FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFleetwood Mac - Rumours

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Posted: June 23 2014 at 06:47
Any fans? Interesting piece here on the making of the album: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/rumours
"I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had 6 months to live" Keith Richards

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 07:42

It's not that hard to insert a hyperlink.

Edited by chopper - June 23 2014 at 07:44
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 08:21
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Sometimes it is actually. No matter what you do, it just doesn't work.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 08:47
I love Fleetwood Mac.  Rumours is an insanely good album.  Lots of work went into that thing, and it shows in the details in the sonics.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 07:03
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Sometimes it is actually. No matter what you do, it just doesn't work.

Sometimes you have to post the link and then edit your post and post the link again. It's an intermittant fault and may depend on which browser or OS you're using (?)

Otherwise your original link will just take you to the page of the thread rather than the article or clip you're trying to link to. Don't know why. It's a known bug, or at least it should be known. I did report it about four years ago and was basically told it didn't matter and that I shouldn't complain about such things because so much else was good about the site (which it is of course). I think I must have misunderstood what the 'Report bugs here' forum was for..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 07:09
I find Fleetwood Mac to be hit and miss. Rumours is good but it's hardly earth shattering. Go your Own Way and The Chain are classics. The rest of the album has its moments but nothing grabs you by the nuts and swings you round the room. Don't Stop is drivel and makes me think of Bill Clinton. No need for that...
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 07:36
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I find Fleetwood Mac to be hit and miss. Rumours is good but it's hardly earth shattering. Go your Own Way and The Chain are classics. The rest of the album has its moments but nothing grabs you by the nuts and swings you round the room. Don't Stop is drivel and makes me think of Bill Clinton. No need for that...

I generally don't approve of music which becomes physically violent with me.  Tongue

Rumours is a great album, although at this point I've probably heard most of those songs a billion or so times.  So it doesn't get played often any more.  I'm more likely to play some of their other albums, their self-titled 10th album, Tusk, Mirage, and the albums from my favorite, but usually overlooked, era of the Mac,the Bob Welch years.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 07:45
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I generally don't approve of music which becomes physically violent with me.  TongueRumours is a great album, although at this point I've probably heard most of those songs a billion or so times.  So it doesn't get played often any more.  I'm more likely to play some of their other albums, their self-titled 10th album, Tusk, Mirage, and the albums from my favorite, but usually overlooked, era of the Mac,the Bob Welch years.

Yeah, they turn out a classic song every now and then. Mirage is quite a good album. Gypsy is among my fave FM tunes. Love the way Stevie sings that song. I enjoyed Tango.. too.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 10:08
I'll take Peter Green-era Mac, and you can have the rest.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 10:27
It is a bona fide classic from one of the finest bands ever to stride this earth. I will never tire of listening to an album which has become the soundtrack to many people of a generation struggling with relationships and life.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 13:38

I generally don't approve of music which becomes physically violent with me.  Tongue

Rumours is a great album, although at this point I've probably heard most of those songs a billion or so times.  So it doesn't get played often any more.  I'm more likely to play some of their other albums, their self-titled 10th album, Tusk, Mirage, and the albums from my favorite, but usually overlooked, era of the Mac,the Bob Welch years.
For the past few years my fav Mac album has been Bare Trees. Sorta rock, sorta pastoral, strange at times, but pretty cool.
I need to check out the post Green/pre Welch 'Kiln House' album someday...heard it's good.

Always liked Rumours, especially the first two tracks on side two.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 14:06
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

For the past few years my fav Mac album has been Bare Trees. Sorta rock, sorta pastoral, strange at times, but pretty cool.
I need to check out the post Green/pre Welch 'Kiln House' album someday...heard it's good.

Kiln House is quite different from anything else they did.  It's kind of a mixed bag, honestly.  It's dominated by Jeremy Spencer's 50's rock and roll pastiches.  And then there's great classic blues rock like "Station Man" and "Tell Me All the Things You Do" weaved in between.  Strange and cool, but inconsistent.  About as different from "Then Play On" as it could have been.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 24 2014 at 14:07
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 14:17

I'm a big fan. I ormally don't like this kind of thing but its all good!

I also like

not available anywhere other than Youtube

(I like the cover too)

Help me I'm falling!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 23:15
I have always preferred the Green years but then I bought the original lp's back then and my friend Bill and I were into most of the early British blues bands. I usually play a compilation of early Mac things (with Green Manalishi on it..) and Then Play On, Kiln House, and sometimes Future Games and Bare Trees.
Haven't played the first 2 with Buckingham and Nicks for some time.....got tired of hearing them at various peoples houses and all over the radio back in the day. Nicks and Buckingham wrote some good songs but by then I was not into the new/altered sound of the band and moved on.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 06:55
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I'm a big fan. I ormally don't like this kind of thing but its all good!

I also like

not available anywhere other than Youtube

(I like the cover too)

This is a very good album. I did actually find it on the internet somewhere a few years back along with some live outtakes.
It's now on Amazon but expensive.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 07:27
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It is a bona fide classic from one of the finest bands ever to stride this earth. I will never tire of listening to an album which has become the soundtrack to many people of a generation struggling with relationships and life.

Nuff said Thumbs Up
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 07:42
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I'll take Peter Green-era Mac, and you can have the rest.
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have always preferred the Green years but then I bought the original lp's back then and my friend Bill and I were into most of the early British blues bands.

Agreed.

I only every liked The Chain from Rumours and then only because "the good bit" was used as the theme for BBC's coverage of F1.
What?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 08:58
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

I generally don't approve of music which becomes physically violent with me.  TongueRumours is a great album, although at this point I've probably heard most of those songs a billion or so times.  So it doesn't get played often any more.  I'm more likely to play some of their other albums, their self-titled 10th album, Tusk, Mirage, and the albums from my favorite, but usually overlooked, era of the Mac,the Bob Welch years.

Kiln House is quite different from anything else they did.  It's kind of a mixed bag, honestly.  It's dominated by Jeremy Spencer's 50's rock and roll pastiches.  And then there's great classic blues rock like "Station Man" and "Tell Me All the Things You Do" weaved in between.  Strange and cool, but inconsistent.  About as different from "Then Play On" as it could have been.

All the Danny Kirwan songs on Kiln House are quite good. The Jeremy Spencer stuff is more hit or miss. Still worth hearing for the Kirwan stuff and a few of the Spencer songs. I like Bare Trees quite a bit, although Future Games has been my favorite Mac album for quite some time now. Mystery to Me, the first post-Kirwan album is also brilliant. While I'm not quite as much into the Green years, Then Play On was brilliant as they moved from a straight blues sound to more of a blues rock sound.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 08:02
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Nuff said Thumbs Up

Yes, well said and nuff said.
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 08:56
Rumours is one of my favorite albums, and it is definitely not prog! However, it so well written, and so creatively arranged and produced, that it's brilliant! Albums like Rumours are the reason why we should be as open-minded in our music consumption as we possibly can.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>