Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do newbies still discover prog through 70's bands?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo newbies still discover prog through 70's bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 00:21
Rush seem to be pretty hip among many younger music fans so I can see that. Ditto for Pink Floyd. Yes not so much it would seem at least not compared to RUSH and Floyd imo.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 06:36
The only music I like is prog related music between 1968 and 83. So I continue to search for more bands in that era. It's never ending. Why bother with anything after 1983 apart from the occasional Magma or Tull?
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
waluigithewalrus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 23:08
My first experiences with Prog were with Rush. At the time, I really didn't have any idea what Prog was, but I determined that Rush was my favorite group and went with that. I later figured out what Prog was, but didn't go too deep into it largely because I was influenced by my father's choice of music, which was more of the typical classic rock. 

What really kicked off the prog train was when I bought Genesis's platinum collection. I sticked to the first two discs for a long while, being the Phil Collins fronted group. One day though, I decided to pop the third disc, the Peter Gabriel fronted line-up, in. I was blown away and went out to buy more Genesis soon after. After that, my prog collection kind of exploded. 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 00:27
Good thread Smile
Unless introduced to Prog by the parents with success (something not obvious since many youngsters deliberately distance themselves from anything "parents"), it seems key for the continuity of the legacy that the word "Prog" continues to be used here and there in connection with modern bands with some success, being either because those bands are still considered "progressive whatever" or either because they mention older Prog bands as influential for their music. Once exposed to the word Prog, curious people will search a bit what it is about and thanks to the net and sites like PA will surely learn about the importance of the 70's classics in forging that genre.

Perhaps a curious thing is that many youngsters get into Prog through the modern heavier bands (Prog-Metal, Muse etc) and via via they reach to the classic Prog bands which had nothing metal about them but rather opposite, early Genesis, Yes etc, and it's interesting how from a heavier and metal background they can come to appreciate the classic symphonic, non-metal Prog.
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 16:41
I got into the early stuff first when I was 17-18. I'd heard a lot of Pink Floyd and liked it okay, but Procol Harum got me interested in other prog. Then I got into Yes, who became my favorite band. I was biased against modern rock back then. I was an idiot. I didn't get into newer prog until I was 22. I still know more about classic prog than modern prog.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 16:50
I discovered it in my early high school years, starting with dream theater, tool, and porcupine tree in that order, which I will give credit for being good gateway bands.  Once I started listening to the 70's bands in earnest, I never looked back
uvtraveler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 21:42
I discovered it in middle school when my father took me to see Kansas in 1977 at the Palladium in NYC...it was an unbelievable show.  It was hard to believe these guys were "rock" musicians. I saw Jethro Tull a few months later, but Kansas at that time were much more "classical" with a hard rock edge.  My kids have all heard progrock from a very young age...Utopia's "Singring and the Glass Guitar" is always a good starter piece for a 5-year old  :-)
coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 02:10
Doubtful. I never wouldve gotten into old prog like Yes except for one reason: the cover art ruled. I figured if the music within could take me to those Roger Dean dreamworlds, I had to get into it! (I was 16, in the 2000s, when I started listening to old prog). 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 02:38
^ So why does that disqualify it?   The cover art is why I was listening to Tarkus when I was eight and bought Hemispheres when I was nine (I already loved science fiction & fantasy so it seemed a natural).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 02:53
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ So why does that disqualify it?   The cover art is why I was listening to Tarkus when I was eight and bought Hemispheres when I was nine (I already loved science fiction & fantasy so it seemed a natural).

Oh it doesn't - what I was trying to say is that most people my age today, and younger, dont gravitate towards it as much, but thanks to cover art I took the plunge. The music alone wouldn't have done it, as it took me a while to get into.

Lots of the younger bands today like AAL and Periphery, for example, dont pull that much influence from the older eras.

Edited by coffeeintheface - July 09 2014 at 02:53
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 03:00
You're right, the music took awhile to appreciate at that age.   It didn't seem to match the art, but of course in the context ot rock history it absolutely did.   I think the prog artists were quite smart to spend a little extra for topnotch art that did justice to the music and gave us something to look at.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TheRollingOrange View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 12:33
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Originally posted by TheRollingOrange TheRollingOrange wrote:

I'm 20 and started getting into prog through Pink Floyd and later Genesis, and I honestly don't really listen to new prog, so yes, I discovered prog through 70's bands.

Do you mean later on you discovered Genesis or do you mean later Genesis as in the post Steve Hackett era?
I started with Selling England, and I've mostly listened to the the Gabriel-era-Genesis. =) So yes, Genesis. 
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 14:47

Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

I'm 20 and started getting into prog through Pink Floyd and later Genesis, and I honestly don't really listen to new prog, so yes, I discovered prog through 70's bands.

Do you mean later on you discovered Genesis or do you mean later Genesis as in the post Steve Hackett era?

I started with Selling England, and I've mostly listened to the the Gabriel-era-Genesis. =) So yes, Genesis. 

Oh I see so you are one of those people who think that Genesis eventually turned into Phil Collins' backup band. Gotcha. ;)
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 15:20
I discovered Radiohead, Yes, and The Mars Volta, ages 11-12. So I discovered prog through both new and old bands I suppose.

musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 17:22

I’m 55 and I was a huge prog fan in 70s. But later, to me that music was dead. So I switched to Blues and World music. But I rediscovered the prog about 2 years ago with Steven Wilson and P.T. Wow! There are so many good bands from Sweden, Holland, Poland ECT. I like it so much that I started an Internet Radio Station. Tongue

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
Snowbound1997 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 17:31
I first got into prog when i was 13, when i first heard Dream Theater. I had listened to a couple Rush songs before, but wasn't crazy into them yet. I then got into more prog metal like Symphony X, and at the same time became a Rush fanatic. Now i'm 17 and my favorite band is Genesis, and i find myself listening to older prog rather than modern prog metal. 
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 17:38
welcome snowbound! Smile

sounds like an epic "how i got into prog"-story.. wish u much joy on your musical journey!
It's just a ride... <3
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 18:49
Originally posted by musitron musitron wrote:

I’m 55 and I was a huge prog fan in 70s. But later, to me that music was dead. So I switched to Blues and World music. But I rediscovered the prog about 2 years ago with Steven Wilson and P.T. Wow! There are so many good bands from Sweden, Holland, Poland ECT. I like it so much that I started an Internet Radio Station. Tongue

As Mind Drive (a truly warm person) said:  Welcome!
FunkyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 19:07
Sort of, I guess. When I was a young kid in the mid-late 80s, I was a fan of the poppier output of prog-bands and artists like Genesis, Yes, Peter Gabriel, etc. (and non-prog bands that are often cited as faviourites by a lot of prog fans).

Then when I was in high school in the mid-90s I hung out with a girl who was into Pink Floyd. From there, I discovered other prog-related stuff like Jethro Tull, older Yes and Genesis, Queen, Deep Purple, Kansas, etc. through classic rock radio, but I was also online, so I started discovering new bands through newsgroups and web sites that might still exist, but stopped updating ages ago. 

It was also around the dawn of the mp3, which I guess was good timing for a kid with a computer and internet access.

My brother was also discovering prog too, so we'd share whatever we find with each other and we found a lot of the 70s prog bands that don't typically get a lot of air time on local classic rock radio that way (i.e. Caravan, Gentle Giant, Camel, etc.). We also found and listened to a lot of then-newer bands too though, like Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, etc.

Edited by FunkyM - July 09 2014 at 19:11
Snowbound1997 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 00:04
Thanks, i hope to discover some awesome music here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>