Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do newbies still discover prog through 70's bands?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo newbies still discover prog through 70's bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 04:02
I got into prog about four years ago via bands like Porcupine Tree, Anathema and Tool, as people at my school were listening to them. I kept noticing references to earlier bands which influenced these, and thus explored my dad's pink floyd collection. I then stumbled upon prog archives looking for reviews and realised I liked all kinds of 'prog'. I used the site to start properly exploring the seventies, getting the more classic albums first.  

I think people are more likely to start with modern bands these days, and then be introduced to the more classic bands indirectly through the internet. That or through their parents listening habits I guess.

Moral of the story though is that prog archives is a pretty amazing resource for prog newcomers!

Edited by Hnrz - July 04 2014 at 04:03
MisterGrouik View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 04:30
Discovered prog through Porcupine Tree.
Find out about a lot of modern prog band for 2 years.
Went to a friend's party, he plays Genesis - First of Fifth. Falling in love immediatly.
Find out about progarchives and all the pioneers of progressive rock thanks to this website.

So to answer this topic, I didn't discover prog through 70's band at all, it came very late for me.
"Je suis le Ténébreux, - le Veuf, - l'Inconsolé,
Le Prince d'Aquitaine à la Tour abolie :
Ma seule Etoile est morte, - et mon luth constellé
Porte le Soleil noir de la Mélancolie.
"
TheRollingOrange View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 09:59
I'm 20 and started getting into prog through Pink Floyd and later Genesis, and I honestly don't really listen to new prog, so yes, I discovered prog through 70's bands.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:09
Reading through the responses, I will generalize that Pink Floyd is the gateway prog.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:27
Interesting thread.  I am an oldbie, but not first generation more like an inbetweener who got into prog when punk had supposedly killed it.  It's nice to see younguns who got into it thanks to their parent(s) having something.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:31
for me its the same way it got me into music: Guitar Hero and Rock Band. 
Progrockdude
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:45
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

for me its the same way it got me into music: Guitar Hero and Rock Band. 
What prog songs are in those games?  (I've never played.  I 'play' Rocksmith and their ain't much prog there; just Rush.)
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
adenauer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:56
'21 century schizoid man' that's for starters, it was a very first meeting with KC for many friends of mine and I'm 25. For me it was different, because my parents were PF and KC fans who later turned boring ('let's listen to the radio in the car or maybe not'), yet the albums remained, and I was a curious kid.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 22:23
Originally posted by TheRollingOrange TheRollingOrange wrote:

I'm 20 and started getting into prog through Pink Floyd and later Genesis, and I honestly don't really listen to new prog, so yes, I discovered prog through 70's bands.

Do you mean later on you discovered Genesis or do you mean later Genesis as in the post Steve Hackett era?
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 00:23
well I guess I had prog floating around the house constantly but my formal introduction was when I got into Jethro Tull at around 14. Then Yes I guess officially started my obsession :) 
I never really dug the big modern prog bands such as PT, DT, Spock's goatee and what not. 
There be dragons
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 03:22
Bit of a mix. I only listened to jazz until I was 14 because that's what was played around the house, but Dad also had his 'Dad Music' such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Mike Oldfield, etc, which I was exposed to. But I didn't have any real interest in following that up at the time.*

In my jazz listening, I started to look for new stuff to listen to online, which started head more towards the fusion end of the spectrum, ending up knocking on rock's door with Mahavishnu Orchestra.

But then a school friend introduced me to Muse, and it was that band that got me into rock in general (and he also introduced me to The Mars Volta). Reading online that Muse were sometimes described as 'progressive rock', I read a bit more about the genre and decided it sounded like it would be up my alley, so I found Progarchives... 

*Only after I was fully into prog did I discover he had Selling England on vinyl!
Watcher of the Sky View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 04:07
I discover prog not so long ago (2 years), and I'm 16 years old, very young compared to the people of the forum.

And yes, I think most of us "newbies" discover prog rock throught the 70's classic bands and albums. The first prog album i heard was Dark Side of the Moon. A friend told me about the band and I decide to try (I used to listen 70's Hard Rock bands back there).

I really have to thanks for my friends to introduce me to Rock n' Roll and Prog Rock, my parents don't actually listen this type of music (actually they like brazillian pop songs, which I do not recommend to search)
Nous sommes du soleil
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 04:59
I wish i could go back in time to rediscover Yes and Genesis in the 70's. Was it that those bands were so good that made the experience so special or that i was discovering rock music for the fist time?
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 10:02
I discovered prog in 1969, when I first heard ITCOTCK.  By the time "Roundabout" became a single on local AM radio, I was hooked.  

Seeing Yes in 1972 (CTTE) sealed the deal. 

I still consider myself a newbie, it is amazing how many great bands are constantly showing up!   One of my favorites is "Scale the Summit," they are extremely inventive & channel Fripp's gamelan guitar sound.
jazz2896 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 11:23
For me, I discovered Queen when I was around 11 years old, a solid 7 years ago or so, and hearing songs like Bohemian Rhapsody and Death on Two Legs, I knew that there was something different about them and I tried to find other songs like those.  Being a bass player, I soon discovered the likes of Rush, which then snowballed into Genesis, ELP, and Yes, all before high school.  This wasn't the most popular music taste for my age group admittedly Smile but has led me to Magma, Van der Graaf, Cardiacs, and so on.  Not bad for a Nebraska boy Smile
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 13:08
As a "yoot" back in the late '60s, I grew up in a household where Tchaikovsky and other late romantic composers were played along with my mom's incessant barrage of Broadway musicals. Hence, I was raised with dense, overblown and pretentious music as the basis for my outlook on life. And so with the White Album, Tommy, and ITCOTCK began a lifelong infatuation with prog, fusion, jazz, and classical music. And I love it when a new band comes on the scene and makes me feel like a newbie all over again.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 18:59
Certainly certainly not.

Progheads today do not even listen to the 70s bands.

80s output by Rush stands a better chance. 90s/00s Rush even better.

Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Opeth, Agalloch are what the progheads today are getting into.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 19:26
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Certainly certainly not.Progheads today do not even listen to the 70s bands.80s output by Rush stands a better chance. 90s/00s Rush even better.Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Opeth, Agalloch are what the progheads today are getting into.

Well if you followed the responses in this thread you would see that that's not entirely true. I'd say it's maybe fifty fifty at best. It all boils down to what is being labelled as "prog" and imo not that many really big bands these days are being labelled prog. However, Marillion, Dream Theater, Ozric Tentacles and even Porcupine Tree while all at least twenty years old were all formed after the seventies.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 20:23
^ Yep--  it's not at all true, surprisingly
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 23:20
In my 30s. Grew up listening to contemporary music like Nirvana, electronic, and the like. Despite having very widely-ranging tastes in music, and having been a Rush fan for like forever, I'm embarrassed to say I completely missed the boat on most 70s prog until recently. I'm now listening to all of the classics by Yes, Jethro Tull, Hawkwind, ELP, Moody Blues, and so on for the first time and the best cuts by these bands are indeed brilliant and timeless. I'm also enjoying contemporary prog, where it seems the best work is being done by metal bands (Opeth, Animals as Leaders, Kylesa, Mastodon, and so on).

One thing that may have hampered my explorations of classic prog was my dislike of Pink Floyd. Always hated em, partly because their albums were played to death by some of my schoolmates. Also because I think they're half-serious pompously predictable noodlers like Radiohead, but that's a discussion for another thread (I prefer my prog musicians to be fully-serious pompous noodlers!)

Edited by Stereolab - July 05 2014 at 23:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>