FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes releases excerpt from new album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 09:36
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

how funny that after listening to this new album, past albums like Union, Big Generator and Talk seems better that we always thought...

This new album is way more classy, tasteful  and cool than those albums IMO---with better timeless prog feel and better cross over pop songs---and not music stuck in the 80's with leather pants and bad hair. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:33
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

how funny that after listening to this new album, past albums like Union, Big Generator and Talk seems better that we always thought...

This new album is way more classy, tasteful  and cool than those albums IMO---with better timeless prog feel and better cross over pop songs---and not music stuck in the 80's with leather pants and bad hair. Smile

Talk is a very good album imo
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 02:11
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I'd like to see all of us, pushing 70 (give or take) and see how energetic and revolutionary we will be.....
Can't expect another Gates Of Delerium anymore. Heck, even Magma give us some tame (but excellent) recording as Felicite Thosz. Can't expect another De Futura at their age.......though they do a decent live rendition these days....
......lets be glad these guys are still a going concern.
Having said, Nik Turner turned out a very special album recently to rival classic Hawkwind (DoReMi through to Warrior At The Edge Of Time in quality) so who knows really..... Can't wait to get my hands on the vinyl issue of Heaven And Earth.

hey I agree that Nik Turner album is a treasure to rival Hawkwind's last few. Star

The latest Yes  is another case in point. I wrote a review and it was more entertaining personally than having to listen to that syrupy backwash that used to be Yes the great Prog legends.   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 02:14

Union, Big Generator and Talk  are THE WORST and the new album is better by far. well, one tenth better and thats enough to avoid the dreaded one star.

Those giving only a star rating should revisit Believe Again, Subway Walls and Light of the Ages - great songs undoubtedly and worth a listen any day of the week.  
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 03:30
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Union, Big Generator and Talk  are THE WORST and the new album is better by far. well, one tenth better and thats enough to avoid the dreaded one star.

Those giving only a star rating should revisit Believe Again, Subway Walls and Light of the Ages - great songs undoubtedly and worth a listen any day of the week.  

I give the new album 2 stars 1/2 only because if i put 3 stars, that wouldn't be fair to my earlier ratings on past Yes's albums.Ok, maybe the new one is equal or better than Big Generator, but not the others who have more progressive tunes than the last one. And the big disappointment about the last is the tiny production.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 04:03
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

By the way i read your review after my earlier post and it was nice as usual, so descriptive and elaborate, so why are we arguing? I thought you were going to give this a 3 stars at least and say only positive thing about it.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 18:43
^^^ Hi rdtprog
no argument from me about your opinion, its as valid as mine. But I noticed lots of 1 star reviews which means this new release is as bad as those others Talk, Union, Big G, and thats not a fair assessment is it? No I wasnt referring to your review or rating..
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 19:11
What's all the Talk hate?  That was a great album and has one of my favorite post-1980 Yes songs on it, Endless Dream.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 19:15
Agree, Doctor, `Talk' is a terrific album, a real one-off in the Yes discography, and certainly far more consistent than albums near it like `Union', `ABWH', `Open Your Eyes' etc.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 21:59
I wouldn't regard Talk as a terrible album either. But I don't find it particularly great either. Just a nice album with many nice poppy proggy songs that aren't particularly great nor bad... but it's got "Endless Dream", which I do find wonderful and as great as anything else the band has done. A perfect example of how to do a classic prog epic with a modern sound (at the time) instead of trying to imitate past glories.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 06:22
I will  give Talk another spin and then review then. been awhile since I heard that but I remember being annoyed at the difference in sound at the time 
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 08:11
hmmm... i see, apparently Rabin and Anderson both have a soft spot for it as i read in an article i read earlier this year.
Progrockdude
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 09:16

First time I heard Talk it was just ok.  Then I listened to it again on a high quality system and it just came alive.   Overall SQ on this recording is excellent and the bottom end hits hard.  State of Play literally buckles the front windshield of my car.Smile 

I would rate Talk as very good-excellent…  Phenomenal rating is reserved for CTTE and Relayer,  with Going for the One and TFTO approaching that status.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 09:46
I agree, Talk is a very good album. Nobody's mentioned "I Am Waiting" so far, imo it's the best song of the Rabin era.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456