Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - An Illustrated Guide to Prog Rock Instruments (new
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAn Illustrated Guide to Prog Rock Instruments (new

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 19:00
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

^ I don't know about real calliopes used in rock, but 'calliope' is also the name of a popular preset in synths (actually it is one of the lead synth presets in the standard General Midi sound bank).
I didn't know that, although I kind of figured so.

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

From everything I've read, there is a calliope during the end of "In the Court of the Crimson King". Listening to it here, I am sure that it is present and not a synth or midi sound (being in 1969 and all)
Knowing Crimson, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a real calliope, but, although it certainly wasn't a synth, do we know for sure it wasn't a mellotron with calliope sampled recordings?

Unfortunately, there is only anecdotal evidence that it was a real calliope. The album cover credits Ian MacDonald as playing the "mellotron, harpsichord, piano and organ", so there is no direct mention of the calliope; however, that Ian played harpsichord and organ indicates that not everything was sampled.

Well, it does sound very convincing. Maybe they just lumped the calliope in with organs, being a kind of miniature pipe organ, I don't know. I wish these were the sort of questions interviewers would ask musicians. Still it's a neat little instrument. I wonder how hard they are to find.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234