Topic ClosedMini LPs from Japan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini LPs from Japan
    Posted: June 21 2014 at 15:09
Hi guys!
Few months ago I found Japanese version of albums called miniLPs. Maybe they are more expensive than those in jewelboxes, but they look smarter in my opinion. Is there anyone who has some miniLPs and can share reflections about them. I plan to buy a few items on CDJapan because they are not available in Poland. Is there any difference in sound between normal albums and Japanese releases? Would you recommend them? I look for experimental prog, e.g. Univers Zero discography, Art Zoyd, Popol Vuh etc. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 00:25
Technically there is no difference in sound, nor could there be, the CD inside the packaging is the same Red Book Standard format as a Jewel case or Digipak CD.

This should not be confused with the quality of the mastering, as we all know this varies considerably and is purely a matter of personal preference, so the perceived sound depends upon which remastered version of the CD is used - the people who make the paper-sleeve replicas do not have the ability to produce a new remaster. People who claim paper-sleeve replica's are superior "audiophile" quality will also buy snake oil.

What you are paying for in the increased price is the reproduction packaging so if the original vinyl album had run-of-the-mill packaging then a paper-sleeve replicas will be unimpressive. Personally, I only go for those albums that had impressive packaging to begin with, such as Consequences by Godley & Creme and Pentateuch of Cosmogony by Greenslade (both of which I have), but a paper-sleeve replica of a bog-standard gatefold that didn't even come with a lyric sheet... what's the point of that? 

At the end of the day, regardless of what the original packaging is like, what you are getting is a twee novelty item for fans and collectors, not a better product.

What?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 02:31
imho In Japan people have more than special feelings for LP (yeah not CD) so some labels have released mini LP-shaped CDs for sales of old / traditional masterpieces.
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 13:37
Ok, thanks for responses. I just wanted to ask you what you think about those sleeves. I see it isn't really worth buying them if you can buy the same album and is quite cheaper. However, I gonna buy few albums that are not available in my country, e.g. Weidorje or Heresie by Univers Zero (because I don't like the cover of remastered edition). Today I recieved the newest UZ album Phosphorescent Dreams and I have inside a "booklet" written in... Japanese. I know Arcangelo is Japanese company but it'd nice if they included in these booklets some text in English.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 18:29
i suggest you check out this vinyl community youtuber named Robert Z, who is a HUGE fan of these things, even those you two might not have the same interests in music; here's the link to his channel:

Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply