Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bands with strong outputs after a long history...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands with strong outputs after a long history...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:09
echolyn (2012)

echolyn
20 years (in 2012) and no bad albums

Djam Karet Regenerator 3017

Djam Karet
30 years and pretty consistently great

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:37
Yep, Steve Hackett.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:56
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ yep a strange one, evidence that is purportedly self evident seldom convinces. Does anyone who doesn't play the guitar give a flying f*ck about the solo output of David Gilmour?

Let's be honest here: You don't have to be a Genesis fan to buy a Phil Collins album, and yes, most people who own Gilmour's solo stuff are die-hard Floyd fan...still David Gilmour, About Face and On an Island are very good, enjoyable records (esp. OaI). Good call imo, even if there's only 3 in 30 years.

Edited by Barbu - July 04 2014 at 12:08
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 12:20
IQ - The Road of Bones continues to grow day by day into a monster and Frequency was very good too.
Camel - Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink are up there with their very best albums of the 70s.
Pendragon - Although I adore The Window of Life and Masquerade Overture, Pure, Passion and Believe are also excellent.
Marillion - Still making great albums, though not quite up there with Fugazi and Seasons End.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 12:23
The Enid. Many ups and downs but still going strong.
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 12:54
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

echolyn (2012)

echolyn

Djam Karet

Agreed but that doesn't fit in with the OP question "are there other bands, that surprised us with awesome albums although their predecessor albums maybe weren´t that much critically acclaimed?"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 20:15
For me, Rick Wakeman's "Out There"; Pink Floyd's "Division Bell"; Steven Wilson's "The Raven that Refused to Sing" (and I guess "Grace for Drowning" too) - if we consider Porcupine Tree's discography as part of his own; Nightwish's "Imaginaerum".
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 01:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

echolyn (2012)

echolyn

Djam Karet

Agreed but that doesn't fit in with the OP question "are there other bands, that surprised us with awesome albums although their predecessor albums maybe weren´t that much critically acclaimed?"
The OP is not clear at all, as the title is "Bands with strong outputs after a long history... ...of successful releases"
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 01:32
Weird that no one up to now has mentioned Rush. They have also had exactly the same line up for 40 years and still putting out quality albums. OK they may be 3-4 star albums rather than 4-5 star albums but I can live with that.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 16:15
Fish, of course.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 17:12

Djam Karet

Agreed. And still not able to write something meaningful about this new album!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 17:25
I know, I've been mentioning these guys in every thread I get a chance of late, but I really think Motorpsycho fits the bill here.

After releasing several, IMO, excellent and progressive albums in the '90's and early 2000's, they changed drummers from Håkon Gebhardt, who, according to the band's front man, Bent Sæther*, tried to play jazz, to Kenneth Kapstad, who, according to Sæther again*, is jazz, and moved closer towards a more traditional perception of what prog rock is, although retaining key elements of their unique style, of what's made them popular in the past, such as the fuzzy guitar sound, and perhaps culminated their career with the 2012 masterpiece The Death Defying Unicorn, 22 years after their first official release.

*citation taken from memory and may not be exact
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 19:44
Ozric Tentacles? I personally love the new Dream Theater album. The new Fates Warning album is excellent.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 21:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Weird that no one up to now has mentioned Rush. They have also had exactly the same line up for 40 years and still putting out quality albums. OK they may be 3-4 star albums rather than 4-5 star albums but I can live with that.

Agreed. Especially since most people prefer the 2000's-2010's material over their 1990's albums. Prime example.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 22:40
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Agreed. Especially since most people prefer the 2000's-2010's material over their 1990's albums. Prime example.

Indeed. Actually, overall, Clockwork Angels may just as well be my favourite Rush album.
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 00:34
I'm glad you mentioned the last Rush album. Astounding, one of the most remarkable albums of their career.

Another one I have on my mind, just compare the new Saga album, "Sagacity," to the new Yes album - "Heaven and Earth." Saga are putting out some of the most energetic and inspiring music of their career, and Yes... oh I weep...
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
JCDenton View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 23:01
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I know, I've been mentioning these guys in every thread I get a chance of late, but I really think Motorpsycho fits the bill here.

I was glad someone covered this before me. Motorpsycho's a great example!

I often forget Porcupine Tree were making albums for over a decade before releasing In Absentia, and over fifteen years before Fear of a Blank Planet. Hm.. Everything else I've thought of has already been mentioned in this thread. Oh, yeah. It seems every Discipline release has gotten better and better!
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 00:47
Some of the old-school bands seem to have definitely lost the mojo (Yes as prime example, I'd dare to mention DT but I'l wait for their next album before deciding) which honestly is understandable, with Yes we are talking people who are over their 60's now.
But for those who retain some creativity, I think it has been very important for them to realise that there still exists a solid base of loyal Prog lovers, and that many people want more classic Prog from them. For some period they may have tried to reach to younger and wider audiences through more commercial music, but in most cases they have rather failed, neither convincing the proggers neither the targeted new audience, and finally they have realised that if they keep doing good Prog they can still receive strong support from the loyal Prog fan-base, so this has resulted in some revival of really good Prog by bands which had already a long history.
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 17:12
Aside from Swans (which were already mentioned), I would like to say Ulver. Constantly amazing, and their last is one of their best.
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 17:12
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Some of the old-school bands seem to have definitely lost the mojo (Yes as prime example, I'd dare to mention DT but I'l wait for their next album before deciding) which honestly is understandable, with Yes we are talking people who are over their 60's now.
But for those who retain some creativity, I think it has been very important for them to realise that there still exists a solid base of loyal Prog lovers, and that many people want more classic Prog from them. For some period they may have tried to reach to younger and wider audiences through more commercial music, but in most cases they have rather failed, neither convincing the proggers neither the targeted new audience, and finally they have realised that if they keep doing good Prog they can still receive strong support from the loyal Prog fan-base, so this has resulted in some revival of really good Prog by bands which had already a long history.

well said!

i found another one: Galahad - their newest effords are really great! Approve
It's just a ride... <3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>