Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tull APP/Chateau D'Isaster Steven Wilson Release
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull APP/Chateau D'Isaster Steven Wilson Release

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tull APP/Chateau D'Isaster Steven Wilson Release
    Posted: July 09 2014 at 02:26
As no-one responded to this below in another section...I'd thought I would repost this here as I am sure some of you out there are interested in this.

My copy of this arrived 6 days ago. Have only listened to the Chateau sessions. 

Steven Wilson has really done a fantastic job with this. 

There is a significant amount of new content with the tracks put in the correct order as they were meant to be.

Wilson has stripped down the over produced 20 years (3 tracks) as well as the Night Cap edition and the sound is so intimate and crystal clear that you think that Tull recorded this in 2014 and not  September 1972.

Even "Skating Away..." and "Only Solitaire" from Warchild have a different feel to them. It's quite amazing how over produced the Warchild  "Skating Away..." Is compared to this original recording.

And the 1993 overdubs, particularly the flute have been completely taken out and it's so much better. It may not have pleased Anderson much as a great proportion of the instrumentals are devoid of his input, with Barre, Evan, Hammond-Hammond and Barlow doing what they did best; they had such great chemistry in their instrumentals.

I haven't listened to the new mix of APP yet but what Steven Wilson has done to the Chateau tapes is truly brilliant.

Highly recommended.

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 10:31
I had no idea this was going to be remastered. I'm not sure If i would buy it again for the striped down Chateau D'Isaster, but it sounds interesting.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 10:38
I will be getting this.  The only reason I don't have it yet is my birthday is next week, and someone might have already gotten it for me.

Maybe somebody in this room.

Edited by HolyMoly - July 09 2014 at 10:38
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 10:41
My copy is on its way.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 21:51
Very tempting but I will resist.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 23:31
The Chateau tape is pretty excellent indeed.

I have no desire to listen to Wilson's APP though.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 00:20
Will definitely be getting this, at some point. Thumbs Up
Ludjak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 06:28
Got it last week or so and I'm positively surprised. The Château tapes alone are nearly worth the price (although they feature considerably less flute than heard on Nightcap, some of the original saxophone overdubs have been restored, and all that dreadful 90s digital reverb and compression are gone - plus, it's in the original intended order, so it more or less flows like three sides of the double album that it could have become).

Bearing in mind that I never liked the original mix of A Passion Play (I find it terribly messy and over-arranged/overproduced), I think Steven Wilson's take on the album is amazing. The arrangments are very clear, some of the superfluous overdubs have been either removed or more balanced out (Martin Barre's guitar is actually audible throughout the record and doesn't sound as 'tinny' as it sounded on the original album), making this remix finally do justice to what is, for me, a really good piece of music.

I read somewhere that Wilson is doing Tull's War Child next, along with Gentle Giant's The Power and the Glory. While not that crazy about post-Passion Play Tull in general, I'm really looking forward to his remix of GG. ^^

Edited by Ludjak - July 14 2014 at 06:29
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 09:06
Major question: is The Tale of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles a separate track on this edition? I don't mind me some Passion Play but that dang Hare ruins the flow for me every time!
Crimson_King View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 03:15

WOW!

Mr. Ludjak!

you know what?

I agree almost entirely with your judgment of the "original" PP......"over-produced", "muddled" etc. etc.

If the Steven Wilson version is really THAT good, I'll be using PayPal soon, that's for sure. lol

P.S.....Honestly, I think that the Chateau D'Isaster tracks are EVEN BETTER than APP itself.......

Esp. "Left Right" (the VERY BEST song ever recorded and not released by the band), "Sailor", "Scenario", "Audition, "No Rehearsal", and "Saturation" (the 2nd BEST song recorded by JT)

...........dig?

Edited by Crimson_King - July 27 2014 at 03:16
"Naked we come, bruised we go...Nude pastry for the slow soft worms below" ---James D. Morrison; "Throw out yer gold teeth & see how they roll...the answer they reveal: Life is Unreal" ---Steely Dan
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 03:59
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Very tempting but I will resist.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 08:23
Superb remix. The 5.1 is awesome. In particular, you can really enjoy the parts John Evan and Barrie Barlow played in the sessions.

I also appreciate the stripped down aspects of Chateau D'Isaster. It was a much harder rock album in many aspects than what APP turned out to be.

Certainly the best remix Steven Wilson has done for Tull, and one of the best releases of the year.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 08:45
Ordered it yesterday. Can't wait to hear it!
Ludjak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 09:41
Originally posted by Crimson_King Crimson_King wrote:

WOW!

Mr. Ludjak!

you know what?

I agree almost entirely with your judgment of the "original" PP......"over-produced", "muddled" etc. etc.

If the Steven Wilson version is really THAT good, I'll be using PayPal soon, that's for sure. lol

P.S.....Honestly, I think that the Chateau D'Isaster tracks are EVEN BETTER than APP itself.......

Esp. "Left Right" (the VERY BEST song ever recorded and not released by the band), "Sailor", "Scenario", "Audition, "No Rehearsal", and "Saturation" (the 2nd BEST song recorded by JT)

...........dig?

I really recommend you check it out, it's excellent imho, both the remix of the original album and the Château sessions. A real treat. Smile

"Saturation" is not featured in this set, though, I think it was recorded in '74, and not for the Passion Play album. I love that tune, easily tops most of the stuff on War Child for me.

@Warthur - "The Hare" is tracked as a separate track, actually the whole album is divided into fifteen edits which flow together uniterrupted, but give one the opportunity to skip forward to a desired section.

Edited by Ludjak - August 05 2014 at 09:44
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 09:59
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Major question: is The Tale of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles a separate track on this edition? I don't mind me some Passion Play but that dang Hare ruins the flow for me every time!
What he said.
 Post Reply Post Reply