Topic ClosedBIG FIVE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 19:05
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

If I were to replace a band, it would likely be Floyd – replaced by Tull.

ELP must remain. They're too unique. Same with Crimson. Genesis I've never thought of a "symph" band. ELP is classical rock, and the Yes brand of symph is quite different. Floyd became very popular but they're pretty much a glorified psych band, IMO.

Imo, just because Pink Floyd were psychedelic / space rock band, they must be in the Big FIve.

I think Hawkwind would be a better representative of psych/space rock, IMHO.

We should just have a Big 10.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 22:10
I didn't finish reading the whole thread, but I read quiet a bit about replacing one of the so called big 5 with Jethro Tull. I would rather make it a big 6, for Jethro Tull is indeed too important (at least in my mind) to be left out, but so are the other five. To me it makes sense, since they are the most succesful of the original prog bands, and they are all british, which is the country were the genre was originated (or at least became really succesful). And I would add at least the next 4, also british, with Camel, VdGG, Gentle Giant, and Renaissance (though perhaps many would disagree at least with the last one).

And if we would add some non british to the formula of the next ones, I guess there would have to come at least Rush and Kansas (and perhaps some of the italian ones).
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 00:24
Several have commented, including myself, that we should have more than a big five. I really don't where the sacred number five came from. Is it that we have five fingers on one hand? I don't get it. I'm pushing for the magical number seven plus or minus two.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 00:52
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I'm surprised to see that people (aside from JCDenton) make so little of King Crimson. I cannot imagine modern Prog let alone ELP, Yes and '70s era Floyd sounding the same without them.

I would never make so little of Crimson. I love them. But I will take issue a little big with your analysis.

Yes were contemporaries of Crimson. There the comparison rather ended. Don't forget the celebrated story about Briford being invited to join KC by Fripp....."I believe you are ready to join King Crimson now"....Fripp was clearly implying that Crimson were a more advanced, mature, clever outfit than Yes.

Aside from the presence of Greg Lake, I see no other connection or influence between Crimson and ELP, sorry.

As for Floyd, you are a little nearer the mark, if, of course, you presuppose that much of Meddle and DSOTM were mere copies of parts of In The Court and In The Wake. I personally don't, but the influence was clearly present.
Perhaps I should have said that I could not imagine them sounding exactly the same without KC. I feel that Lake was extremely influenced by KC when he composed Lucky Man, the song that brought them radio exposure to the world, and that KC's classical suite like song structures influenced Yes to a degree. The rest was all down to their own genius. Cheers Laz.

According to legend, Lake composed Lucky Man in his early teens. He's also responsible for the riff of Schizoid Man. Hard to say who influenced whom.

Lake wrote Lucky Man as a Bob Dillon style folk song pre KC. Fripp wouldn't let him record it with Crimson and it almost got missed off ELP's debut album (they had room for one more song and Lake apparently said something like 'well I have this little thing I wrote...' etc.)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 00:56
Originally posted by JCDenton JCDenton wrote:

Of all the groups here, no one has debated Yes or Genesis, so it's fair (or at least safe) to say those are absolutes. When it comes to King Crimson, Floyd, Tull, ELP, and Rush, the others in discussion for this "Big 5", commercial success as a basis for an argument just doesn't sit well with me. The reason these groups are regarded so highly is because of their influence in the big heyday of Progressive music. King Crimson is THE influence in Prog. Not too much debate possible on that. That's where half the bands mentioned above started, and too much of early Crimson defined how the genre would look even today. Crimson is widely regarded as the most important and influential and best prog band. I'm not fanboying; it's just hard to see why anyone would think they don't belong in the Big 5.

As for the others, it's easier to dismiss Rush because of them being the prominent later 70's band, while what we're looking at is the biggest innovators and successes of the early groups in what's hailed as our "classic era".

As for the other two slots, Floyd is the other big influence I see. Them not fitting the mold of the other groups does not matter. Psychedelic/Space Rock is still a big role (even next to big brother Symphonic Prog) in much of Prog with Floyd being the godfather to nearly all under that umbrella. Floyd is a giant in Progressive music!

As for Tull and ELP, that's tough. The first four are so clear to me. Maybe there is a need for a Big 6 or even 7. Breaking down these two bands, they honestly are both very deserving.

Tull:
-biggest thing to me is Thick as a Brick. Making the textbook definition (and defining the standard) of the concept album
-also being a big component in the inception of the stereotype of flutes in Prog

ELP:
-technical perfection
-keyboard masturbation

Hmmm…. Really tough.. Ah, who am I kidding.
Keyboard masturbation (and being obnoxious) always wins.

Big 5:
King Crimson
Yes
Genesis
Pink Floyd
ELP

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about ELP (although its probably inevitable as alwaysLOL) but what is 'keyboard masturbation'? I remember this expression being banded about in the seventies and eighties by music journos who couldn't be bothered to engage brain but I've never been exactly sure what it means. Does it mean too much keyboards in use or too much soloing? Just wondering..
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 03:09

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

If I were to replace a band, it would likely be Floyd – replaced by Tull.

ELP must remain. They're too unique. Same with Crimson. Genesis I've never thought of a "symph" band. ELP is classical rock, and the Yes brand of symph is quite different. Floyd became very popular but they're pretty much a glorified psych band, IMO.

Imo, just because Pink Floyd were psychedelic / space rock band, they must be in the Big FIve.

I think Hawkwind would be a better representative of psych/space rock, IMHO.

We should just have a Big 10.

We should have a few of Big Five lists.
For example, If we looked only at the British progressive rock and only to the period from 1968 to 1972 (some people say that it was THE time of Brit prog movement), I think if we can go with a time & space machine straight back at that time in the UK, think that the Big 5 list have to look like this:

Family
Moody Blues
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
King Crimson
Jethro Tull

U.S. Big 5 list, at the same time (1968 - 1972), was  ( imo ) :

Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention
Steve Miller Band
Chicago
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band

Edited by Svetonio - June 26 2014 at 06:24
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 03:26
Usually when there's an impossible poll to vote on, it's impossible ....... All brilliant bands...
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 05:31
Big 4 of classic and modern:

King Crimson
Genesis
Yes
Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Marillion
IQ
Porcupine Tree
Transatlantic
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 08:41
I recognize the importance of ELP and Rush to the progressive rock world. I just don't like their music, especially ELP! I think putting some artist from the fringe is a brilliant idea, such as Zappa or The Soft Machine.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 08:55
It seems that there are more bands -  formed in post-modern era  - who are waiting in line to enter the Big 5, than the bands from the golden decade. It is understandable,  there are more progressive rock bands formed in last 20-25 yrs than it  was in the late sixties & seventies.

Edited by Svetonio - June 26 2014 at 09:06
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 10:12

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I'm surprised to see that people (aside from JCDenton) make so little of King Crimson. I cannot imagine modern Prog let alone ELP, Yes and '70s era Floyd sounding the same without them.

I would never make so little of Crimson. I love them. But I will take issue a little big with your analysis.
Yes were contemporaries of Crimson. There the comparison rather ended. Don't forget the celebrated story about Briford being invited to join KC by Fripp....."I believe you are ready to join King Crimson now"....Fripp was clearly implying that Crimson were a more advanced, mature, clever outfit than Yes.
Aside from the presence of Greg Lake, I see no other connection or influence between Crimson and ELP, sorry.
As for Floyd, you are a little nearer the mark, if, of course, you presuppose that much of Meddle and DSOTM were mere copies of parts of In The Court and In The Wake. I personally don't, but the influence was clearly present.
Perhaps I should have said that I could not imagine them sounding exactly the same without KC. I feel that Lake was extremely influenced by KC when he composed Lucky Man, the song that brought them radio exposure to the world, and that KC's classical suite like song structures influenced Yes to a degree. The rest was all down to their own genius. Cheers Laz.

According to legend, Lake composed Lucky Man in his early teens. He's also responsible for the riff of Schizoid Man. Hard to say who influenced whom.

Lake wrote Lucky Man as a Bob Dillon style folk song pre KC. Fripp wouldn't let him record it with Crimson and it almost got missed off ELP's debut album (they had room for one more song and Lake apparently said something like 'well I have this little thing I wrote...' etc.)
It's remarkable to me how such a Gothic type formally constructed song with an archaic storyline that's socially relevant to the modern age and, with lyrics that might have made resident KC lyricist Peter Sinfield envious, was written before the fact by Lake. However, one should not argue against half century long musical legends.

Edited by SteveG - June 26 2014 at 13:44
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 13:53
Five or six, seven or eight?

Anyways, the ring and the crown belongs to the Gentle Giant!
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 17:39
Big 5 IMO:
King Crimson
Yes
ELP
Pink Floyd
Mike Oldfield

Personally: Yes, ELP, Renaissance, Camel and Rush. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 21:09
Yeah, Mike Oldfield is often forgotten in this kind of discussions, and as far as I understand he was really huge back in the time, and his music is really wonderful. Perhaps one could argue that he wasn't really prog enough, but as with Pink Floyd, when I listen to him I like him because of the same reasons I like prog music itself. Besides, it doesn't get any proggier than 4 albums in a row with only epic songs (and one of those albums being a double album).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 21:13
Originally posted by Altairius Altairius wrote:

Big 4 of classic and modern:King CrimsonGenesisYesEmerson, Lake & PalmerMarillionIQPorcupine TreeTransatlantic

When a list of the best "modern" prog bands include two bands that began in the 80's (35 year ago), another that began in the 90's (25 years ago), and another one that began in the year 2000 (14 years ago)... it would seem to me that the genre is in some serious trouble.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 22:20
I'd say:

Jethro Tull
Camel
Gentle Giant
Caravan
Van der graaf
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 00:09
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Yeah, Mike Oldfield is often forgotten in this kind of discussions, and as far as I understand he was really huge back in the time, and his music is really wonderful. Perhaps one could argue that he wasn't really prog enough, but as with Pink Floyd, when I listen to him I like him because of the same reasons I like prog music itself. Besides, it doesn't get any proggier than 4 albums in a row with only epic songs (and one of those albums being a double album).

Well said, my friend, well said.   
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 11:14

Mike's music was way more "prog" than Floyd's! I don't think there was anything like Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge at the time. I think Mannheim Steamroller (there's a New Age connection for you!) definitely took some cues from Mike.
ultra plinian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 17:18
I can't limit "A BIG LIST" to just five bands/artists. It's impossible. You can't list five without severely undermining the importance of the remaining most valuable contributors that's not included. I'd say go with the The BIG 10 of progressive rock bands that established and defined the genre between 1968 and 1978, and even then, you're still leaving out someone vital. I have a hard time not including Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Mike Oldfield, but clearly you've got to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise, I'd make it 15 and maybe include one of the more obscure bands like Magma and Goblin that were also very influential.

King Crimson
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Yes
Jethro Tull
ELP
Rush
Camel
Frank Zappa et al.
Amon Düül II

As for a MODERN BIG 10 list (bands/artists that began after 1978):

Steven Wilson et al.
Opeth
Spock's Beard
Queensr˙che
Änglagård
Marillion
Dream Theatre
Tool
Riverside
The Flower Kings

Edited by ultra plinian - June 27 2014 at 17:25
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -Tyrion Lannister from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 21:02

Mike's music was way more "prog" than Floyd's! I don't think there was anything like Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge at the time. I think Mannheim Steamroller (there's a New Age connection for you!) definitely took some cues from Mike.

Well, I wasn't born yet by the time of Tubular Bells, nor am I sure to know enough of music at the time, but it would seem to me that when it was released, Tubular Bells was like nothing people had heard before. At least not on a massive level. I could imagine it being something completley new and fresh. Perhaps even more so than The Moody Blues and King Crimson at their time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>