FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums You Don't Like That You Should

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 08:28
I feel like I should like The Mars Volta.  I bought "Deloused" and "Frances" and put them on from time to time, but I can't handle it for very long.  I can dig the complexity, I can dig the experimental strains, and I can even dig the punky energy, but something about the way the albums are mixed is just unpleasant to my ears.  It feels like everything is either in the red all the time, or really quiet.  As good as the music is, the band's sense of dynamics just isn't my style.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 08:35
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I feel like I should like The Mars Volta.  I bought "Deloused" and "Frances" and put them on from time to time, but I can't handle it for very long.  I can dig the complexity, I can dig the experimental strains, and I can even dig the punky energy, but something about the way the albums are mixed is just unpleasant to my ears.  It feels like everything is either in the red all the time, or really quiet.  As good as the music is, the band's sense of dynamics just isn't my style.
I know what you mean. They can sound like a total mess when not in the right mood. The sound effects and overproduction do them a disservice quite often methinks.  
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 17:58
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I 'don't get' and all IMHO -

-Any Soft Machine album
-Most Canterbury bands (esp. Caravan, Matching Mole, National Health)
-Robert Wyatt in general does nothing for me (Rock Bottom has to be one of the most overrated prog rock albums of all-time)
-Most Neo-Progressive bands with the exception of Marillion and IQ
-Magma (horrible, horrible band)
-The whole RIO movement (noise pollution to my ears)
-Roxy Music
-Hawkwind
-Eloy (such hideous vocals that butcher the English language)
-Steve Hillage
-Gong
-Steven Wilson in general, although I do like some of Porcupine Tree albums
-I can tolerate some progressive metal like Fates Warning and Dream Theater, but, in general this genre leaves me cold

I have a love/hate relationship with Gentle Giant and I'm starting to come around to Jethro Tull. I LOVE A Passion Play!

Shocked Oh my how things change 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 17:59

I never have liked nor understood what the big attraction was to The Mars Volta. Their music lacks clarity, structure, coherency, and, as you said, dynamics. One giant chaotic mess.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 18:02
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I 'don't get' and all IMHO -

-Any Soft Machine album
-Most Canterbury bands (esp. Caravan, Matching Mole, National Health)
-Robert Wyatt in general does nothing for me (Rock Bottom has to be one of the most overrated prog rock albums of all-time)
-Most Neo-Progressive bands with the exception of Marillion and IQ
-Magma (horrible, horrible band)
-The whole RIO movement (noise pollution to my ears)
-Roxy Music
-Hawkwind
-Eloy (such hideous vocals that butcher the English language)
-Steve Hillage
-Gong
-Steven Wilson in general, although I do like some of Porcupine Tree albums
-I can tolerate some progressive metal like Fates Warning and Dream Theater, but, in general this genre leaves me cold

I have a love/hate relationship with Gentle Giant and I'm starting to come around to Jethro Tull. I LOVE A Passion Play!

Shocked Oh my how things change 

Indeed! This was written before I gave them a real proper listen. I just listened to a few songs and thought "What the hell?" But when I got Ocean, I ripped it to one of my iPods, and put my headphones on and really enjoyed the music much more.

Since writing this, I have more of a admiration for Gentle Giant than before and I'm definitely not coming around to Jethro Tull. Just can't get into them and the only part I actually liked in A Passion Play were the Forest Dance I & II sections. That's about it!

Edited by Mirror Image - August 24 2014 at 18:04
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 18:11
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

I know what you mean. They can sound like a total mess when not in the right mood. The sound effects and overproduction do them a disservice quite often methinks.  
Feels I know. There's a distinct mismatch between the intensity of the band and the vocals/lyrics that make the whole thing seem hammy in a bad way. I blamed it all on Cedric for a while, but it just doesn't seem like the band is always creatively in sync with each other.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 21:43

Don't know how I missed this one, but I agree completely. This was a band that I felt "obligated" to be into since I'm a huge progressive rock connoisseur, but they just never clicked for the reasons you've mentioned here.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 02:30
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Don't know how I missed this one, but I agree completely. This was a band that I felt "obligated" to be into since I'm a huge progressive rock connoisseur, but they just never clicked for the reasons you've mentioned here.

I feel a little bit the same but Amputecture seems a little more accessible to me.

Some bands are just 'difficult'. I couldn't stand Gentle Giant for a number of years is one example.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 06:27
I know that The Mars Volta aren't everyone's cup of tea, some people will have tried it and decided it's not their thing, and that's fine, but as a gigantic TMV fan...

Deloused is nearly brickwalled with compression, for sure, (Noctourniquet is worse, and several of the others aren't much better) which will always give that effect. I'd tend to blame the mix/master more than the band for that, but it is true much of their music isn't sitting in the middle of the dynamic range a lot of the time, especially on Deloused and Bedlam. Frances has plenty of range. 

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Feels I know. There's a distinct mismatch between the intensity of the band and the vocals/lyrics that make the whole thing seem hammy in a bad way. I blamed it all on Cedric for a while, but it just doesn't seem like the band is always creatively in sync with each other.

This is an interesting comment. I have no idea where you get that from, but it's interesting. Are you saying that Cedric is less intense than the rest of the band??
The creatively in sync comment is also interesting given that it's all more or less Omar's creative vision + Cedric's vocals & lyrics.

I never have liked nor understood what the big attraction was to The Mars Volta. Their music lacks clarity, structure, coherency, and, as you said, dynamics. One giant chaotic mess.

I have great difficulty seeing how anyone interested in music could not hear any dynamics at all, or any structure at all (most of their songs are verse chorus with some slightly extended section), or coherency or the like. But there you go.

-

Pawn Hearts. I love many of their other albums, but A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, now there's a 'giant chaotic mess'! Well, maybe not that bad, but still.

Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 06:36
I don't find much in neo-prog because I already have all of Genesis's albums

Edited by Luna - August 25 2014 at 06:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 09:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

I feel a little bit the same but Amputecture seems a little more accessible to me.

Some bands are just 'difficult'. I couldn't stand Gentle Giant for a number of years is one example.

I find it interesting that I can digest Gorguts Obscura without batting an eye, yet the sonic chaos of The Mars Volta just doesn't click with me.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 09:22
Most folks I know who don't enjoy TMV have a distaste for pineapple or they're left-handed. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 09:52
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Most folks I know who don't enjoy TMV have a distaste for pineapple or they're left-handed. 

I'm left-handed and I love pineapple LOL.
Old King Cole View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 10:42
There was an album by King Crimson I didn't like that much, I don't remember the name, I felt it was too repetitive for my taste.
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 12:06
Soft Machine Third, the sound quality is terrible I like moon in june but the songs are just ok.
Amon Dull 2 Yeti, I kind of like it there are a couple really good songs, but the long songs like Yeti (imporvisation) seem like one long filler.
Eloy Oceans, fantastic intrumental stuff, but I get really turned off when he starts singing.
Hatfield & The North debut, I kind of like I just don't think its great
any of Third Ear Bands stuff, I just don't get it.

I really want to like these albums. I hate it when theres a classic prog album I don't like.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 13:11
Darkspace is another band that I should be into, but I'm not. I guess I never found their atmosphere as evocative as I thought it would. I find myself a little underwhelmed.

Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

This is an interesting comment. I have no idea where you get that from, but it's interesting. Are you saying that Cedric is less intense than the rest of the band??
The creatively in sync comment is also interesting given that it's all more or less Omar's creative vision + Cedric's vocals & lyrics.
8 months later...

In inverse order of intensity: Cedrics lyrics (the five syllable words tend not to translate intensity well) < Cedrics vocals (I find myself wanting the punk shouts of At the Drive-in pretty often, especially when they tune his vocals to a crisp; he had some of this on Deloused, not as much on later albums) < the music

Deloused more or less feels right to me. It just feels they lost something as they went on. Especially as they tuned and doctored Cedric vocals more and more.

Plus, I find their ballads a little formulaic. I like Deloused but just find the rest of the albums not as creatively refreshing.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 18:21
King Crimson - LTIA (Only liked Pt. 1)
VdGG - Godbluff (H to He and Pawn Hearts are much better)
Genesis - TLLDOB, ATTOT, W&W (I found them OK, but not anything special at all)
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 15:31
Albums:
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three
Focus - Moving Waves

Bands:
Hawkwind, Magma, Asia and Marillion

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 01:54
Originally posted by Old King Cole Old King Cole wrote:

There was an album by King Crimson I didn't like that much, I don't remember the name, I felt it was too repetitive for my taste.

Beat I suspect

I'm supposed to like Discipline but its like nails on chalkboard to my ears. I have a real problem with this minimalistic approach but Fripp is a genius yadda yadda..
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 12:47
Albums

IQ - Subterranea (double concept from a band I love what could go wrong)
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (popular no1 smash that sounds to me like they are making it up as they go along
VDGG - Godbluff - love so much of their stuff - Pawn Hearts being a top 10 - but Godbluff is just a so-so album for me...

Bands 

king Crimson - I've tried so hard and now have just thrown the towel in...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>