Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlgabas (Russia) for Heavy Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algabas (Russia) for Heavy Prog
    Posted: June 16 2014 at 01:32

ALGABAS is a Progressive rock band formed in 2007, in Vladimir, Russia.
ALGABAS are:
Sergey Milyaev: bass, vocals
Ilya Frolov: keyboards, guitars
Vladimir Mikhailov: guitar
Albert Pogosian: drums

"I think the description these guys provide on their PR release is very accurate: "the band is from the ancient Russian town Vladimir, and we play music which is Neo Progressive Rock with elements of Heavy Prog and Russian traditional music." The neoprog influence is clearly evidence on all the compositions, each of which runs in the 5-6 minute range. I can hear strands of IQ, Twelfth Night and Pendragon, coupled with a higher level of guitar virtuosity leaning toward a more prog metal style of music. Every now and again a more clearly traditional prog element emerges; for example, the bass playing on "The Chimney House" is clearly based on Chris Squires and Yes, and the drumming on "Secrets of the Sky" contains the highly technical accuracy of a Neil Peart. If I have any concern, and it's minor, it is that the songs tend to be of a similar style; they are similar in construction and engineering, and I feel a bit more varied approach would suit the band better. I also note that I cannot understand the lyrics, as they are in Russian, but this adds a bit of an exotic element to the songs. But this was certainly enjoyable, and with time these musicians will build a stronger and more varied base of music." http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=15439

"In this digital age of panning through music cyberspace searching for shiny nuggets of prog gold, progsters will find some traces of golden veins hidden within Algabas's debut album Angels and Demons. This is Russian prog from Vladimir, an ancient city a few hundred kilometres East of Moscow. The album was originally available from the Bandcamp website in 2013 before being released on the MALS label in 2014.

Algabas describe themselves as neo-prog, heavy in many places with the odd nod towards Russian folk music. A reasonable summing up given that there are many nuances of neo-prog bands past and present that have clearly influenced Algabas. If I were pushed to name a band that they remind me of it would possibly be a heavier version of Poland's Abraxas but not as polished and varied.

Like Abraxas, Algabas' songs are sung in their Mother tongue. I've no problem with that as there are too many examples of banal prog lyrics in English out there. Songs sung in a language you do not understand could be a blessing in disguise. However, not singing in English could have some cyberspace progsters emptying the contents of their neo-prog pans back into the ether.

When listening to the album I became convinced that the singer and bass player, Sergey Milyaer, was a reincarnated Russian version of Scotland's Alex Harvey (Sensational Alex Harvey Band) blended with a small pinch of Arthur Brown thrown in for good measure. Sergey's expressive and sometimes theatrical delivery may not be appreciated by those more discerning progsters who prefer being wooed by a caressing, mellifluous voice.

Angels and Demons is a concept album. How do I know this if not fluent in Russian? I asked keyboard player Ilya Frolov who said:- "The music and words are about mental strife. The principal character struggles with himself, his fear, inferiority complex, stereotypes and loneliness. Trying to find support through religion, science, authorities, motherland, friends, women, art...but all of this falls to pieces as soon as he approaches them". I also asked Ilya about the album's artwork and how it fitted in with the overall album concept. There is no direct link between the imagery and lyrics but I guess it would not be beyond one's imagination to put forward some allegorical interpretation, especially the snail with a key-hole on its shell! Also worth checking out is the artwork by the Russian artist Dmitry Masly.

Sergey, who is originally from Kazakhstan, has had some of his poetry published and his novel Petushki- Manhattan can be purchased via Amazon. An accomplished wordsmith, it's just a pity that many of us will never be able to appreciate his work unless one can understand Russian. He has also written music for a version of Agatha Christie's play The Mousetrap. Sounds like good credentials for writing some great neo-prog. Have they succeeded?

The album is very well engineered and sounded just as good through my studio monitors as other more well known established neo-prog bands. The songs are well crafted with enough twists and turns to keep most progsters happy. One small criticism would be the lack of any slow, ambient, acoustic textures without the pounding drums and driving bass lines. The closest they do come to that is the opening of The War. Here there is some really nice guitar arpeggio work played with feeling that allows you to relax before the next salvo is delivered. For me, these quieter, heartfelt musical moments are too fugacious and the frisson they create is quickly lost. Other bands slow things down now and again during the course of an album, for example Dream Theater do it to catch their breath, so maybe Algabas should consider this for their next album. 

The standout tracks for me are The White Stone and the instrumental Walking Around Jerusalem. The opening thirty seconds of The White Stone has a strong driving bass with underlying keyboard harmony and the guitar providing catchy thematic phrases that also bookend the song. Some of the best guitar playing on the album. I liked the dual synth and guitar motif played around the 3:34 mark, adding quality to the song.

Walking Around Jerusalem, has a great opening blast of rock. The bass playing here reminded me of Chris Squire, the song also featuring more great drumming, possibly the best on the album. I also could hear some snippets of Rush in there. A track worth checking out.

Other album highlights: The Chimney House features a nice sax solo over a 7/8 time signature. Galileo features Sergey probably at his best with its catchy refrain. There are plenty of good guitar solos sprinkled throughout the album on songs such as Secrets of the Sky (which also features a nice funky style rhythm around the 2:37 mark), The War (including a Gilmour style slide guitar section) and Express Train.

One of the weaker aspects of the album I feel is in the keyboard department and in some places the choice of sounds. For example, the opening bars of the first track Angels and Demons has a sound that I can only describe as sounding like steel drums. I suspect it's supposed to be some form of strings and it just didn't do it for me.

While researching the band I discovered that they had looked high and low for a keyboard player but to no avail. So guitarist Ilya Frolov stepped up to the challenge and his resultant keyboard playing is OK and therein lies the problem - it's just OK. For example, the track The Chimney House has a piano solo that can only be described as lacklustre. If you were to give those bars of the song to, say, The Tangent's Andy Tillison or Dream Theater's Jordan Rudess, then the resulting piano solo would take the song to a much higher plateau.

The word Algabas means "thinking ahead". For Algabas to move forward and pique the interest of more discerning neo-prog fans, there are a few things they might wish to consider. Firstly they need to think about singing in English if they want to attract more listeners (they went part way with the song titles being in English on the album cover). Secondly, their music desperately needs some vocal harmonies to add more texture. That could be by having another singer in the band. Thirdly, they need to continue the search for a very good keyboard player or alternatively Ilya works hard to develop his technique further which will take time. Fourthly, some slow acoustic/ballad type songs. Lastly, maybe consider writing longer pieces of music.

I've enjoyed listening to this album and it's worth checking out via the Bandcamp page. Many thanks to Ilya for supplying band information. As to scoring on the DPRP 1 to 10 neo-progometer, this album is not an 8 and it's not a 5 but straddles somewhere between these two scores."http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201429.php#algabas 

ALGABAS 「Angels And Demons」'13 

変わり種の多いプログレ系の中でも近年とみに屈折して変則的なスタイルだったり音を出すバンドが多いロシアのウラジミールから、またまた変異種的ネオプログレッシヴ・バンド4人組が出現した。

本作は2013年にDL販売先行でリリースされ今回目出度くデュプリ盤のリリースとなった訳だが、この辺りも最近は『音源はDL販売だけでいいや』というこだわりの少ないミュージシャンが多い中、アーティスティックなこだわりを持っているバンドの心意気が感じられて大変よろしい。 

美声とは程遠い癖の強い歌声(非英語)と芝居がかった歌唱法を聞けば、ヴォーカルがFishに多大な影響を受けているのは一目瞭然で、実際インタビューでフェヴァリットアーティストにFishの名を挙げている。

バンドサウンドは必ずしもシンフォニックな形態に重きを置いておらず、一筋縄でいかぬトンデモ展開や強引な畳みかけのある整合性は今一つと言ったヘヴィ・プログレスタイルで、心地よさだとか美しさという観点だとイマイチとなるだろう。
但し、反対に怒濤の展開の面白さや意外な切り返しは意表を突きまくり、ヘヴィメタリックでダーティなGと如何にもプログレというシンフォニックで重厚なKeyのオーケストレーションの絡みは他ではなかなか耳にする事が出来ぬ面白いサウンドと言えるので、居心地の悪い楽曲のテクニカルでない駄作と簡単に切り捨てるのは短絡すぎる。

2007年にウラジミールでバンドは結成され、リーダーはカザフスタン出身の Sergey Milyaev(B&Vo)で、1stアルバム完成までに幾度かのメンバーチェンジを経ているとの事。
現在はB&Vo、Key、Ds、G、の4人組で、なかなかメンツが安定しなかったのはズバリ金銭問題だそうです(つд`)
お国柄の為か音楽活動だけで食べていく事が全く許されぬ状況のようで、本人達もその事を重々承知しているにも関わらず『我々はヘヴィプログレサウンドとロシアの伝統的な音楽要素をもつネオプログレッシブ・ロックをクリエイトし、演奏する!』と宣言し、果敢に革新的なサウンドを創造する事に挑戦すると、アルバム全曲の詩だけでなくこれまでに詩集を2冊執筆している Sergey Milyaev氏は意気込んでいる。

そんな姿を知ればバンドのファンならずとも音楽ファンならば応援したくなるのは人情ってもんでしょう。
是非、頑張って欲しいものです。

因みにバンド名の「Algabas」は“ thinking ahead = 先々の事まで考える”の意味をカザフ語に訳した言葉らしい。 

ALGABAS "Angels And Demons" '13

Vladimir from the Russian band that emit sound or style was irregular and refracted Tomini recent years in the progressive system a lot of novelty, the more strange heterologous neo progressive four-piece band has emerged once again.

This work to the fact that the system was the release of Dupri board happily this time released on DL sales prior to 2013, but among musicians with little feelings "sound source Ya do is DL sale" and many, artistic recently around here Very well very spirit of the band have such feelings are felt.

To hear the singing method theatrical (non-English) voice strong habit far from beautiful voice, vocal is receiving a significant impact on Fish is self-explanatory, the name of the Fish in transfected Cordova lit artist in an interview actual cites.

In heavy progressive style that said, do not put the emphasis on form symphonic necessarily, consistency with the Tatamikake aggressive and outrageous deployment not to go in the ordinary means and one more, the band sound that's in terms of beauty, That it is comfort It would be good enough.
However, a surprising counterattack and fun of deployment of anger wave Rolled thrust a surprise on the other, is that you hear quite the other entangled orchestration of heavy Key symphonic called progressive really a G dirty with heavy metallic Because it said that it is interesting sound, which is not possible, truncating and easy trash not a technical of music uncomfortable it too short.

Band is formed in Vladimir in 2007, the leader of that Sergey Milyaev born in Kazakhstan (B & Vo), and has gone through a change of members several times before 1st album complete.
(The one д `) in foursome B & Vo, Key, Ds, of G,, the face did not quite stable seems right out money matters now
And like a situation that will eat only musical activity or because of the conditions of a country is not to be allowed at all, "Our traditional Russian and heavy progressive rock sound, regardless of the person who may also have heavy people know about it The create a neo progressive rock with the music element, to play! If you challenge that we declared ", and to create a sound innovative valiantly, Sergey Milyaev, who has written two books a collection of poems so far as well as the poetry of the album songs are excitedly.

You will want to cheer if music fans not even a fan of the band Knowing such a figure it will massaged the humanity.
Come and is what I want to do my best.

By the way the band name "Algabas" seems to words translated into Kazakh the meaning of "to think that the thinking ahead = distant future". (Google translated)

An interview with the band, writen by Olav Martin Bj๘rnsen http://houseofprog.com/hop/?p=7047

Edited by Svetonio - July 12 2014 at 13:37
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 01:34
Personally I'd toss them to Neo I think. And for those with an interest in such matters, the band is signed to Russian label MALS who officially released their CD earlier this year.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 01:36
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Personally I'd toss them to Neo I think. And for those with an interest in such matters, the band is signed to Russian label MALS who officially released their CD earlier this year.

Thumbs Up
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 15:33
Yes, sounds like heavy Neo-prog

I would say Neo first and if they think it is too heavy, HP will take them

Svet - could you rename thread please
 Post Reply Post Reply