Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark Side of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 21:50
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Ummagumma syncs up perfectly with Backdoor Sluts #47

What? Shocked
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 23:05

Ummagumma syncs up perfectly with Backdoor Sluts #47.

I know comedian Adam Ray was impersonating Tony Danza for a video clip in which he said: "Have you ever played Dark Side of the Moon and Schindler's List at the same time? [sneers] I'm Tony Danza."

LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 08:52
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Well, that kind of pride doesn't make for a good presence in lyrics, so, ... there.

Really....?

Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 09:06
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^ Well, that kind of pride doesn't make for a good presence in lyrics, so, ... there.

Really....?

Confused

"That's all about words and language", witty remarks, "clever remarks and intellectualization" ... all vague notions. How do you incorporate any of it in a song, do you know? Here, on this forum, people more or less improvise with speech (err ... writing). But songwriting is truly something special and needs a lot of attention. There are high standards and rules of thumb. Our everyday speech/writing has a different set of those. And songwriting is clearly not just about words and language. The author of the song has to breath life into the words and sweeten the whole thing with ... music!

Have you noted the style in which Iain writes his posts here? Sounds like he prepares himself for a Peter Hammill's "The Sleepwalkers" -style poetry slam. Tongue Go ahead and try to put anything Iain says in a song.

Don't just put two vague notions like "wit" and "song" together and think that it's going to turn out alright. It's easy to say something brainy; it's much harder to write a valuable song. I see that a lot of us have high standards when listening to/reading someone's words.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 24 2014 at 09:21
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:34

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Really....?

Confused

"That's all about words and language", witty remarks, "clever remarks and intellectualization" ... all vague notions. How do you incorporate any of it in a song, do you know? Here, on this forum, people more or less improvise with speech (err ... writing). But songwriting is truly something special and needs a lot of attention. There are high standards and rules of thumb. Our everyday speech/writing has a different set of those. And songwriting is clearly not just about words and language. The author of the song has to breath life into the words and sweeten the whole thing with ... music!

Have you noted the style in which Iain writes his posts here? Sounds like he prepares himself for a Peter Hammill's "The Sleepwalkers" -style poetry slam. Tongue Go ahead and try to put anything Iain says in a song.

Don't just put two vague notions like "wit" and "song" together and think that it's going to turn out alright. It's easy to say something brainy; it's much harder to write a valuable song. I see that a lot of us have high standards when listening to/reading someone's words.

I get what you are saying but that wasn't really my point.
I just think it's odd that those who like reading, books, current events, etc, which are probably most of the people on PA , seem to care less about song lyrics.
Maybe it's just me.....Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 19:31
Not to get into profiling, but most of the 'literary' people I've met were either not interested in music or listened to it for the music music, not the lyrics.  It was typically the people who did not have the patience to read big, fat books who were however very particular about the selection of words in the verse.  So, maybe literary people shut out the words when they listen to music.  As I said in the other word, if I wanted something clever, I would read it in a book.  I seek a more visceral and less 'intellectual' experience from music.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 19:36
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Not to get into profiling, but most of the 'literary' people I've met were either not interested in music or listened to it for the music music, not the lyrics.  It was typically the people who did not have the patience to read big, fat books who were however very particular about the selection of words in the verse.  So, maybe literary people shut out the words when they listen to music.  As I said in the other word, if I wanted something clever, I would read it in a book.  I seek a more visceral and less 'intellectual' experience from music.

I don't care anything about lyrics and I've been a musician for 22 years and I wouldn't call myself a literary person either (not that I don't read of course).
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 19:38
I don't mean literary literally, only reproducing it because Doc used it.  I don't consider myself a literary person either, just somebody who likes to read a lot.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 22:05
Oh well, here goes nothing...

I don't find it strange either. In a perfect world that statement alone should be enough but often the urge to clarify that means I must continue. I don't read the verses in birthday cards but enjoy getting them once a year. I think that analogy is close enough to convey the message and meaning yet still there is room for misunderstanding so I shall elucidate further. Erudite people are not necessarily polymaths and just because people like one literary form it does not follow that they would like all literary forms. Just because you enjoy prose it does not mean that you should also enjoy poetry and if you do take pleasure in poetry there is no reason to assume that you would like lyrical poetry or blank verse. Also if you do care about good lyrical poetry it doesn't necessarily mean that you are bothered by song lyrics. And not caring about them does not mean that you don't care for them.

pfft!

I read books, lots of books. I like novels, long novels, trilogies, double trilogies, whole series and serialisations.  I hardly read poetry at all but will read the occasional epic poem. However, I don't read short stories or novellas very much, they're not like a cup of espresso that delivers the full hit of coffee on a couple of sips, they're more like being served a short-measure and for that a little unfulfilling.

Removed of music and melody song lyrics seldom stand by themselves - those would be the poetry equivalent of a short story - thin on content and unsatisfying - if there is anything of interest in there to a wordsmith or someone who appreciates a well turned phrase it's easily consumed and digested. If it is deep and meaningful but buried in obscure references, metaphor or analogy then it has to be worth the effort of unravelling the puzzle to get to it. Those are the exception and are exceptional, but they are few and far between.

Yet Dark Side of the Moon's lyrics succeed where other's fail because it doesn't try too hard, Waters wrote the lyrics in plain terms using plain English that anyone and everyone could understand without dumbing them down or using trite cliché. What little allegory he uses is confined to easily identified symbology and in the end tell us things we already knew, and he manages to do that without being preachy or condescending about it because (perhaps for the only time in his career) he treats us as intellectual equals. Waters even makes a point of telling us as much... we're only ordinary men. No one has to sit for hours analysing the lyric sheet to get the message, you can pick it up from simply listening to the songs as they are sung. 

That's how lyrics should be - they are an integral part of the song and are not meant to stand-alone to be picked and pawed over, deconstructed and analysed - we don't do that to the drum patterns or the bass lines, we don't pick-apart the chord progressions or measure the note-intervals in a solo in order to appreciate and understand the music.

Edited by Dean - July 24 2014 at 22:10
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:50
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

That's how lyrics should be - they are an integral part of the song and are not meant to stand-alone to be picked and pawed over, deconstructed and analysed - we don't do that to the drum patterns or the bass lines, we don't pick-apart the chord progressions or measure the note-intervals in a solo in order to appreciate and understand the music.

Clap  Couldn't agree more.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 11:45
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had six months to live........

I took up drugs when my doctor suggested I should try and have more fun...

Why did the short hair cross the road? Because someone told him to.
Why did the long hair cross the road? Because someone told him not to.
                                             -Firesign Theatre          
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 16:00
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Ummagumma syncs up perfectly with Backdoor Sluts #47

What? Shocked

That guy never heard "Phaedra" or "Bodylove" (both of them!). Well at least one of them had Alex De Renzy!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123