Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do newbies still discover prog through 70's bands?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo newbies still discover prog through 70's bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do newbies still discover prog through 70's bands?
    Posted: July 03 2014 at 14:52
As the prog fan base gets younger and younger I'm wondering how many of the younger fans out there are discovering prog through the 70's icons(YES, Pink Floyd,Genesis, KC, ELP etc). So if not the seventies bands then what bands are these days serving as an entry to those just getting into the genre?

So whether you first got into prog through YES, Pink Floyd, Genesis etc or Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Dream Theater, etc please comment. I am especially interested in hearing the opinions of those who got into prog for the first time in the past five years or so. ;)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 14:54
^Great Thread PT. Should really be interesting.
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 15:08
i got into prog without knowing when my dad introduced me to yes, genesis, marillion and mike odlfield at the age of ~ 15

back then (should be around 10 years now) i had no idea of what progressive rock is and had no other source for that kind of music but my fathers cd collection Smile

some years later however a friend introduced me to DT, Pain of Salvation and Sieges Even etc, he told me what progressive means and it was then, that i understood whats so special about these bands Wink
and another 2 years later i discovered PA ...

i´d say i got into prog through DT although the foundation was set in earlier years through the classic progbands
It's just a ride... <3
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 15:14
I think I got through progressive rock through my father being a fan of Procol Harum... but quite a few of the other prog-rock fans I know have gotten into the genre through newer groups like Mastodon, Primus or Tool.

I wonder if there's something of a musical generation gap at work, what with the classic groups being somewhat superficially dated in either visual aesthetic or production style - perhaps both. Then again at least around here in Scandinavia we're seeing a lot of new bands that very blatantly are 1970s throwbacks become popular so I don't know. (Baby Woodrose, Ghost, Graveyard etc)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 15:30
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I think I got through progressive rock through my father being a fan of Procol Harum... but quite a few of the other prog-rock fans I know have gotten into the genre through newer groups like Mastodon, Primus or Tool.I wonder if there's something of a musical generation gap at work, what with the classic groups being somewhat superficially dated in either visual aesthetic or production style - perhaps both. Then again at least around here in Scandinavia we're seeing a lot of new bands that very blatantly are 1970s throwbacks become popular so I don't know. (Baby Woodrose, Ghost, Graveyard etc)

Other than Pink Floyd I can't see a lot of younger fans(say 25 or under)getting into prog these days through the classic symphonic bands. For one thing they aren't exposed to them. Aside from that they'd have to hear the term prog attached to them to know what they are. At least PF is so high profile(and an obvious "bandwagon" band)that they might eventually make the connection with them to the prog genre.

I remember seeing a young guy maybe 14 or 15 wearing a YES t shirt while walking with a woman who was more than likely his mother. I'd be willing to bet he got into that band through either his mom or dad. I've talked to other younger guys wearing YES shirts who admitted to getting into YES and or prog through their parents. The thing is as with everything else in life we can't always rely on our parents. Lol. I'd say many younger people deliberately don't want to listen to what their parents like because maybe they just don't think that's cool or maybe they want to distance themselves from everything their parents do or like deliberately.

As for the generation gap yeah it can be a problem. If there aren't newer prog bands that are making it big then we will run into trouble. The older fans will die and there won't be enough younger fans to carry the genre. Fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case yet. That said, I don't think prog is yet something that everyone knows about unless they are really into music or something. For many people including many younger people YES, Pink Floyd, Genesis etc are all just "classic rock" bands. Some of those younger folks who think that(the ones who haven't discovered this site yet)might be listening to Tool, Mars Volta, Radhiohead, C&C, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater. Ironic isn't it?

Edited by Prog_Traveller - July 03 2014 at 15:31
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 15:40
I'm 20 and I discovered prog 4 years ago through Pink Floyd from seeing an Australian Pink Floyd concert and Supertramp from playing Goodbye Stranger on a school band and I started discovering both bands but I didn't know what prog was back then.

Two years ago I read an article about José Cid's 10.000 Anos... that had a link to PA and I've been discovering a lot of great prog bands here since then. I also rediscovered Progressive Electronic thanks to PA: I used to listen to my father's CD's and cassetes some years ago.

I mostly listen to 70's prog, so I don't know if I'm a good example for your question. Ermm
voliveira View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 15:48
I entered the prog through my father who showed me the materials of Genesis and Yes and Pink Floyd. A fan of both the progressive rock of the 70s as the AOR of the '80s, he was also introduced by friends to Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment and Symphony X, and then introduced me to the world of progressive metal also. However, from 2008/2009 I started to embark on the universe prog on my own, discovering both bands of the classical period as newer names. It is difficult to speculate how much my musical taste has evolved in recent years (considering I also became more receptive to non-progressive music), but considering that nowadays I who introduce new bands to my father, you can see that I expanded and my very progressive and / or musical knowledge as a whole.
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be" Matthew 6:21

melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 15:59
I'm 16 years old. I got into prog about two years ago. I've never liked pop music and I listened to various rock classics like Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin etc. One of the first prog albums I listened to were probably Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells and Voyager when I was a little baby and my father claims I really liked it LOL . When I was 9 years old I took PF'sThe Wall from my parents' CDs collection and I can say I enjoyed it but I didn't look for more PF's music. Maybe I was to young to understand it fully. It changed when I listened to High Hopes in radio two years ago. It was so beautiful for me that I decided to get to know whole PF's discography and I became interested in psychodelic prog. My friend who also loves prog noticed that I like such music and recommended me few "cosmic" albums, e.g. Ash Ra Tempel s/t, TD Electronic Meditation, Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica. I appreciated such original music being a bit different from what you can hear in radio. In that way I discovered the term of prog and then it became a bit easier to look for music. I listened to classical prog artists like ELP, Genesis, Yes but also experimental bands. At the beginning it was krautrock (TD, Popol Vuh), then I went with Rock in Opposition (the first RIO album I listened to was UZ's Heresie Big smile) and zeuhl (Magma's MDK). And I still look for more prog music and this forum is really helpful. Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 16:15
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I think I got through progressive rock through my father being a fan of Procol Harum... but quite a few of the other prog-rock fans I know have gotten into the genre through newer groups like Mastodon, Primus or Tool.I wonder if there's something of a musical generation gap at work, what with the classic groups being somewhat superficially dated in either visual aesthetic or production style - perhaps both. Then again at least around here in Scandinavia we're seeing a lot of new bands that very blatantly are 1970s throwbacks become popular so I don't know. (Baby Woodrose, Ghost, Graveyard etc)
I can only go by my own personal experiences with the generation gap as my two sons avoided all classic era Prog like the plague (they're Nu metal heads) and even seem to resent the recent cross over Prog metal groups like Dream Theatre. But they will constantly ask me questions regarding Squire's bass sound or Bruford's drag on the back beat so I just hand them a Yes album and tell them to figure it out for themselves.

Edited by SteveG - July 03 2014 at 16:17
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 16:21
For me it was through Fates Warning(magazine article) which led me to Dream Theater and then Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings. The last three via the internet.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 16:43
Aside from Porcupine Tree, Muse, Radiohead and The Mars Volta, it appears a fair number of youngsters are still finding prog via the '70s bands. I was surprised when I learned my high school-age niece has 2112 on her iPod.
PC-72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 17:32
In 2007 I had just turned twenty. Jean Michel Jarre lead to Klaus Schulze who in turn led to Tangerine Dream who in turn led to the Berlin School ("progressive electronic", for those of you who enjoy the P-word) which in turn could've led to the greater world of prog...but I just stayed within that one.

Then in 2009 I was shown Magma but thought it was ridiculous until 2011 when I suddenly "got" it. The combined forces of Magma and Tangerine Dream opened my mind to progressive rock, and King Crimson was the last straw. From late 2012 there was no turning back.

Yep, I'm that much of a noob.
A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 19:15
It was listening to both the early Queen albums (all the pre-`News of the World' albums) and then the big Pink Floyd albums - `The Wall', WYWH', `DSotM' etc - that led me in the direction.

With Queen, I just thought it was very different and inventive rock music, had never heard of the term `prog', think I first came across that when I started buying books on Floyd.

Then years later (maybe almost twenty years ago by now?) a friend Tom Ozric who I would later end up on the Archives with that I essentially worked with gave me a tape of Genesis `Nursery Cryme' and Eloy's `Power and the Passion', whcih was the start of hearing more pure prog.

Long story short...I think younger listeners get exposed to prog through friends lending them albums, or I think they're more likely to discover it through metal bands or `hip' alternative bands like Radiohead, Muse, etc where the term `prog' is mentioned to partly describe their sound, and the listener then looks into what it means.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 03 2014 at 19:15
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 20:29
Radiohead first but didn't explore prog until I heard Dream Theater. From there I started to listen to 70s bands mainly along with a few modern bands.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 21:10
Well, I found prog already over 10 year ago, I think. Though it was a gradual thing, and I did get into it by the 70's artists. First Pink Floyd, and then records my grandmother had or tapes some friend lent me with Focus, Harmonium, Rick Wakeman, Alan Parsons, etc. But indeed I feel younger prog fans (or future prog fans) are getting more into the newer music and don't necessarily idolize the classics.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 21:12
During the Tool/King Crimson leg in 2002, a couple guys in their early twenties overheard some prog I was playing at a friend's place of work and mentioned they'd seen Crimson in support of Tool, and thought KC kicked ass (the band would've been touring both TCoL and TPtB).  They inquired about music further and I suggested they "try listening to the progressive rock of the 70s".  

It seemed to me these guys were appreciating the same thing I and my friends had back when we were digging an album like Discipline twenty years earlier or Larks Tongues before that.   Very different music but all with the same desire to move forward.   They had gone to see Tool, a semi-progressive metal band, but had left being somewhat more impressed by a few aging psychedelics who knew exactly how to thrill a crowd, young & old.   There seems to be a progressive mindset among a small number of music lovers and musicians that will always like what a band such as KC tends toward.   Whether that number is steady, shrinking or growing is hard to say.

Edited by Atavachron - July 03 2014 at 21:16
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 23:01
I only discovered prog a few years back through Pink Floyd and Yes. So as a newbie, 70s bands.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 02:23
[ There seems to be a progressive mindset among a small number of music lovers and musicians that will always like what a band such as KC tends toward.   Whether that number is steady, shrinking or growing is hard to say.]

True but the thing is King Crimson aren't really that well known and so I don't know how a younger fan would just discover them out of the blue and then realize they are a prog band and then discover the genre that way. I'm not saying it's not possible but unless they did a google search for KC(assuming they were somehow turned on to them) and there was a link to this site I'm not sure how common that would be. Dream Theater would probably be more likely these days I'd say.

So it's basically a two step process. Number one they have to discover a band that is normally considered prog. Number two they have to think of or somehow hear that band referred to as being prog.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - July 04 2014 at 02:26
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 02:33
I discovered prog through 70's music. At the beginning I realised that I always preferred the more sophisticated side of Queen, Uriah Heep or Rainbow, then I discovered King Crimson, early Genesis, Pink Floyd. I was already a full-blown prog fan when I discovered that nowadays there are some modern prog bands out there.
This night wounds time.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 02:49
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

[ There seems to be a progressive mindset among a small number of music lovers and musicians that will always like what a band such as KC tends toward.   Whether that number is steady, shrinking or growing is hard to say.]
True but the thing is King Crimson aren't really that well known and so I don't know how a younger fan would just discover them out of the blue and then realize they are a prog band and then discover the genre that way. I'm not saying it's not possible but unless they did a google search for KC(assuming they were somehow turned on to them) and there was a link to this site I'm not sure how common that would be. Dream Theater would probably be more likely these days I'd say.
So it's basically a two step process. Number one they have to discover a band that is normally considered prog. Number two they have to think of or somehow hear that band referred to as being prog.

Well as I said, the people in question had seen KC open for Tool; that's how they discovered them and probably realized they were prog because 1) KC was on a bill with another band considered progressive, and 2) could tell they were prog as they were witnessing the music.

Don't underestimate people who like music, they'll surprise you.   And I don't think Crimson is as unknown as it may appear.   I'd guess they have more name recognition than Genesis or ELP among contemporary rock fans .

Edited by Atavachron - July 04 2014 at 02:56
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>