Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJon Anderson quote re: Yes lasting forever

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon Anderson quote re: Yes lasting forever
    Posted: July 06 2014 at 22:09
Years ago, I saw a quote from Jon Anderson to the effect that he saw a scenario in which Yes could last forever, with new members being grafted in over time and that the band could continue even after the members of the classic lineup had all retired. I've been trying to find the quote again and am having absolutely no luck. Does anybody here have any idea what I'm talking about and how this quote went? I'm going nuts trying to find it.

Sorry if this isn't the right spot in the forum to put this question.
"History of Rock Written by the Losers."
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 00:53
Originally posted by tarkus1980 tarkus1980 wrote:

Years ago, I saw a quote from Jon Anderson to the effect that he saw a scenario in which Yes could last forever, with new members being grafted in over time and that the band could continue even after the members of the classic lineup had all retired. I've been trying to find the quote again and am having absolutely no luck. Does anybody here have any idea what I'm talking about and how this quote went? I'm going nuts trying to find it.

I'm sure this is the correct forum!  

I think both Anderson and Wakeman have made statements to that effect.  It is similar to comparing the band Yes to a legendary orchestra, like the London Philharmonic.  The members may change, but the music continues to evolve with new members. 

Mind you, I never expected all the back-stabbing that this lot seems capable of, but that has gone on all the way back to the late, great Peter Banks.  

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 00:57
Rick Wakeman made a similar comment on the Onion tour when he compared Yes to an orchestra. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 09:14
Not exactly the quote but it kind of hints at it.

"

Paul Cashmere: Having survived 35 years, this is a band who transcends trends. Do you feel you could play this music forever?Jon Anderson: 30 years later the music is still pretty viable. We play it on stage and it sounds beautiful to us when we perform it. The audience loves it. It is timeless music to us.

Rick Wakeman: Music shouldn't have a date stamped on it. Classical music doesn't have the date stamped on it. If you listen to any of the 30 or 40 or so sonatas of Mozart nobody knows if he wrote one four years before another one. They are either good music and stand up or they don't stand up. I think the media in the 80s is a lot to blame. When things became fashionable they started to have dates stamped on them. It got to the ludicrous stage where if a piece of music was two years old it was ready to be ditched. I think the new generation of writers and media have kicked that one completely. If it is good music, it lasts forever. "

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 09:30
it might as well last forever, even though you people keep criticizing the band nowadays (to which i say bullsh*t!!) mainly for no JA as well as the music they make nowadays. i know its cheesy (they ain't the only ones *cough* Frontier *cough*), but i still listen to it because its Yes, and i that's how i see it. perfect quote that JA made despite this crap if its ever found.
Progrockdude
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 10:04
With so many bands from the classic rock (AOR) era like Foriegner, Journey and Styx still touring with basially just one or two original members (and none of the original singers), I don't see Yes can't continue 'forever'. The question is do you what to see what is for is, in all intents and purposes, an officially sanctioned cover band? Some people have no problem with this and cover bands are becoming very popular like The Musical Box, but to me it's just not the real thing.

Edited by SteveG - July 08 2014 at 09:22
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 10:23
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 10:41
^ "Here's a picture of it, what more bloody proof do you need."

Edited by Dean - July 07 2014 at 10:41
What?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 10:48
One of Yes' numerous videos includes an interview with the guys where they discuss this idea of Yes lasting forever.  I believe that it might have been on this one from 1991, but it may have been a more recent one.  As I recall, they discussed the possibility of it being similar to any other family business in that the first generation might pass the business along to the 2nd generation.  From their standpoint, Yes might still be Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe, but it would be the offspring who continued to fly the Yes flag.

Yes Yesyears - A Retrospective  album cover
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 11:14
I suspect that if Anderson said it, (or words to that effect), then he never imagined it being without him as lead singer.
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 12:07
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I think both Anderson and Wakeman have made statements to that effect.  It is similar to comparing the band Yes to a legendary orchestra, like the London Philharmonic.  The members may change, but the music continues to evolve with new members. 
Mind you, I never expected all the back-stabbing that this lot seems capable of, but that has gone on all the way back to the late, great Peter Banks.  

Yes is a brand name now.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 13:00
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Yes is a brand name now.
It sure is:

Wait.  Are those lemons?

Edited by Evolver - July 07 2014 at 13:02
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 13:32
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Yes is a brand name now.

It sure is:

Wait.  Are those lemons?

Actually they would be more like floating islands but who cares about the details like that    

Edited by Svetonio - July 07 2014 at 13:34
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 13:43
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I suspect that if Anderson said it, (or words to that effect), then he never imagined it being without him as lead singer.
I have to agree that statements like this are often of there time and circumstances and really have little meaning for the present or future but do make for good discussions.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 19:50
When Ollie Wakeman joined Yes, I actually had hope that the band would evolve with a younger lineup who had the chops to keep generating new, progressive symphonic music in the tradition of Yes.  

However, hiring endless tribute singers is not entirely "progressive" in my opinion, I was hoping that they might recruit a woman.  This would attract new demographics and open the sound of the band up considerably.  I suppose Squire wouldn't be able to keep his hands to himself....Hug

I had rather high hopes for Jon Davison in his role as singer and composer, but so far, the music on "Heaven and Earth" is not impressive.  The lyrics are particularly bad, written in a "Gee, let me try to write like Jon Anderson!" style. Ugh.  

If the band brought in youth (maybe Billy Sherwood?), the old ones could sit in the wings and be mentors.  I'd think they would like that, but they seem very invested in total control.  Or Total Mass Retain.  Or something.  

I'm Yes-ed out, sorry!  Pinch
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 00:03
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Cool, "Yes" is just a label, the point at which we no longer consider it valid is a matter of personal preference.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 06:56

If the band brought in youth (maybe Billy Sherwood?), the old ones could sit in the wings and be mentors.  I'd think they would like that, but they seem very invested in total control.  Or Total Mass Retain.  Or something.  

You mean the 49 year old Billy Sherwood? I suppose that counts as youth compared to Squire and Howe. Anyway, he is involved in the new album.
 Post Reply Post Reply