FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis reunite for a new BBC 2 documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 05:22
Money waxes lyrical......or money talks. Hope is free!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 06:28
Really great news! Big smile
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 08:38
Just saw Gabriel in 2011 on a talk show saying the door is not locked for a Genesis reunion---but once he agreed to it--it all got very big --very fast and he didn't think he could commit the time to it---also Hackett said recently he's in touch with all of them now and then--it's not like they hate each other or don't speak---from all I read it's really all up to Peter, as I know Banks won't do it without Peter. I mean a one off performance of Lamb---to be filmed would be cool.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 09:35
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Just saw Gabriel in 2011 on a talk show saying the door is not locked for a Genesis reunion---but once he agreed to it--it all got very big --very fast and he didn't think he could commit the time to it---also Hackett said recently he's in touch with all of them now and then--it's not like they hate each other or don't speak---from all I read it's really all up to Peter, as I know Banks won't do it without Peter. I mean a one off performance of Lamb---to be filmed would be cool.

I doubt a whole performance of The Lamb will happen, but realistically they could very well perform a selection of songs from Gabriel years.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Guitarman1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 12:36
A week of performences in London, and a week in New York, all to be filmed?!

I think that would satisfy most fans.

I also think that the Money to the "musos" would be enough.

What do you think?
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 16:58
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I doubt a whole performance of The Lamb will happen, but realistically they could very well perform a selection of songs from Gabriel years.

Gabriel said in a recent interview that the Lamb and Supper's Ready are the two things that interest him when he thinks back to those times---can't see him doing Hogweed or I know what I like for example.
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 17:09

Gabriel said in a recent interview that the Lamb and Supper's Ready are the two things that interest him when he thinks back to those times---can't see him doing Hogweed or I know what I like for example.

Did he say this?, well sounds good, I thought that he is not interested in anything from those times. In any case these two masterpieces have lyrics from his own. Yes, I can understand what he is saying.

Where did you read this? such an interesting thing... or you listened it somewhere?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 21:53
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Did he say this?, well sounds good, I thought that he is not interested in anything from those times. In any case these two masterpieces have lyrics from his own. Yes, I can understand what he is saying.
Where did you read this? such an interesting thing... or you listened it somewhere?

Actually, if a reunion would happen, which once again, I still think is not very likely, I would be rather disapointed if they did it for a complete performance of The Lamb. That one is my least favourite of the classic era albums, and has very few songs I really like. I would very much prefer a collection of songs from the classic era.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 21:58

If they do anything from The Lamb, then I'm sure it will merely selections from the album. Like I said, I find it highly unlikely they would perform the whole double album. It would be fantastic if they did since The Lamb is my favorite Genesis album, but, again, let's be realistic here. Supper's Ready is a definite possibility though.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 01:27
The Musical Box
The Fountain Of Salmacis
Suppers Ready
Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
Firth Of Fifth
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway ( the first side in old vinyl terms and maybe the last two songs on the album would do me)

encore tracks
The Knife
Solsbury Hill 
A Whiter Shade Of Pale
(does it have to be just Genesis tracks?)

and then I wake up
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 04:44
It's fun to speculate but I think that a musical reunion is very unlikely.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 04:54
Can agree with the previous 2 posts by Richardh and Kirillov. Love Richard's song-selection, but have my doubts anything will come of this 'reunion' other than an historical retrospective interview with their current perspectives....
"Pete, I can't believe you shaved a wedge out of your head - what were you thinking ??"
"Oh, that mellotron was a real pain in the ass to work with - never again"
"What time sig was that in again ??"

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 18 2014 at 04:59
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 21:08
My take on which songs I'd like to have them play would be: The Knife, Musical Box, Supper's Ready, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Firth of Fifth, Cinema Show (with Aisle of Plenty at the end), In the Cage.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 11:13
If Gabriel is turning down a reunion of this band, then he is a bigger douche than I thought.

Shame on him for being a drama queen.  In my opinion, anything he has done AFTER Genesis is feeble at best.  He is the Yoko  Ono of Genesis.  Smasher of creativity and collaboration.  Crusher of musical hopes and dreams.  Disrespector of fans everywhere and an ego maniac.

They should reunite and have Fish take his place.  At least Fish still has some prog balls left.  I think Gabriel is a pandering waste of time overrated prima donna.    A former multi instrumentalist that would rather dance around in big pants then play an instrument.  Shame on him.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 11:55
^ Wow ... Geek Confused Wacko ... though I have read posts more negative (let alone weirder) than that. Stern Smile

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 19 2014 at 11:57
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 12:26
I think there is a frustration because they do get along and seem to like one another (unlike Yes or Floyd or Zep) and their 70's music is so important to their career no matter what Banks thinks lol---Gabriel says he can't sing that high anymore--but sometimes creative people don't want to revisit something they did in their 20's ---I think they don't want to think that the best they did was then (which is what I think) --as artists they want to believe their best work came as they got older and wiser.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 17:16
The obvious thought occurs to me that if Gabriel turns down the chance then why not bring in Simon Collins to play drums so as to free up his dad to concentrate on vocals as well as avoiding potential physical back issues? It would be a bit like Jason Bonham taking the drum stool for Led Zep of course but that worked okay didn't it? 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 17:20
^Brilliant Richard. No wonder why the UK is the home of prog.Thumbs Up
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 17:24
From listening to the Dimensionaut album, I think that would be a great idea. He has his father's chops for sure....and a little zing of his own (I'm not crazy about the sound of his drums on that album though, but he rocks).

Then again, I have a bigger chance of riding my bike on the moon than the dream team ever getting it on again.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 17:24
^ Not sure where all this is at at the moment but I assume a lamb album celebration is out of the picture. LOL

Edited by SteveG - June 19 2014 at 17:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>