Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHenry Kaiser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which YouTube comment do you agree with?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [50.00%]
5 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 12:51
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Cali_Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 14:10
I've never understood the comments about him being "smug". I even looked the word up, cuz I didn't understand why they were applying that to him, I though maybe I was missing something, lol! And those comments about his family background are irrelevant to the music. It's obnoxious how people imply that he's bought his way into the scene. But what's the most revealing about those trolls is that they ignore his better playing; they ignore the diving vids that have very cool accompaniment, a couple of acoustic guitar vids he's got on there, and some interesting experimental stuff that doesn't involve extreme FX, and gets very positive comments. So you know his critics have an agenda. But what agenda? Why the dogged bashing?

And some of those critiques are ignorant. "He doesn't know the fretboard." Really? How is that even possible? It's just spewing trash. I don't get it.

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

He probably is experimenting with extreme foot pedals. They're not pristine covers. They're live practice sessions uploaded to YouTube. The Ship Ahoy cover was done in someone's living room. These YouTube vids are not the equivalent of any album he has put out, and I don't know why anyone would expect it to be. He takes his own liberties, but he's an improviser. I personally like that. I'm an improviser and would take liberties with anything I were to cover too. All that aside, the YouTube comments as I recall seldom both recognize the Zappa cover he's playing and trash it, while many of the comments trash the actual music itself. Other comments trash him for being a "smug a****le" or being the grandson of a rich tycoon. Those commenters tend to also trash the music. There's an asymmetry there.

Edited by Cali_Dreamer - August 13 2014 at 20:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12