Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion's "Brave"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marillion's "Brave"
    Posted: June 20 2014 at 23:55
Marillion's Brave

Lots of great information here about Brave:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brave is one of those albums that took me awhile to appreciate, but I honestly warmed to it rather quickly. The ominous, gloomy atmosphere of the album really drew me into it's sound-world. Steve Rothery is another strong selling point for this album as this has some of his most emotive playing on it to date. Mark Kelly also contributed some remarkable textures to the music. Of course, Pete and Ian are fantastic. Hogarth really believed in this album and his conviction is so genuine. His voice never sounded better IMHO.

What do you guys think of the album? Even though I profess my love for the album, it's terribly uneven. I don't like most of the middle section like Hollow Man, Hard As Love, or Paper Lies. I do like Alone Again in the Lap of Luxury, but felt it doesn't belong on Brave musically speaking. The title track really gets things moving again and what can I say about The Great Escape? It's a phenomenal piece of music. Made Again shouldn't be on the album and EMI are morons for even questioning Marillion's artistic motives, but labels are in the market to make money of course, but that's a topic for another thread. Big smile

Anyway, chat away!

Edited by Mirror Image - June 20 2014 at 23:56
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 00:18
I myself, honestly love the album and it was an album that grew on me very quickly; however, this is an album that I haven't listed to in over a year, so to be fair to your thread ill give it another spin in the next couple of days. ;)
A good album indeed and an excellent audio recording released from EMI records. Just Stunning.

Well, you've got me excited to revisit this one. Thanks.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 00:22
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I myself, honestly love the album and it was an album that grew on me very quickly; however, this is an album that I haven't listed to in over a year, so to be fair to your thread ill give it another spin in the next couple of days. ;)
A good album indeed and an excellent audio recording released from EMI records. Just Stunning.

You're welcome! This album has been circling my current playlist for the past few weeks and each time I listen to it, I'm finding how much I really love the album. Runaway Girl is another stunning piece of music that I should have mentioned in my initial post. I agree with you about the audio quality of Brave. I'd love to hear a 5.1 surround sound mix of the original album.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 08:59
What can I say. Brave is a fantastic inspired concept album that does indeed have many missteps that are more than compensated for by  numerous extraordinary bursts of fantastic ethereal dramatic music. My only real gripe with Brave is that it appears to be an album without a resloved ending (like many of the albums fantastic epic songs!) LOL But it remains one of my favorite all time works of the band and thanks for posting this thread about it.

Edited by SteveG - June 21 2014 at 15:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 09:06
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

What can I say. Brave is a fantastic inspired concept album that does indeed have many misteps that are more compensated by  numerous extraordinary bursts of fantastic ethereal dramatic music. My only real gripe with Brave is that it appears to be an album without a resoved ending (like many of the albums fantastic epic songs!) LOL But it remains one of my favorite all time works of the band and thanks for posting this thread about it.

Yes, beyond the missteps, this is a work of musical brilliance. As for an unresolved ending, could Made Again count? The Great Escape obviously has the woman plummeting to her death, but I don't think I've even looked at the lyrics of Made Again, which, of course, is what EMI suggested Marillion tack on to the end of the album instead of it ending on that fatal note.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 09:12
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

What can I say. Brave is a fantastic inspired concept album that does indeed have many misteps that are more compensated by  numerous extraordinary bursts of fantastic ethereal dramatic music. My only real gripe with Brave is that it appears to be an album without a resoved ending (like many of the albums fantastic epic songs!) LOL But it remains one of my favorite all time works of the band and thanks for posting this thread about it.

Yes, beyond the missteps, this is a work of musical brilliance. As for an unresolved ending, could Made Again count? The Great Escape obviously has the woman plummeting to her death, but I don't think I've even looked at the lyrics of Made Again, which, of course, is what EMI suggested Marillion tack on to the end of the album instead of it ending on that fatal note.
Just MHO on this one MI, but I feel that the band may have felt that Brave originally ending with The Great Escape  did not provide closure to the album, so Made Again was a clumsy attempt to achieve that with, what I felt, had poor results. Again, it's just my opinion but if it works for other people that's great.

Edited by SteveG - June 21 2014 at 15:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 09:39

Just MHO on this one MI, but I feel that the band may have felt Brave originally ending with The Great Escape  did not provide closure to the album, so Made Again was a clumsy attempt to achieve that with, what I felt, had poor results. Again, it's just my opinion but if it works for other people that's great.

But, it was EMI's urging that made Marillion close the album with Made Again, correct? If I'm not mistaken the original ending of the album is the sound of the water and that just played out. Made Again isn't a bad song IMHO, I just think it's intention was of the band's but rather them trying to please EMI. It doesn't come as a surprise that Afraid of Sunlight is Marillion's last for the EMI label.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 09:45

Just MHO on this one MI, but I feel that the band may have felt Brave originally ending with The Great Escape  did not provide closure to the album, so Made Again was a clumsy attempt to achieve that with, what I felt, had poor results. Again, it's just my opinion but if it works for other people that's great.

But, it was EMI's urging that made Marillion close the album with Made Again, correct? If I'm not mistaken the original ending of the album is the sound of the water and that just played out. Made Again isn't a bad song IMHO, I just think it's intention was of the band's but rather them trying to please EMI. It doesn't come as a surprise that Afraid of Sunlight is Marillion's last for the EMI label.
I've heard some conflicting stories but on reflection it does seem like a Marillion thing to do in concluding the album with The Great Escape. In that case, I might feel that album was unresovled! LOL  No matter, it's a great album no matter what were the circumstances for the inclusion of Made Again. Hope this helps.

Edited by SteveG - June 21 2014 at 09:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 09:51

I've heard some conflicting stories but on reflection it does seem like a Marillion thing to do in concluding the album with The Great Escape. In that case, I might feel that album was unresovled! LOL  No matter, it's a great album no matter what were the circumstances for the inclusion of Made Again. Hope this helps.

Absolutely, SteveG. It's a great album with or without Made AgainCool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 09:51
I wish I could find me a Brave t-shirt.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 10:09
A brilliant album and a masterpiece in my mind. The 2013 remix from original vinyl masters is insane! Marillion consistently put out some of the best vinyl, no question.

I am good with the "endings" since they created the story from essentially nothing but an incident, that seed has grown into a timeless album.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 10:17
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

A brilliant album and a masterpiece in my mind. The 2013 remix from original vinyl masters is insane! Marillion consistently put out some of the best vinyl, no question.

I am good with the "endings" since they created the story from essentially nothing but an incident, that seed has grown into a timeless album.
Great point. I think the topic for the album was no more than a brief post in a newspaper or something like that about the girl who couldn't speak on the bridge and that the band got a hold of that small story and turned into a fantastic concept.

Edited by SteveG - June 21 2014 at 10:17
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 10:17
I haven't played it for ages but I remember I really enjoyed it when I bought it.  Will have to dig it out sometime, thanks for the reminder!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 10:39
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

If I had a record player, I would definitely be buying Brave on LP. I'm sure it sounds amazing. Yeah, the endings aren't really an issue for me just wanted to make some observations about them. I believe it was Hogarth who heard the radio announcement about the woman wondering on the Severn Bridge. How he, and John Helmer, were able to turn this little snippet of news into a full-fledged concept album is nothing short of brilliant.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 13:54
Simply the finest thing Marillion ever did.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 21:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It's certainly one of the finest things they did, but there's so many other great Marillion albums that are as musically satisfying as Brave. I really think Clutching At Straws, Afraid of Sunlight, and Marbles is up there with Brave. I'm starting to really come around to This Strange Engine as well. Anoraknophobia is also pretty damn good as is marillion.com.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 22 2014 at 00:31
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 00:30
*shrug* whatever.
What?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 02:42
I didn't like it all and didn't enjoy them playing it on the Brave tour (at Cardiff St Davids Hall). Couldn't hear Hogarth properly. That said it must be 15 years at least since I last listened to it. I guess its time to dig it out. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:31

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

You're welcome! This album has been circling my current playlist for the past few weeks and each time I listen to it, I'm finding how much I really love the album. Runaway Girl is another stunning piece of music that I should have mentioned in my initial post. I agree with you about the audio quality of Brave. I'd love to hear a 5.1 surround sound mix of the original album.

Ah yes. Brave in good old DTS 24/96 would work brilliantly, but the latest remaster pressing for CD format is in a lovely 24bit/48k bitstream and sounds out of this freaking world when the CD is ran through a high quality DAC. It rivals any vinyl/turntable setting, especially through headphones.

Meanwhile I gave Brave a listen last night and this morning. My first impressions still remain the same where the last half of the album (BRAVE through MADE AGAIN) is still my favourite. And it's funny, the album sonically would end nicely after the GREAT ESCAPE. Much better than falling from the moon and Made again. Album overall, ends oddly and abruptly and that has always bothered me, but lyrically it all makes sense.

Talking a bit about the beginning (intro) of the album from BRIDGE to RUNNAWAY I just love Mark Kelly's highly ambient synth style. So moving and beautiful as Hogarth's vocals crawl along. Love it.

However, the middle section of the 5 part suite from GOODBYE TO ALL THAT through STANDING IN THE SWING loses me a bit for the first 4mins, but the last 7min of the suite are just beautiful and Rothery's guitar comes into full flight while Trewas's bass pulsates magically all the way through.
P.T is the best and key performer on this album for me. His bass playing is beyond words. I love the sheer warmth of his bass sound and it is so soothing to listen to after a long day.

Album gets a 4/5 in my book.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:33

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It's certainly one of the finest things they did, but there's so many other great Marillion albums that are as musically satisfying as Brave. I really think Clutching At Straws, Afraid of Sunlight, and Marbles is up there with Brave. I'm starting to really come around to This Strange Engine as well. Anoraknophobia is also pretty damn good as is marillion.com.

Strange engine. Yup. Me too. Thanks to Jośe 'Catcher 10.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>