Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSalander

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salander
    Posted: June 24 2014 at 21:10
New & great album by Salander

Stendec the album review from "New Prog Releases"

Quote Hyle Troy. Copenhagen. June 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I reviewed SALANDER last album in February. In there I made a statement " These guys have given us something really special for a debut album. Can't wait for the next " And so only four months later comes STENDEC.. Let me say, I was very impressed with "Crash Course for Des...sert", But this one?
In STENDEC without doubt, the guys have surpassed themselves !
Whereas this is not a concept album like the last.This collection of songs still bring a very strong narrative in the lyrics. Dave C 's writing has depth and maturity, but with a sneaky sense of humour. Did I see some references to the Cassablanca movie?
Musically, I figure Salanders' style is to start a piece relaxed and build to some form of climax to the end, but often changing from light to shade. Listen to "Zeitgeist" and see what I mean. This album carries a stronger style and production value with it. The textures are rich, flowing, multi layered affairs. Check out the STENDEC section of "Controlled Flight Into Terrain"... Bowed Guitar ! Impressing !
And for the softer moments I am drawn to "Ever After" and its emotive vocal with strident guitar solo to finish.
The songs are a complex melange of styles and sounds, layer and layer of keyboards and guitar, sewn together with a strong pinning of bass guitar. the result is effortless listening.
Without hesitation, dear reader Buy it ! Do not hesitate. I promise no disappointment. These guys deserve to be heard. And heard many times over.
My Favourites? " Zeitgeist" "Ever After" and "Controlled Flight"

Edited by Svetonio - June 24 2014 at 22:23
salander View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 14:43
thanks for your continued support man. would live to see a proper review by you.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 08:31
I listened to this album yesterday. Good album and like this but They use Pink Floyd touch too much.For example in "Book of Lies" You can see PF influences clearly. I think they shift to "COPY" music cleverly. Maybe you disagree with me. They take many musical elements from bands and mix them with PF touch to "Create" their own. I know some of Crossover bands have original sound and music and they use this format but Salander's music isn't original specially in electric guitar Sound. 
I have 2 albums : " Crash Course For Dessert " and "STENDE". I enjoy their music but I think they are closest to "Clone Band" than "Creative Band" (IMO).
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:18
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

I listened to this album yesterday. Good album and like this but They use Pink Floyd touch too much.For example in "Book of Lies" You can see PF influences clearly. I think they shift to "COPY" music cleverly. Maybe you disagree with me. They take many musical elements from bands and mix them with PF touch to "Create" their own. I know some of Crossover bands have original sound and music and they use this format but Salander's music isn't original specially in electric guitar Sound. 
I have 2 albums : " Crash Course For Dessert " and "STENDE". I enjoy their music but I think they are closest to "Clone Band" than "Creative Band" (IMO).

I like these nicely presented influences from the past.
Btw, we will see whether the new Pink Floyd's album will sound as good as Salander's magnificent debut.
 Post Reply Post Reply