Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSong that resembles Sylvia by Focus?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Song that resembles Sylvia by Focus?
    Posted: June 15 2014 at 07:54
At a Norwegian site there’s a woman who’s sure she has heard a song (with vocals) that strongly resembles Sylvia, but she has no idea what song it is. Some of her friends have suggested Dream Theater without remembering any particular song. Or maybe Sylvia has been used, with lyrics, in a movie or TV serial? Any suggestions?
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 10:30
It may well have actually been Focus's Sylvia...Thijs Van Leer actually wrote this song before Focus was formed, and originally it had words. Before launching Focus he had sung with a backing group for the famous Dutch cabaret performers Ramses Shaffy and Liesbeth List. The remainder of the backing group was made up of two girls and one other guy During the evening they would each have a spot performing solo, but Van Leer didn't like the song performed by fellow member Sylvia Alberts, so he composed a song of his own for her. This song incorporated lyrics by Linda Van Dijk, beginning: "I thought I could do everything on my own, I was always stripping the town alone", but when he played it to her she didn't like it at all, so it went into mothballs. Years later he dusted it down, removed the lyrics & renamed it...and the rest, as they say, is history! Smile
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 10:34
Thanks for your reply, but I’m afraid this is way too obscure. I can’t even find it at YouTube.

I forgot to mention that she wrote that it might have been some classical piece.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
 Post Reply Post Reply