Topic ClosedGenesis reunite for a new BBC 2 documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 19:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Brilliant Richard. No wonder why the UK is the home of prog.Thumbs Up

Banks (multi-millionaire from 3 piece Genesis for 30 years) ---says reunion only possible with Peter---said it numerous times---Banks dropped out of being on a Hackett record a few years back ---after he agreed to do it---because he didn't want to give anyone the wrong idea---Confused
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 19:56
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

If Gabriel is turning down a reunion of this band, then he is a bigger douche than I thought.

Shame on him for being a drama queen.  In my opinion, anything he has done AFTER Genesis is feeble at best.  He is the Yoko  Ono of Genesis.  Smasher of creativity and collaboration.  Crusher of musical hopes and dreams.  Disrespector of fans everywhere and an ego maniac.

They should reunite and have Fish take his place.  At least Fish still has some prog balls left.  I think Gabriel is a pandering waste of time overrated prima donna.    A former multi instrumentalist that would rather dance around in big pants then play an instrument.  Shame on him.

C'mon, don't sugar coat.  What do you really think?

Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 20:58

If Gabriel is turning down a reunion of this band, then he is a bigger douche than I thought.

Shame on him for being a drama queen.  In my opinion, anything he has done AFTER Genesis is feeble at best.  He is the Yoko  Ono of Genesis.  Smasher of creativity and collaboration.  Crusher of musical hopes and dreams.  Disrespector of fans everywhere and an ego maniac.

They should reunite and have Fish take his place.  At least Fish still has some prog balls left.  I think Gabriel is a pandering waste of time overrated prima donna.    A former multi instrumentalist that would rather dance around in big pants then play an instrument.  Shame on him.

I think you're way off the mark here. Gabriel left Genesis completely on his own because he wanted to do something else musically then what the band were doing. His wife also had a difficult pregnancy and he wanted to be there for her and his child. What's so egomaniacal about that? Whose dreams and hopes did he crush by leaving the band? If anything, the Genesis members were selfish, especially Banks, because they didn't realize that there's more to life than music. Your family comes first. Anyway, Gabriel spent a lot of time with Genesis and his mind was going in a different direction. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Gabriel for wanting to do other things.

As much as I'm sure we all would have loved Gabriel to stick it out with Genesis, you have to realize that he wanted something else for himself and I'm completely for that because he has made some great music regardless of what you think and has had a remarkable solo career, again, regardless of what you think.

Fish hasn't done anything worthwhile in years IMHO and has continuously been eclipsed by what Marillion have been doing, but I've never been a big fan of Fish anyway.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 19 2014 at 20:58
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 21:12

Gabriel...a drama queen.  In my opinion, anything he has done AFTER Genesis is feeble at best.  He is the Yoko  Ono of Genesis.  Smasher of creativity and collaboration.

I see....and everything Phil Collins has done in and out of Genesis has been the height of progressive and musical sophistication and intelligence?

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 21:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The obvious thought occurs to me that if Gabriel turns down the chance then why not bring in Simon Collins to play drums so as to free up his dad to concentrate on vocals as well as avoiding potential physical back issues? It would be a bit like Jason Bonham taking the drum stool for Led Zep of course but that worked okay didn't it? 

I didn't know Phil's son was a drummer (though I think I had seen his name on the Genesis Revisited album as a singer), but this would be truly wonderful. Once again, I wouldn't get my hopes high, but I guess that could work just fine. And I guess he could do some suporting vocals too. And since we are in the mood of thinking about relatives helping complete the line-up, perhaps Steve's brother could come in to play the flute too.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 22:18
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The obvious thought occurs to me that if Gabriel turns down the chance then why not bring in Simon Collins to play drums so as to free up his dad to concentrate on vocals as well as avoiding potential physical back issues? It would be a bit like Jason Bonham taking the drum stool for Led Zep of course but that worked okay didn't it? 

I didn't know Phil's son was a drummer (though I think I had seen his name on the Genesis Revisited album as a singer), but this would be truly wonderful. Once again, I wouldn't get my hopes high, but I guess that could work just fine. And I guess he could do some suporting vocals too. And since we are in the mood of thinking about relatives helping complete the line-up, perhaps Steve's brother could come in to play the flute too.

All wishful thinking.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 01:49
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I think you're way off the mark here. Gabriel left Genesis completely on his own because he wanted to do something else musically then what the band were doing. His wife also had a difficult pregnancy and he wanted to be there for her and his child. What's so egomaniacal about that? Whose dreams and hopes did he crush by leaving the band? If anything, the Genesis members were selfish, especially Banks, because they didn't realize that there's more to life than music. Your family comes first. Anyway, Gabriel spent a lot of time with Genesis and his mind was going in a different direction. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Gabriel for wanting to do other things.

As much as I'm sure we all would have loved Gabriel to stick it out with Genesis, you have to realize that he wanted something else for himself and I'm completely for that because he has made some great music regardless of what you think and has had a remarkable solo career, again, regardless of what you think.

Fish hasn't done anything worthwhile in years IMHO and has continuously been eclipsed by what Marillion have been doing, but I've never been a big fan of Fish anyway.

Yep that original post was daft beyond extremes.Pretty much everything Gabriel did eclipsed everything Genesis did from 1977 onwards. Gabriel developed and moved forwards and even established his own record label also giving a lot back to other artists with his continued support of 'world music'. Gabriel is an absolute shining example of how a music artist should behave.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 07:14

Steve Hackett @HackettOfficial 1m

To my knowledge there are no plans for a Genesis reformation including the five of us. We only met to be interviewed for the documentary.

Help me I'm falling!
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 07:27

Steve Hackett @HackettOfficial 39s

Yes I'm always open to the possibility of a reunion and I hope the others are too, but it's not currently on the table.

Help me I'm falling!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123