Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 07:38
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Not really excited at all . Let me guess that this will be a plodding mostly instrumental album with some standard bluesy guitar bits?

Exactly what I like Big smile

Works for me too....
Me three

Me four. Tongue
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 08:13
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Not really excited at all . Let me guess that this will be a plodding mostly instrumental album with some standard bluesy guitar bits?

Works for me too....
Me three

Me four. Tongue

Me five Big smile
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 09:22
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Works for me too....
Me three

Me four. Tongue

Me five Big smile

i don't give a sh*t what it is, im still buying it damnit!! Evil Smile
Progrockdude
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 10:22
It's just damn fun and exciting that Floyd has an album coming out.  Of course, the glory days are behind us, but Division Bell and Momentary Lapse had some good moments.  I really hope they tour a bit.  We are getting to the end of the classic rock artists being able to be on the road, so this is just damn fun!!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 12:02
After that what Yes has published so far, it is really difficult for me to get excited about their new album. I thought I'd preorder that but I want to spend my money on better music. I'm excited about Pink Floyd's new album but I'm worried that it will be poor. Unhappy Time will show, I hope I'll be satisfied. Wink
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 13:36
I love the idea of a new Floyd album coming out but I do hope that Roger Waters is involved musically and lyrically.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 14:11
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I love the idea of a new Floyd album coming out but I do hope that Roger Waters is involved musically and lyrically.
oink oink flap flap LOL
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 14:16
There are actually none of the classic prog bands from the '70's that I am interested in when it comes to new material.  I don't even listen to them very much anymore vs the vital new stuff going on by new bands these days. So you who are enthused get to try it first. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 17:05
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 19:23
This provides a bit more info, got this (kill me now) from the Rolling Stone webpage (Hey, it was the first link that came up! ):

Durga McBroom-Hudson, a singer who toured with Pink Floyd in the 1980s and 1990s and is apparently involved in the new project, offered more details on `The Endless River' through her Facebook page. "The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled 'The Big Spliff' that Nick Mason spoke about)," she explained. "Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That's the song you see being worked on in the photo." She went on to emphasize that the new album will consist entirely of unreleased songs.

Hopefuly, although I really wouldn't want to hear a purely instrumental Floyd album (as much as I love instrumental discs).....but damn `The Endless River' is a slightly cliched and unoriginal title.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 21:31
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. 

This worries me. I was hoping that The Endless River would be mainly instrumental. Roger Waters is a one of a kind genius; on the post-Barrett, pre-AMLOR PF albums he was able to express very complex and unconventional thoughts with clarity and elegance (while maintaining proper rhythm and rhyme). On the AMLOR, the lyricists are already struggling. Apart from One Slip - hate to say it - the lyrics are either rickety, or commonplace, or fragmented/vague/abstruse. It doesn't get any better on The Division Bell. But, if they decided to add some lyrics and vocals after all, I guess there is very little we can do about it. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 22:01
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Works for me too....
Me three
Me four. Tongue
Me five Big smile

i don't give a sh*t what it is, im still buying it damnit!! Evil Smile

Yeah, I guess it would be fine for me. But this is no King Crimson, and Gilmour is no Fripp, so I don't think he would be up to doing such an album at this point of life under the name of Pink Floyd. Perhaps under his solo name, but under Pink Floyd he would surely be thinking about a more polished finished conventional product. Back in the day they would surely have been up to the task, but no more.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 22:21
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do am getting ever more exited about this. After rapidly loosing hope for the new Yes album, this news are really great. For what I understood from the news I've read, this album will use the leftovers from "Division Bell" (which I must admit doesn't sound so very promising... but it's Pink Floyd, they have never released a weak album under their name... at least not since Dark Side, or even before that). However, if some of the rumors mentioned on this thread are true (which I would be a bit wary to believe), and the barn jams and the work Wright was doing before passing away are really being used too, that would be just awsome and might give more material to work on. And, if by any chance, Waters was to be involved on this project too, that would just seal the deal... however, I don't really think that would happen. Now, which should be the better release this year? Pink Floyd, David Gilmour solo, or Roger Waters solo? It's too much for one year.

I don't want to get your hopes up. I was only speculating about whether unused Wright compositions would be on the album. I never read anything to the effect; I only vaguely remember reading something about Wright working on a follow-up to Broken China. Does anyone else remember reading something along those lines?
BTW, if that new Waters song that was recently released is anything to go by, his new album could be quite lame... (I admire his politics, I agree with him 100% concerning his views of the Israeli occupation and his calls for a South Africa Apartheid-like boycott of Israel; I just didn't like that new track at all.)

Yeah, I do understand this... that's whay I said that what I know for (almost) fact that they will be using is leftovers from DB. However, I would wonder if they would be up to the quality of a new Floyd album... I would just have to hope Gilmour knows what he is doing. About the unfinished Wright album, I have read about it, and even posted it more than once in this forum, and have thought before that it would have been great if Gilmour would take whatever was advanced and finished it... perhaps under the Pink Floyd name. And, in order to have enough quality material for a new album, I do believe Gilmour would need to use not only those leftovers, but also the Barn Jams and what Wright might have been able to record for that new album... so I do hope Gilmour is using some of those too.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 01:50
We are all so funny and without stirring the thread up....some of us so damn self righteousTongue

WTF????? A new Pink Floyd album, best news this year by far. We all knew there was material left over from Rick's sessions and many many bands use unreleased material to forge ahead with a new release. I would be disappointed if Roger is not part of the album given the ' bonding' between them in recent years and well Water's input would be incredible to say the least. He has said he is working on a solo for the last 22 years, there is only one other artist that keeps procrastinating on new material like Water's, yes Peter Gabriel! So anyway wonderful news even if it 5 minutes of new PF material, I would be stoked.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 02:06
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Water's has said he is working on a solo for the last 22 years

It used to crack me up when, about every two years or so, a story would come up on music websites about Waters working on a new solo album, and every time I'd roll my eyes and think `Ain't gonna happen!'

Of course, we were lucky to get one or two Bob Dylan covers from him....oh, be still my beating heart and can I maintain my excitement?!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 07 2014 at 02:07
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 02:45
It may not be Floyd from the heart, but Floyd in spirit. I love the few Barn Jams I have on the Gdansk LP set, if this is an indication, then there's potential for some choice material.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 03:35
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

We are all so funny and without stirring the thread up....some of us so damn self righteousTongue

WTF????? A new Pink Floyd album, best news this year by far. We all knew there was material left over from Rick's sessions and many many bands use unreleased material to forge ahead with a new release. I would be disappointed if Roger is not part of the album given the ' bonding' between them in recent years and well Water's input would be incredible to say the least. He has said he is working on a solo for the last 22 years, there is only one other artist that keeps procrastinating on new material like Water's, yes Peter Gabriel! So anyway wonderful news even if it 5 minutes of new PF material, I would be stoked.
ClapClapClap

Absolutely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure a new Floyd album would out-sell all of his solo albums put together, but I don't believe that he has ever openly exploited the name just for the money and the ticket sales - like Waters, he's doing just fine as a solo artist. Given the success of the albums On An Island and Live In Gadansk and the video releases of David Gilmour In Concert and Remember That Night (all released under his own name and all featuring Rick Wright, with all the live tours and subsequent live recordings drawing heavily on the Pink Floyd back-catalogue) then if he feels that The Endless River is a Pink Floyd album and not a David Gilmour solo album then it should be assumed that he has good reason to do so.

The Barn Jams were released as a bonus disc to Live In Gadansk as part of the David Gilmour discography, not as Pink Floyd and they are all credited to Gilmour even though Rick is playing on them. The same is true of Island Jam from Remember That Night. So if there were parts of those jam sessions that can be credited to (or with) Rick Wright then it is my guess that he possibly didn't feel comfortable releasing them, not because they were not up to muster, but because (possibly out of respect for Wright) he didn't regard them as solo release material.

I remember at the first Meltdown concert in June 2001 an audience member shouted out something about a new Floyd album and his response was "Who gives a f**k?" - (to a huge roar of laughter from the audience) ...13 years later the answer is clear "David Gilmour does". But until more details of this album are announced all we can do is guess and speculate - and that's part of the fun and excitement of it all because love it or loath it, we all "give a f**k" - several of them in fact.

Anyway, I hope Phil Manzanera is on the album. Approve
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:08
To be a totally instrumental album would be somewhat of a 'cop-out'. Not that Gilmour and Wright's work is not up to snuff, but a full instrumental work from one of 'the greats' would certainly divide fans. Wright may not be a 'virtuoso' in the true sense, but no-one can match his magic touch and ideas. Waters was a competent bassist, no doubt, and Mason's drumming style fit the band's material perfectly, but it's definitely the keyboards from Rick, and Gilmour's amazing guitar stylings that define Floyd for me..........
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:26
I'd like a slightly `bigger' sounding album that still has the same restraint as Gilmour's `On An Island'.

I think, if it was mostly instrumental, then it might be closer to RichardH's `plodding instrumental album with some standard bluesy guitar bits?' assumption from a page or so back. We need to hear Dave sing, otherwise it will end up sounding a little less special....and probably like a bunch of albums and bands scattered over the Archives!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 07 2014 at 04:27
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:28
The album won't be fully instrumental, I think. At least there is a female choir with Durga McBroom as one of the singers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>