This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 15:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Or David Athenbourough has done in 40years of biologicsl diveraity of pkanet earth?

Confused
Attenborough is not a scientist, he's a TV presenter of nature documentaries.
im quite awere of that.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 15:58

Or David Athenbourough has done in 40years of biologicsl diveraity of pkanet earth?

Confused
im quite awere of that.
Then why mention him here?
What?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 16:38

Confused
im quite awere of that.

i respect how he presented nature on tv as something wondrfull without the thought of a hrand creator behind it, that nature is grand enough as it is, hes. Voice of presenting docus of be it zoology, or biology, might have bben influence to how guys like Brian Greene Dawkins and orhøøthers present things on television.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 16:48

Confused
im quite awere of that.

i respect how he presented nature on tv as something wondrfull without the thought of a hrand creator behind it, that nature is grand enough as it is, hes. Voice of presenting docus of be it zoology, or biology, might have bben influence to how guys like Brian Greene Dawkins and orhøøthers present things on television.
I thought this was a thread about who is the most important physicist not who is the best TV science presenter. If that's the case then I vote for Dr. Helen Czerski. Tongue
What?
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 06:35

Confused
im quite awere of that.

I thought this was a thread about who is the most important physicist not who is the best TV science presenter. If that's the case then I vote for Dr. Helen Czerski. Tongue

Good old Altrincham lass!
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 09:44

Confused
im quite awere of that.

I vote for Liz Bonin
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 16:34
Which physics term/theme would you give / precent for Feynman past his death (1988) from 90s or later, ( he seems like a really skilled problem solver, thats my impression), which he would value persuing.   I can semiquote what peoole who knew him describd of his problem solving capabilities he had " what took most physecists used three years to solve, Feynman could use two months (less or more) "

Is question understandable,

Edited by Icarium - June 30 2014 at 16:38
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 17:11

Which physics term/theme would you give / precent for Feynman past his death (1988) from 90s or later, ( he seems like a really skilled problem solver, thats my impression), which he would value persuing.   I can semiquote what peoole who knew him describd of his problem solving capabilities he had " what took most physecists used three years to solve, Feynman could use two months (less or more) "

Is question understandable,
I can't know what would attract Feynman's interest, but there are quite some open questions in physics.
The first and most obvious is the attempt to reconcile Relativity with Quantum Mechanics, this is considered the Holy Grail of physics. There is no absolute reason why they should be possible to reconcile, but it seems nice that they should, we always strive for unification as it seems to infuse deeper meaning to the phenomena we observe in the universe.
The next major challenge is the nature of dark energy and dark matter, after all our best theories can only account for 4% of the universe surrounding us, so that is not very uplifting.
Life is another big challenge (and the phenomenon of complexity in general) which no current theory is capable to explain. Why and how do the constituent elements of the universe combine into ever more complex structures? and why and how do these structures reach a point when they become masters of their own destiny, apparently overtaking the very laws of nature?
On a more abstract plane, the subject of FreeWill is also one of the big questions, to which extent is the world pseudo-deterministic (we know at root, quantum level, it is not, it is random, but on larger scales the laws of nature seem to be pretty deterministic. Where is the border and why is there such a border?).
Related to this last point, the subject of quantum decoherence is also still a mystery (why the quantum rules and the macroscopic rules are so different). Where and how does the quantum world become the macroscopic world?

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 17:33
I dont have computer aroubd me ( writes on phone) i will give a coomenrmt morexeleauantly when a keybord isinfront of me :)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 18:01
What instruments do these guys play? metal? punk? What?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 18:03
Feynman played some bongos. :D
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 18:18

Feynman played some bongos. :D
And marimba as I recall, and throat singing. 

Hawking provided vocals for Pink Floyd's Division Bell.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 19:14
^Ah, now that rings a bell.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 09:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Here we go with the puns... I don't know if I have chime for it
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 09:18
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Here we go with the puns... I don't know if I have chime for it
That's a bit of a clanger
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 14:48
It's hard to tell which kind of guy (or woman of course) will it take to make a next major leap in modern physics, it's quite frustrating that having more people and resources dedicated to it than ever we have hardly made any fundamental progress since the 1970's (hey, some link to Prog Rock here perhaps? Wink). In some sense it's impressive and even weird that technology in many areas has been progressing so fast when the fundamental science has not.

Someone who will just have the insight to see something, some relatively simple principle which is just eluding everybody else because everybody is looking from the wrong perspective, even if his technical proficiency is not one of the best? (such as Einstein, he was not technically a top scientists, he just had the insight of realising things, basic principles, which the others did not see. He actually had to learn non-euclidean maths to develop mathematically what he had just realised by intuition, general relativity).

Or perhaps a super-skilled mathematician? who may come up with solutions to for example the unification of relativity and quantum mechanics from purely mathematical grounds?

Or perhaps someone more in the field of cosmology? (given that several of the biggest enigmas are in this field, dark energy, dark matter, black holes...).

As great as Feynman was, I am not sure that he would have been able to crack the current enigmas, for some reason we seem to have hit a barrier of a different level. It is not normal that with so many scientists and resources nobody is able to make significant fundamental progress in 45 years, this had not happened in the last few centuries. 

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 15:34
Howe about the power of music , how can music " mannipulate feelings in humans (emotivness) , ironicly musicians with no clue of chemistry or physics can create a fusion of contrasted rythems, harmonies, melodies, frequencies, dynamic range, distortion, created through sound waves vibrations in space perhaps, someplace between the source of music and you as a input of the music "strange" things hapoens, which makes us even cry, get violent, get enthimusiastic, sad etc

Is this psychology or is it biology and therfore chemestry -> physics?

Edited by Icarium - July 01 2014 at 15:37
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 15:38
I've read that Stephen Hawking doesn't believe there can be a Theory of Everything due to Godel's Incompleteness Theorem.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 15:46

Howe about the power of music , how can music " mannipulate feelings in humans (emotivness) , ironicly musicians with no clue of chemistry or physics can create a fusion of contrasted rythems, harmonies, melodies, frequencies, dynamic range, distortion, created through sound waves vibrations in space perhaps, someplace between the source of music and you as a input of the music "strange" things hapoens, which makes us even cry, get violent, get enthimusiastic, sad etc

Aren't musicians the work a day physicists in that they are constantly, though growing almost oblivious to the fact, manipulating sound and vibrations? Good Vibrations as Brian Wilson once opined?

Edited by SteveG - July 01 2014 at 15:57
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 17:27

Aren't musicians the work a day physicists in that they are constantly, though growing almost oblivious to the fact, manipulating sound and vibrations? Good Vibrations as Brian Wilson once opined?
the humbuucks of a el guitar works becouse of EM and so does the amp speaker,, then you got the aspect of synesthesia were sences depect sounds as mental images of colours (Feynman was or had limited synesthesia were he saw equations and numbers with colours)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>