Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 09:07
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

yesheavenandearth.com

the album has a website

i was already aware of that, but i just saw the video now courtesy of Prog magazine's website, but thx anyway.
Progrockdude
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 10:01
Well, I don't think Yes has put out much prog at all since ABWH days (and the Keys stuff).  Frankly, I find what I've heard to be little better than Muzak......elevator music.  Sure, Davison does a good job replacing Anderson (he's not really a clone, which is good), but other than that it all sounds tired and listless.  Going through the motions.  It sounds like a bad parody of Yes to me...........or maybe a Starcastle clone Wink

Seriously though, I thought Fly From Here had some decent, if a bit geriatric, material.  So far, this sounds far worse than any of that.  Makes ABWH and The Ladder seem like masterpieces of prog by comparison (and I don't care much for either of those albums).  I had zero expectations for this album, and so far it seems that's exactly what I will get.

Edited by infandous - June 24 2014 at 10:02
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 14:36
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Well, I don't think Yes has put out much prog at all since ABWH days (and the Keys stuff).  Frankly, I find what I've heard to be little better than Muzak......elevator music.  Sure, Davison does a good job replacing Anderson (he's not really a clone, which is good), but other than that it all sounds tired and listless.  Going through the motions.  It sounds like a bad parody of Yes to me...........or maybe a Starcastle clone Wink

Seriously though, I thought Fly From Here had some decent, if a bit geriatric, material.  So far, this sounds far worse than any of that.  Makes ABWH and The Ladder seem like masterpieces of prog by comparison (and I don't care much for either of those albums).  I had zero expectations for this album, and so far it seems that's exactly what I will get.

Can you really draw all that from a few short clips?

I am hopeful about this album. FFH had some strong moments but overall failed to make that big an impression on me. I want something that is big sounding at least even if its a clone.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 21:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Well, I don't think Yes has put out much prog at all since ABWH days (and the Keys stuff).  Frankly, I find what I've heard to be little better than Muzak......elevator music.  Sure, Davison does a good job replacing Anderson (he's not really a clone, which is good), but other than that it all sounds tired and listless.  Going through the motions.  It sounds like a bad parody of Yes to me...........or maybe a Starcastle clone WinkSeriously though, I thought Fly From Here had some decent, if a bit geriatric, material.  So far, this sounds far worse than any of that.  Makes ABWH and The Ladder seem like masterpieces of prog by comparison (and I don't care much for either of those albums).  I had zero expectations for this album, and so far it seems that's exactly what I will get.

Can you really draw all that from a few short clips?
I am hopeful about this album. FFH had some strong moments but overall failed to make that big an impression on me. I want something that is big sounding at least even if its a clone.

I had good expectations for this albums too, but for the bits I've heard I'm rather loosing them. Hopefully I'll be wrong, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. As for Fly from Here, as a whole album it did fail for me, but there were some songs that I found really very beautiful, even if they weren't as proggy as one would like Yes to be, and an important part of that beauty was because of Benoit's voice. We'll just have to see what Davison can do on his part.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 22:15
I don't expect  much from Yes--on my i phone I have only a few songs from all the albums since the 90's---even fewer songs from the 80's---and of course all the 70's material---and lot's of live stuff---so if I can pull a few songs off this album I will be okay with that---if this album is a dud--guess we can place blame on Davidson as he co-wrote almost all the songs--- I do think what Howe said a few years ago is true---he'd be happy touring with the 70's stuff, that's what most people want to hear---lot's of 70's groups do just that--it is what it is at some point----if they would do a big Relayer tour with original members---who wouldn't pay top dollar to see that? Doing a tour a year with a different classic line-up would make big money for them and I'd release EP's on line from original members too--not full albums---this would be a way for them to age gracefully and  give the fans their best stuff.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 01:48

I don't expect  much from Yes--on my i phone I have only a few songs from all the albums since the 90's---even fewer songs from the 80's---and of course all the 70's material---and lot's of live stuff---so if I can pull a few songs off this album I will be okay with that---if this album is a dud--guess we can place blame on Davidson as he co-wrote almost all the songs--- I do think what Howe said a few years ago is true---he'd be happy touring with the 70's stuff, that's what most people want to hear---lot's of 70's groups do just that--it is what it is at some point----if they would do a big Relayer tour with original members---who wouldn't pay top dollar to see that? Doing a tour a year with a different classic line-up would make big money for them and I'd release EP's on line from original members too--not full albums---this would be a way for them to age gracefully and  give the fans their best stuff.

They have more or less done this recently playing CTTE, The Yes Album and GFTO with 3 of the core members of seventies Yes. You'll never see Moraz back and it looks like the rift between Anderson and Squire/Howe is not going to abate anytime soon. Rick will always do whatever takes his fancy although I think he will concentrate on solo music for the foreseeable future. Bruford has retired of course.

I suspect this will be their last studio album for a while unless it proves a big success. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 09:02
^^yeah I know all that, richard---just giving my take on what they should do---bigger venue's --original players, fewer concerts--making it special---and I know they all hate each other currently but all of them--except Howe--and Bruford-- have said they could work together again in the right venue and project---but I think Howe would come around, maybe.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 19:10
The album has leaked, for those who want to know.

I'll just say that descriptions of the album as 'eight forgettable mid-tempo ballads' are on the money; there's nothing offensive to the ears, just a very weak album, weak, 'uninspired' songwriting, thin sound, no stand out performances. I'd have to call it the worst album I've heard from them (though I haven't heard Open Your Eyes). It's a shame. Best track is the last one.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 21:46

They have more or less done this recently playing CTTE, The Yes Album and GFTO with 3 of the core members of seventies Yes. You'll never see Moraz back and it looks like the rift between Anderson and Squire/Howe is not going to abate anytime soon. Rick will always do whatever takes his fancy although I think he will concentrate on solo music for the foreseeable future. Bruford has retired of course.
I suspect this will be their last studio album for a while unless it proves a big success. 

About Rick, I don't think he'll consider rejoining Yes if Anderson doesn't come back. About Anderson and Squire... yeah, sure their rift is pretty big, but if Squire really wants Anderson back, I guess he could just come around... and the way things are coming, he should start thinking about a way to do just that. And if this new album is meh as I'm afraid it's coming out, I really hope it doesn't become a big success (and actually I doubt it), for then they might just want to continiue in the same path. Still, I really want them to do another album and get it right at last. Somehow, right now I have the feeling that the one that might be capable of writing the best material at this point would be Rick... he released an incredible album last decade (Out There), and some really good songs on the Retro albums, so he might just as well still have it in him if he applies himself again (though somehow he has never been too keen to give the band much of his best songs).

Edited by Dellinger - June 25 2014 at 21:50
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 01:42
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

About Rick, I don't think he'll consider rejoining Yes if Anderson doesn't come back. About Anderson and Squire... yeah, sure their rift is pretty big, but if Squire really wants Anderson back, I guess he could just come around... and the way things are coming, he should start thinking about a way to do just that. And if this new album is meh as I'm afraid it's coming out, I really hope it doesn't become a big success (and actually I doubt it), for then they might just want to continiue in the same path. Still, I really want them to do another album and get it right at last. Somehow, right now I have the feeling that the one that might be capable of writing the best material at this point would be Rick... he released an incredible album last decade (Out There), and some really good songs on the Retro albums, so he might just as well still have it in him if he applies himself again (though somehow he has never been too keen to give the band much of his best songs).

I wasn't necessarily thinking 'commercial success'  but rather it receive a good reaction from fans. Just about anything Yes release will sell in reasonable quantities I assume but do they want to keep peddling 'ordinary'. I am still going to reserve judgement. I really didn't like the new Glass Hammer when Davison joined them and as people know they are my favourite modern symph prog band. Davison is a very clever writer and deserves to be taken seriously. Lets just listen to this album properly and give a it a chance. Seems to be too many negative doom merchant type comments at the moment.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 10:10
there is lot's of  negative doom --but on one site the tide seems to be turing as some who hated the new album are starting to get in to it--go figureSmile----I could see a reunion --- Squire was fishing for backers or promoters in NYC a few years back--Yes on Broadway for  a week with original guys---need a theater for a week and backers---doable but not easy.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 10:40
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

The album has leaked, for those who want to know.

It's on Spotify - listening now.

Edit - although they list the whole album, you can only play the first track. Doesn't sound too bad now I've heard it again.

Edited by chopper - June 26 2014 at 11:02
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 13:24
Too bad Alan White forgot how to be a creative and progressive drummer long ago (even if he can still play back the old stuff of course) and Downes has never done anything better than his work in Drama. Probably it's gonna be a listenable album but I don't expect much excitement. I don't think it's gonna be better than Glass Hammer recent stuff.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 15:48
^^^think Alan proved he can do creative and progressive on the relatively successful ---Levin Torn White---a few years ago--Yes wants to do simple songs---I think he is doing some nice drumming but production has been not very good. 
I wish he would take some of those poly-rhythmns and put them in a Yes songs--I hear Subway Ways may have some good time signature stuff--haven't heard it.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 08:06
Read reviews of new album - lots of hate is all I detect and its not pretty reading.

Is the new album THAT bad or are we looking at a hate campaign?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 08:16
Scott, there's a lot of snarky smart-arsey comments being thrown around on the net over the disc. I think it's a bit like `tall poppy's syndrome'.

I will be reviewing it once it's out, and that will be after several listens and not based on half a spin of a leaked downloded copy. I hope you'll take the time to give it a fair spin and see how you find it!

Yes may not be the cutting-edge, inventive progressive powerhouse they used to be, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of putting out solid pleasant adult rock music with traces of the old magic all the same.

Yes have nothing left to prove, and they seem like they're going to coast on pleasing prog-lite AOR (for better or worse) as they wind down their career.

Could be worse...they could be putting out covers albums, at least it hasn't come to that yet!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 09:05
Sensible comments mate

Yes, I will be giving it a chance once I get hold of it - some really dumb reviews kicking around expecting it to sound like Close to the edge - and that wont be happening now

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 09:10
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Scott, there's a lot of snarky smart-arsey comments being thrown around on the net over the disc. I think it's a bit like `tall poppy's syndrome'.

I will be reviewing it once it's out, and that will be after several listens and not based on half a spin of a leaked downloded copy. I hope you'll take the time to give it a fair spin and see how you find it!

Yes may not be the cutting-edge, inventive progressive powerhouse they used to be, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of putting out solid pleasant adult rock music with traces of the old magic all the same.

Yes have nothing left to prove, and they seem like they're going to coast on pleasing prog-lite AOR (for better or worse) as they wind down their career.

Could be worse...they could be putting out covers albums, at least it hasn't come to that yet!
Clap
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 10:14

Totally agree---after listening to it several times---it has some good things and at least as many solid songs as most Yes albums have had over the past 20 plus years along with some duds. I like it at least as much as FFH and maybe a little more. Plenty of earworms in a lot of the songs. And it is richer than a AOR yeswest sound---it actually has some alternative sounding moments at least to my ears. Guess I've come to expect to only really enjoy about a third of Yes releases, feel lukewarm about a third and not into a third---been true since 1977Big smile

Edited by twosteves - July 04 2014 at 10:15
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 20:32

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; "><div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

Scott, there's a lot of snarky smart-arsey comments being thrown around on the net over the disc. I think it's a bit like `tall poppy's syndrome'. I will be reviewing it once it's out, and that will be after several listens and not based on half a spin of a leaked downloded copy. I hope you'll take the time to give it a fair spin and see how you find it! Yes may not be the cutting-edge, inventive progressive powerhouse they used to be, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of putting out solid pleasant adult rock music with traces of the old magic all the same. Yes have nothing left to prove, and they seem like they're going to coast on pleasing prog-lite AOR (for better or worse) as they wind down their career. Could be worse...they could be putting out covers albums, at least it hasn't come to that yet! 
Totally agree---after listening to it several times---it has some good things and at least as many solid songs as most Yes albums have had over the past 20 plus years along with some duds. I like it at least as much as FFH and maybe a little more. Plenty of earworms in a lot of the songs. And it is richer than a AOR yeswest sound---it actually has some alternative sounding moments at least to my ears. Guess I've come to expect to only really enjoy about a third of Yes releases, feel lukewarm about a third and not into a third---been true since 1977Big smile

Yeah, that's kind of the way I enjoy Yes albums too (and actually from many other bands). Except for Fragile and CttE, there are only a few songs I really love from their albums, but those are such great songs that it makes worth getting the albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>