FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums You Don't Like That You Should

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums You Don't Like That You Should
    Posted: July 08 2014 at 15:56
Does anyone else have this, where a highly rated album by a band you really like ends up being bad? Some of mine:

Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again... (4.24)
I absolutely love the debut (3.67) and In The Land Of Grey And Pink (4.27), and really like the couple afterwards, but I'd give this album 3 stars in a generous mood, whereas the others would be high 4 and 5 stars.

Egg - The Polite Force (4.11)
Again, love the band but this album would get a 2-star rating. Despite this apparently being the band's best effort, the debut (3.68) gets a solid 5-star, and "The Civil Surface" a high 4-star. I should be digging the technical stuff as I did with the others, but no idea why I find it almost unlistenable.

Same thing goes for ELP's debut, Gentle Giant's "Acquiring The Taste", and Jethro Tull's "Benefit" amongst others.

Looking forward to if you've got any of these odd occurrences, and what the albums are Smile

Edited by Xonty - July 09 2014 at 04:04
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 16:11
Not sure about 'hate' but Dark Side Of The Moon has never moved me one iota and the production seemed to have drained all the life out of it (yet is apparently groundbreaking) . I like all Floyd from Meddle to The Wall but DSOTM leaves me a bit baffled. Its still 3 stars in my book , not terrible obviously.

Some prog just seems a bit too laid back like Camel , early Gentle Giant and even some Genesis when they are in a very pastoral mood for my tastes but I'd struggle to say I hate any of it ( I don't).

Possibly Images and Words and Script For A Jesters Tear might qualify. Both 2 star albums to me although I like at least 3 or 4 other albums by those bands enough to give them 4 or 5 stars on occasion.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 16:53
I think the thread would work better if it was called "Albums You Don't Get ... ". "Hate" is such a strong word that stands for an emotion all of us evade.

One album I'd add to my list is The Lamb ... . Every time I listen to it is like as if I'm banging my head against the wall. I enjoy only five tracks out of the total of 23. Five down, 18 to go. Eh. Pinch This is coming way too slow.

What else? In The Land of Grey and Pink. Nearly everything is wrong on that album (and not in a good way), though "Golf Girl", the piano solo on the title track, and the piano/Mellotron part on "Nine Feet ... " are quite enjoyable.

Octopus. I've had enough of that album. I tried. I swear on my life I tried. A dozen times. Probably music for musicians, not for people who seek melody, true innovation, a rich sound, and a strong atmosphere.

Bitches Brew. The very knowledge that this album is popular in our music circles and really sounds like a hell of a mess simply bewilders me. Again, probably music for musicians, not for people who seek melody, true duh-duh-duh-duh-duh ... .

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 27 2014 at 05:23
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 17:03
I reserve my hate for things that really deserve it. Like spiders and people driving slower than me in front of me, in the left lane... No time to "hate" music. Especially prog. If I don't like it, I just won't listen to it. Spending the time and energy it would take to actively hate a piece of music seems pointless.

However, a couple albums I don't get I always thought I should are:

Marillion's Brave. Love most of their other recorded output, including most of the stuff with h, but just don't get this album. ELP's BSS always has left me a little cold. The only tracks that really grab me are movement 1, part 1 (not the dreadfully overplayed part 2) of Karn Evil 9 and Toccata.   Jerusalem and Still are ok for what they are, but the rest of Karn Evil 9 I find rather dull. I love ELP's first 3 official albums as well as Pictures and Works Vol. 1. But BSS just never really clicked.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 17:21
I "don't get"

Gentle Giant-Three Friends-for me, it is kind of dull-I love Freehand much more

King Crimson-Red-don't get the love for this, much prefer the first three albums

Genesis-Foxtrot-I much prefer Trespass

Soft Machine-debut and Volume Two-very disjointed records, what came later was a vast improvement

Edited by presdoug - July 08 2014 at 17:27
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 17:48
Magic Pie debut  is not an album I like ( I do enjoy green apples though)
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 18:33
I just wanted to say that every single album the OP mentions is possibly my favourite from that particular band LOL

I feel like I should at least be able to tolerate TMV
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 19:22
Wait for it...wait....The Raven That Refused To Sing and other stories...silence...I kill you.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 19:44
Everything by Dream Theater and Periphery and The Garden by Unitopia.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Watcher of the Sky View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 22:04
Dream Theater - Octavarium and The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

I just don't enjoy it, no special reason.
Nous sommes du soleil
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 22:23
I 'don't get' and all IMHO -

-Any Soft Machine album
-Most Canterbury bands (esp. Caravan, Matching Mole, National Health)
-Robert Wyatt in general does nothing for me (Rock Bottom has to be one of the most overrated prog rock albums of all-time)
-Most Neo-Progressive bands with the exception of Marillion and IQ
-Magma (horrible, horrible band)
-The whole RIO movement (noise pollution to my ears)
-Roxy Music
-Hawkwind
-Eloy (such hideous vocals that butcher the English language)
-Steve Hillage
-Gong
-Steven Wilson in general, although I do like some of Porcupine Tree albums
-I can tolerate some progressive metal like Fates Warning and Dream Theater, but, in general this genre leaves me cold

I have a love/hate relationship with Gentle Giant and I'm starting to come around to Jethro Tull. I LOVE A Passion Play!

Edited by Mirror Image - July 08 2014 at 22:33
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:01
Hideous, terrible, pollution.

Wow!

Maybe you should stick to classical music, dude.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:17
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Hideous, terrible, pollution.

Wow!

Maybe you should stick to classical music, dude.

I love Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, Rush, and Marillion. These bands, for me, are the cream of the crop while so much else I've heard has failed to touch or move me. Also, these bands are enough to keep me busy for a lifetime. I'm not sticking my head in the sand, I'm simply filtering out music I don't enjoy. Nothing wrong with this and as long as I'm honest with myself, it doesn't matter what anyone else says. I enjoy what I enjoy and that's all there is to it.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 08 2014 at 23:29
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:34
^ Nothing wrong with it, of course. It's just your *I don't like it so it suck* attitude that bugs me, but that's my problem. Freedom of speech, dude.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:43
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ Nothing wrong with it, of course. It's just your *I don't like it so it suck* attitude that bugs me, but that's my problem. Freedom of speech, dude.

Then I guess you don't like a lot of people's attitudes on this forum. Last time I checked, I wasn't the only person here who has said harsh things about music I don't care for. To be honest, I don't like spending time talking about music I don't enjoy and find it much more beneficial to talk about music that I do enjoy, which has made me reconsider even posting in these types of threads, which seem to be designed to trash music that does nothing for us.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 00:18
Not enjoying dissonance and unexpected notes is fair enough. Some of the German singing and phrasing brings a smile to my face, it's part of the atmosphere for me, Eloy's voice of the god on Ocean intoning "primary procreation is accomplished".
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 02:16
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Bitches Brew. The very knowledge that this album is popular in our music circles and really sounds like a hell of a mess simply bewilders (if not agitates) me. Again, probably music for musicians, not for people who seek melody, true duh-duh-duh-duh-duh ... .

Have to agree with you there. No matter how much I try, I can't get past the fact that it's just some guys noodling around.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 04:27
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Magma (horrible, horrible band)

Wow    I know they aren't for everyone, but this is really harsh, man.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 04:30
^ Yeah, ... 

-Robert Wyatt in general does nothing for me (Rock Bottom has to be one of the most overrated prog rock albums of all-time)

... that's a lot of hatred without any serious critical assessment. There's a fine line between "overrated" (which is a term that makes sense only when taken objectively) and "not for me". A lot of us like melodies, uneasy atmospheres, and distorted synthesizers, you don't, and that's the deal. No "over-rated" here.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 09 2014 at 04:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 09:31
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Yeah, ... 

-Robert Wyatt in general does nothing for me (Rock Bottom has to be one of the most overrated prog rock albums of all-time)

... that's a lot of hatred without any serious critical assessment. There's a fine line between "overrated" (which is a term that makes sense only when taken objectively) and "not for me". A lot of us like melodies, uneasy atmospheres, and distorted synthesizers, you don't, and that's the deal. No "over-rated" here.

Melodies, uneasy atmospheres, and distorted synthesizers...I guess you're forgetting I'm a huge Floyd fan. Wink BTW, where in my post about Wyatt's Rock Bottom did I say I 'hated it'. I just said it was overrated. I really don't like it when people put words into my mouth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>