'Little Miss Lover', not 'Dolly Dagger'; my mistake.   But you do make some fair points.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 07:46
in cases like these, i say "Who gives a f**k?" cause i don't and they went through this stuff for a long time so its nothing new. and by the way, i think its just similarity, not plagiarism (imho).
Progrockdude
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 07:50
It is quite well known that Stairway had a theme copied from Taurus, for so many years it is known.
It's rather odd to see that after 20 years there is a legal issue.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 08:19
Read about this a few days ago and agree there is a lot of similarity in the tune of "Taurus".

But really... get a life

BTW Taurus is from the debut album
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 08:28
There is a similarity but they've left it too late imo.

The Stone should have sued for this one

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 08:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I agree that Page had a reputation for borrowing other artists musical notes and not giving them back.  Listen to Bert Jansch's (God bless him) trad. instrumental arrangement of the the old English folk song Blackwaterside from his 1966 album Jack Orion and Page's trad. instrumental arrangement of the same song retitled Black Mountain Side on Zep's 1969 debut album. Uncanny.

Edited by SteveG - June 14 2014 at 10:14
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 08:45

Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Read about this a few days ago and agree there is a lot of similarity in the tune of "Taurus".But really... get a life BTW Taurus is from the debut album
Good catch! I changed my post to reflect the true facts. I get all my music news here in the States from the authority on all things Prog: The Colbert Report.
   But The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus has to be the best title ever for a psychedelic album.

Edited by SteveG - June 14 2014 at 11:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>