Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark Side of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark Side of the Moon
    Posted: June 28 2014 at 01:33
28th June 1997, The classic Pink Floyd album 'Dark Side of the Moon' spent its 1056th week on the US album chart. It was rumoured at the time that if the album was played while watching The Wizard of Oz movie, and started exactly when the MGM lion roared the third time during the movie's intro, very interesting connections could be made between the two. Ever tried this? 

"I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had 6 months to live" Keith Richards

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 01:34
Sleepy
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 01:35
I've seen it once years ago (but your link is broken). Personally I haven't found anything special.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 01:47
Has anyone ever noticed that no matter what time you start the album DSOTM, it will end approximately 43 minutes later.  Bizarre.  Shocked
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 02:58
I believe that you will find it in YouTube already combined, I never cared to watch it entirely, in the sections I watched I didn't notice any of the allegued "coincidences", it's b*sh*t.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 03:01
I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had six months to live........
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 03:09
Such an original thread that's already taught me so many things I didn't already know!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 03:24
There is a first time for everything and everything is new to somebody once.

I've never been convinced by the Oz theory - there are a couple of moments of synchronicity but that's purely co-incidence and could happen with practically any album and any piece of film if you time it right.

My first experience of Dark Side of the Moon was watching Floyd play it at the Wembley Empire Pool in October 1972 with my girlfriend Susan and my best mate Mike.

On the day the album was released I rushed to the local record store just as it opened for the morning, the owner hadn't un-boxed the day's deliveries yet but on noticing my impatience allowed me to unpack boxes to get my paws on the record for the first time. I handed over my £2.50 and left the shop a very happy boy.

Everything about the album blew me away, the music, the songs, the concept, the sound effects, the playing, the cover, the posters, the stickers... from removing cellophane wrapper (carefully keeping the circular sticker intact) to the last heart-beat ... everything. It also brought me to the realisation that our family "music centre" wasn't good enough to fully appreciate the sonic marvels of this recording and set me off building a hi-fi of my own to play it on.

I even got my mum to knit me a DSotM woollen jacket:

Forty one years later the album is still fresh and vibrant to me, last week I bought the 40th anniversary re-issue of the vinyl and the buzz of removing the cellophane from that to access the disc, posters and stickers invoked a wave of nostalgia that I hadn't experienced before - memories of the concert in London, of the little record store in Bedford and of me convincing my mum that she could make the jacket without a pattern. I haven't actually played it yet - I'm waiting to complete the re-build of my 1973 turntable that I started a few months back so I can re-live the experience all over again.
What?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 03:31
You lucky guy...in October 1972 I didn't own a turntable and my only sources of music were the Italian national radio and my just purchased acoustic guitar.  
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 05:16
Great post Dean.  A good reminder for grizzled veterans to remember, that new members be encouraged. 

The album is amazing to me still, as are several of the earlier ones. I would have loved to see your Mum's expression as you built your case for that awesome jacket.  What a wonderful item.  Hope you get to pull it out of the closet and give it to a grandkid someday.   :-)

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 08:05
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had six months to live........

I took up drugs when my doctor suggested I should try and have more fun...

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 09:01
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I've never been convinced by the Oz theory - there are a couple of moments of synchronicity but that's purely co-incidence and could happen with practically any album and any piece of film if you time it right.

My first experience of Dark Side of the Moon was watching Floyd play it at the Wembley Empire Pool in October 1972 with my girlfriend Susan and my best mate Mike.

On the day the album was released I rushed to the local record store just as it opened for the morning, the owner hadn't un-boxed the day's deliveries yet but on noticing my impatience allowed me to unpack boxes to get my paws on the record for the first time. I handed over my £2.50 and left the shop a very happy boy.

Everything about the album blew me away, the music, the songs, the concept, the sound effects, the playing, the cover, the posters, the stickers... from removing cellophane wrapper (carefully keeping the circular sticker intact) to the last heart-beat ... everything. It also brought me to the realisation that our family "music centre" wasn't good enough to fully appreciate the sonic marvels of this recording and set me off building a hi-fi of my own to play it on.

Forty one years later the album is still fresh and vibrant to me, last week I bought the 40th anniversary re-issue of the vinyl and the buzz of removing the cellophane from that to access the disc, posters and stickers invoked a wave of nostalgia that I hadn't experienced before - memories of the concert in London, of the little record store in Bedford and of me convincing my mum that she could make the jacket without a pattern. I haven't actually played it yet - I'm waiting to complete the re-build of my 1973 turntable that I started a few months back so I can re-live the experience all over again.

Awww! That jacket. Heart
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 09:35
Originally posted by Spiritinthesky Spiritinthesky wrote:

28th June 1997, The classic Pink Floyd album 'Dark Side of the Moon' spent its 1056th week on the US album chart. It was rumoured at the time that if the album was played while watching The Wizard of Oz movie, and started exactly when the MGM lion roared the third time during the movie's intro, very interesting connections could be made between the two. Ever tried this? 

I've always wondered, what happens when the album finishes? Do you turn it over and start again?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 09:36
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I believe that you will find it in YouTube already combined, I never cared to watch it entirely, in the sections I watched I didn't notice any of the allegued "coincidences", it's b*sh*t.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 10:36
Yes!!! Yes!! Yes!! Dean you are the man!
I only now read through this thread and that was just a marvelous read. Thanks.

I have purchased Dark Side 5 times now, because it keeps getting stolen or mysteriously 'lost', so I can definitely relate to the backdraft of nostalgia every time I've sat down in front of my stereo to unwrap the cellophane
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 10:44
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Awww! That jacket. Heart

Thanks for sharing that, Dean!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 10:52
One thing though, and this is a thing that irks me a bit. The 2003 5.1 SACD Remaster edition I currently have (I'm not expecting to own this by the end of the year. That would mean owning a copy for more than 10 years!) use a blue/purple colour on the front cover where there normally is all black. It is rather beautifully done, but it changes the way I look at it. I prefer not to look at it while I spin it tbh.
Oh and I only have a stereo set-up, so I can't enjoy the 5.1 mix. Am I missing something? It sounds absolutely stunning coming out of my old school Dali speakers, which are made of granite if I'm not entirely mistaken. Damn those things are heavy.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 11:40
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

One thing though, and this is a thing that irks me a bit. The 2003 5.1 SACD Remaster edition I currently have (I'm not expecting to own this by the end of the year. That would mean owning a copy for more than 10 years!) use a blue/purple colour on the front cover where there normally is all black. It is rather beautifully done, but it changes the way I look at it. I prefer not to look at it while I spin it tbh.
I know what you mean - it's probably a very nice piece of stained glass and no doubt that in real life it's a very wonderful thing to behold, but reproduced as a 120mm CD cover it's ... meh. Worse than that, it's not George Hardie's elegantly simple graphic, as are none of the other re-imaginings of the prism artwork that have appeared since. 

My heart sank when I first picked up the 40th anniversary 180gm vinyl because it has a dreary pointillism version of the graphic on the front:

Fortunately it's not the cover, it's loose under the shrink wrap and removing it reveals the original cover in all its glory. For reasons known only to EMI they printed it as a sticker, quite what you're supposed to stick it on is beyond me.

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Oh and I only have a stereo set-up, so I can't enjoy the 5.1 mix. Am I missing something? It sounds absolutely stunning coming out of my old school Dali speakers, which are made of granite if I'm not entirely mistaken. Damn those things are heavy.
I have the 30th anniversary 5.1 mix as well and not owning a surround sound system (and never wanted to own one) I've never heard it either.

I love Pink Floyd to bits but there are only so many times you can milk this fatted cow no matter how much you change the packaging. (Are you listening Mr Oldfield?). I did buy the Experience edition when it came out because the bonus disc featured a 1974 live recording from Wembley but without that the cash would have stayed in my wallet.

One "version" I do enjoy is the Tom Stoppard radio play Darkside as it couples my favourite album with a subject that has become my pet hate: philosophy. Here I like that it doesn't borrow from the original artwork.

Back to topic

Has anyone tried syncing any of the DSotM tribute albums to the Wiz of Oz? Apparently Dubside of the Moon works really well.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 11:53
^I tried syncing Wish You Were Here to Oz. It made no sense what so ever but it's my favorite Floyd album so it really didn't bother me too much.Smoke

Edited by SteveG - June 28 2014 at 12:25
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 12:22
Ummagumma syncs up perfectly with Backdoor Sluts #47
Magma America Great Make Again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>