Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queen on tour!!!! Official news
    Posted: June 15 2014 at 06:57
This is amazing

Queen are embarking on a world tour in America and also hitting Australia, and other countries

http://www.queenonline.com/

SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 09:02

I despise this whole "Queen plus" concept. It's really "Queen minus", I'm afraid.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - June 15 2014 at 09:03
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 11:41
Adam Lambert?  Confused

Did I miss the new reality show "Who Wants To Sh*t On Freddy Mercury's Grave?"
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 11:56
My wife and daughter are going, I couldn't bring myself to go see them without Freddie. It's my like a Broadway show to me. Zero interest.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 12:18
I'd love to see Brian May ripping it up, but not like this. No interest here either, sorry.
Anyway, I don't think they're short on ticket buyers. This should be the easiest tour to push.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 12:22
Not much different than any other band that looses a member. You find a replacement or you move on to something new. Many great prog bands have found themselves in the same situation. (think Yes, Genesis,King Crimson, Who to name a few). Maybe some feel they should relegate themselves to doing a house gig in Vegas like Madonna or Brittney if they are still going to do the "Queen" thing. The fact that the band is releasing an album with dead Fred vocals is more concerning to me. It tells me they haven't moved on and are hanging onto a ghostly past. Rather than tap the skills of someone with the chops of Adam Lambert (an accomplished singer to be sure) they paste together an album from unused vocal tracks. Even doing a "We Will Rock You" musical shows how stuck in the past they are. I have no doubt it will be a great show but it falls to close to a tribute act for me to have any real interest.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 12:48
I personally would love to go. Adam Lambert has serious vocal chops and the type of flamboyant stage presence that fits Queen perfectly IMO.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 16:16
I think it is too easy to think you can replace one queen with another queen and get a good result. I'm not into Lambert's Broadway rock voice personally. But guess I will check out the YouTube's of this concert.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 20:29
I am interested in checking this out just to have an opportunity to see Queen's Brian May lead brilliance, but Lambert better be awesome cos Freddie it way too hard to follow. Its Queen though so I am hoping to go to this -pseudo tribute event.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 21:12
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I think it is too easy to think you can replace one queen with another queen and get a good result. I'm not into Lambert's Broadway rock voice personally. But guess I will check out the YouTube's of this concert.

You'd think, and you'd be wrong--  ever see George Michael with Queen?  Outstanding.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 00:54
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

You'd think, and you'd be wrong--  ever see George Michael with Queen?  Outstanding.

Exactly right, George Michael was and still is incredible. His brief affair with Queen was the next best thing to Freddie M. As far as Lambert playing with Queen.......why the f&%k not?Confused
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 01:31
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Not much different than any other band that looses a member. You find a replacement or you move on to something new. Many great prog bands have found themselves in the same situation. (think Yes, Genesis,King Crimson, Who to name a few). Maybe some feel they should relegate themselves to doing a house gig in Vegas like Madonna or Brittney if they are still going to do the "Queen" thing. The fact that the band is releasing an album with dead Fred vocals is more concerning to me. It tells me they haven't moved on and are hanging onto a ghostly past. Rather than tap the skills of someone with the chops of Adam Lambert (an accomplished singer to be sure) they paste together an album from unused vocal tracks. Even doing a "We Will Rock You" musical shows how stuck in the past they are. I have no doubt it will be a great show but it falls to close to a tribute act for me to have any real interest.

It's very different. Replacing Freddy Mercury is not like replacing just some drummer or keyboard player. Freddy's personality is such a big part of the music as well.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 01:37
The whole Adam Lambert idea looks terrible for me.

I am huge fan of Queen, and I quite loved their album with Paul Rodgers, but Adam Lambert looks for me a totally inappropriate figure.
This night wounds time.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 02:06
This is akin to the Michael Hutchenceless INXS or the Stuart Adamsonless Big Country and Queen had a much, much bigger influence on modern music than these 2 bands. And it doesn't work. I couldn't bear watching and listening to Queen without Freddie......why couldn't they just grow old gracefully and let sleeping dogs lie?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 02:16
Scott, what were the prices for this even? I'm assuming $200 plus??

Also, I'm assuming some of you guys might be going to the new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull show on December 15 2014 in Melbourne? I just noticed some big posters up around the CBD while driving to work today.

Can't stand Tull, so I'll be giving this a miss...actually both of these shows, but I hope fans get enough from them to warrant the purchase.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 08:33
I think Brian May so wants to do Queen---I can't stand Lambert's style of riffing and riffing, so annoying---Freddie didn't riff---but I'll check out Georg Michael as I at least like his voice a little---guess May didn't want to do a tribute band singer.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 08:47
They were advertising that concert on TV here and for a brief moment I was interested in going.  I never had the chance to see them while Freddie was alive.  I'm not sure if they ever came here with Paul Rodgers.  At any rate, after that brief moment I decided to pass.  
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 12:36
I've never heard Adam Lambert sing, so I can't really comment on his vocal ability, although I have heard that he is quite good. However, I really wish they would stop this Queen plus stuff. Mercury was a one of a kind and you're never going to replace him, so stop trying. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Brian and Roger are both good singers in their own right and could bring in a bass player and keyboardist to fill out the lineup. Or they could bring back Timothy Staffel and go back to the Smile moniker. Either would be preferable to what they're doing now. Plus, I'd rather see more new studio material and less rehashing of glory days. At least Roger put out a new solo album.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 13:25
I have no interest in seeing this, but I think Lambert is an excellent choice to fit Freddie's onstage role.  I'm sure he's not one-tenth the creative mind that Freddie was, but so what?  This is about performance.  And Brian and Roger will be there to play the songs as only they know how.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 16 2014 at 13:26
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 05:09
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Also, I'm assuming some of you guys might be going to the new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull show on December 15 2014 in Melbourne? I just noticed some big posters up around the CBD while driving to work today.

Can't stand Tull, so I'll be giving this a miss...actually both of these shows, but I hope fans get enough from them to warrant the purchase.

Thanks for the heads up re IA Oz tour. I can stand Tull (their music legacy is monumental IMHO) but can't stand IA's voice since it went AWOL some 2 decades ago. I go for the music.  I'll probably fork out my weekly allotted pension to purchase 1 ticket.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>