Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush - Changing Hemispheres (4dvd + book)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush - Changing Hemispheres (4dvd + book)
    Posted: July 02 2014 at 03:50
(Please move elsewhere if this is not the best place.)
I came across this via music store's page. Wow, what a contrast between the marketer's info and the customer review (cited below) in amazon.com!
"This is, without a doubt, the worst piece of "media" I have ever purchased in my entire life. Dear reader, I beg you to spend your time and attention elsewhere as this piece of heresy provides nothing of value to a Rush fan...or a reader of the English language, for that matter.

Let's start with the book - At least it can be burned for warmth. When I was in the eighth grade, I wrote an impassioned history of Rush for a class project. If I knew it could be published and sold, I might have followed a different path. The authors of this book are not just a step down from high literature - This could be forgiven in a piece of unauthorized, off-brand music criticism - They can't even form a complete thought and in many cases, don't even seem to have listened to the music they are reviewing. The "history" section of the book is filled with inaccuracies, misuse of even basic musical terms, unforgivable generalizations, and more grammatical errors than an Amazon review board. It made me feel bad inside just reading it - Sadness for myself, for the writer, for others who bought this for full price, for their English teachers... Next, the "discography" section mixes album reviews which are wholly lifted from the history section (you heard me right) with song reviews that could be improved by going to your nearest truck stop and asking anyone if they've ever heard a song. Also, they seem to run out of room at the end and just kind of smash the last three decades of Rush music into a few pages. Whoops!

So, go ahead and burn that.

Next, the DVDs! Whoooaa! Inevitably, hungry Rush fans picked this up to see a little something extra on film. Well, if you want to see "musicians", "actors", "radio personalities", and "critics" talk about Rush for less than two hours, you're in luck. There is literally no one on this film that anyone outside of their mothers would want to see. Well, that's not exactly true. Most moms know more about Rush than these sad, fat, bald men and have better things to do with their time. The ridiculous lack of information or knowledge inherent in any one of the reviewers makes this an infuriating watch. It's as if someone who had never read a book tried to give you a lecture on Shakespeare. I would really like to challenge any of these guys to produce evidence that they have read a book. I pray they didn't start with the book in this set, although it might explain things. I think if you ran into any room in the world with a video camera and asked people about Rush, it would make for more enjoyable and accurate info and "criticism".

Also, the DVDs are about 20-30 minutes long. They used to be two longer pieces, but they decided to cut them into tiny pieces to make this set look more expansive. They have no menus and just play over and over in a loop. I would guess the picture quality is 6th-generation VHS, give or take a generation.

Look, I'm not a violent man. Not at all. But if I ever see any of the people that are involved with this project...I'll sit them down and make them read and watch a book and DVD set of me happily burning this hellish, soulless product in the street.

Don't buy this."
If this guy is reliable at all, it's really amazing how low in quality can a product go! Shocked
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 06:58
Wow.  Sounds like a real stinker.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 09:40
"Let's start with the book - At least it can be burned for warmth."

LOL
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 09:45
That review was priceless.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 14:26
Quote From Chopper; "Let's start with the book - At least it can be burned for warmth."                                                                                                              Dude, it's 90 degrees out so the book isn't good for s#%&!

Edited by SteveG - July 02 2014 at 15:12
 Post Reply Post Reply