FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Steven Wilson release: Cover Version

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Steven Wilson release: Cover Version
    Posted: July 07 2014 at 09:37
The new release from Steven Wilson titled Cover Version was released in the US last week. The album contains 6 cover version singles and their B sides put out by Wilson from 2003 up to 2011, and is the first time all of the singles and Wilsons original B sides have been compiled on CD and Vinyl. I listened to the CD version briefly this weekend and can sum it up as true Wilson solo recordings without input from Porcupine Tree members or his current touring band for the album TRTRTS. The lead off track is a cover of the  Alanis Morrissette song 'Thank You' that is performed with only acoustic guitars and piano and comes off well as the lyrics of the song would have fit nicely on PT's Fear of A Blank Planet album and is a highlight. The others songs are all done in a slow tempo with, again, acoustic guitars backed by plaintive Mellotron and light electric guitar noodlings. Without writing a full review or giving too much away, I have to say that there is little Prog music on the album aside from two prog related songs, and that full drums and bass are noticeably missing. I personally find song re-interpreations by someone of Wilson's caliber and stature facinating but I have a feeling that many fans of PT or Wilson's later solo work like TRTRTS may not.

Edited by SteveG - July 08 2014 at 19:24
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 03:42
My first impressions were that it is a brilliantly produced, very innovative and intimate collection of singer-songwriter pieces. I think whether you like this will largely depend on whether you enjoy the singer-songwriter format, as it is fairly minimalist. I don't know a few of the songs covered but it appears they are completely Wilsonized, and they definitely triumph in their own right. I found the guitar tone very nostalgic in places, as it sounds much like the guitar on stupid dream; there are nods to different parts of Steven's work, and you can hear the development. Very interesting and enjoyable. 
Watcher of the Sky View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 04:41
I have no money to buy it... damn
Nous sommes du soleil
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 06:18
I have mixed feelings - the original six singles are firm favourites of mine and have to admit that waiting for each to be released and then collecting them together in the final "box-set" case added to the joy and pleasure of hearing them first one by one and then as a complete set. Part of me feels disappointed that they are now released as an album, as if SWilson has taken some of the magic away, then another part of me sees that is a churlish reaction, artists have to make a living.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 12:13
^I have a friend who feels the same way regarding collecting of the singles and box set, but he is not as generous as you are in regard to Wilson being able to make a profit from the compilation.

Edited by SteveG - July 08 2014 at 12:18
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 12:41
All-anus Morrissette.  I can't say that this is a selling point to me.  I suppose he can do better with any song than she can.  I saw her once (free tickets, or I would have asked for my money back), and I would swear that she was tone deaf, and rhythmically impaired.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 12:53
Perhaps it was ironic.

...and by that I of course mean an unfortunate though slightly amusing coincidence.
What?
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 17:13
It seemed more "mo" than "i".
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply