Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bands with strong outputs after a long history...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands with strong outputs after a long history...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 09:52
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Weird that no one up to now has mentioned Rush. They have also had exactly the same line up for 40 years and still putting out quality albums. OK they may be 3-4 star albums rather than 4-5 star albums but I can live with that.
Agreed. Especially since most people prefer the 2000's-2010's material over their 1990's albums. Prime example.

Indeed. Actually, overall, Clockwork Angels may just as well be my favourite Rush album.

Maybe it's because I'm not so young and impressionable anymore but I prefer older Rush to newer Rush. The last album to truly resonate with me was Presto. Counterparts is probably next. Clockwork Angels is a good album. Light years better than either Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows

Edited by Jeffro - July 21 2014 at 07:38
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 10:02
Magma. After taking a nose-dive in the 80's, the band has returned with some of their best material ever (KA, Ehmtett (meh, I'm too lazy to look up how it's actually spelled) Re, and Felicite Thosz).
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 16:15
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Swans have had one heck of a comeback. Many people say their last two are their best ever.

For me it's totally different and almost incomparable to their early output. Not sure which I prefer but it hardly sounds like the same band.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 16:01
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Weird that no one up to now has mentioned Rush. They have also had exactly the same line up for 40 years and still putting out quality albums. OK they may be 3-4 star albums rather than 4-5 star albums but I can live with that.
Agreed. Especially since most people prefer the 2000's-2010's material over their 1990's albums. Prime example.

Indeed. Actually, overall, Clockwork Angels may just as well be my favourite Rush album.

Maybe it's because I'm not so young and impressionable anymore but I prefer older Rush to newer Rush. The last album to truly resonate with me was Presto. Counterparts is probably next. Clockwork Angels is a good album. Lights years better than either Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows

Well, I guess I could say I am rather new to Rush, the last few years, but I did get all their 70's albums (up to Moving Pictures) before Clockwork Angels was released (besides those albums, I have a pair of live albums, but just about nothing else from Moving Pictures up to Clockwork Angels). I'm sure most of their 70's albums have songs I like better than just about anything from Clockwork Angels... but at the same time, Clockrwork Angels is the only album in which I do like every single song... and from what I've heard on the live albums I have, I don't think any of the other albums I'm missing would be close to doing the same thing (well, I have Snakes and Arrows live, and it's got a lot of songs that are really great too).
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 10:41

Maybe it's because I'm not so young and impressionable anymore but I prefer older Rush to newer Rush. The last album to truly resonate with me was Presto. Counterparts is probably next. Clockwork Angels is a good album. Lights years better than either Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows

Well, I guess I could say I am rather new to Rush, the last few years, but I did get all their 70's albums (up to Moving Pictures) before Clockwork Angels was released (besides those albums, I have a pair of live albums, but just about nothing else from Moving Pictures up to Clockwork Angels). I'm sure most of their 70's albums have songs I like better than just about anything from Clockwork Angels... but at the same time, Clockrwork Angels is the only album in which I do like every single song... and from what I've heard on the live albums I have, I don't think any of the other albums I'm missing would be close to doing the same thing (well, I have Snakes and Arrows live, and it's got a lot of songs that are really great too).

Rush is so different, before and after Moving Pictures, I can understand why people who like the earlier stuff are not all that fond of the 80s output. I love it. Power Windows speaks to me in completely different ways than Hemispheres does. The constant is that they both speak to me and that's why Rush is my favorite band.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 10:44
Another band I think has been putting out very strong albums of late has been Saga. I think everything they've done from Network on has been really good and matches their early 80's output for quality and prog-quotient.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 11:37

Rush is so different, before and after Moving Pictures, I can understand why people who like the earlier stuff are not all that fond of the 80s output. I love it. Power Windows speaks to me in completely different ways than Hemispheres does. The constant is that they both speak to me and that's why Rush is my favorite band.

In the '80s, fans of '70s Rush lamented the introduction of keyboards. In the '90s, fans of '70s-'80s Rush lamented, with the exception of Counterparts, albums that were good from start to finish because Presto, Roll The Bones and T4E (with the exception of the universally lauded "Driven") were patchier than what Rush fans were used to. Face it, we were spoiled.

In spite of its controversial mastering, I felt Vapor Trails was a return to form. Rush sounded like a band reinvigorated and Neil drummed like a madman again. Gone was the more laidback feel of Presto and RTB with those tinny REM-esque guitars. Rush sounded like a power trio again.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 01:06
^ yep and I find the last 3 albums all very enjoyable. They try really hard and that has to be commended.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123