Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRyan Jackson Troika (US) - Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryan Jackson Troika (US) - Crossover
    Posted: July 09 2014 at 15:30

Ryan Jackson Troika is a heavy rock/progressive band from Boston. Originally the solo output of guitarist and singer Ryan Jackson, as his songwriting senses expanded he began playing with a variety of local musicians before settling on the permanent lineup of Ryan on guitar and lead vocals, Derek Van Wormer on bass, Chris Anderson on drums and Peter Danilchuk on keyboards and backing vocals.

Ryan's 2009 solo album "Out of Nothingness" features guitar-based songwriting with colorful production touches, while 2013's "Plethora" features a full rock band sound with heavy riffs, powerful grooves, and moments of spacious ambience as well.

Both albums are available on Bandcamp as well as hard copy: 

The band's full lineup formed during production of "Plethora" and the quartet is now assembling material for their next full-length album, featuring an even heavier sound and more electronic elements, without losing the full-band feel of their live show.

Some videos:

1. "The Hand that Feeds Us All" from 3/10/2014 at the Hard Rock Cafe in Boston, opening for The Security Project (feat. Jerry Marotta, Trey Gunn, et al)

2. "Waiter" live on WMFO Tufts University Radio from 6/11/2014

3. Music video for "Sink Piles," the lead single from "Plethora"

Facebook page

Here's a picture from the finale of their set on 5/23/2014 opening for PERHAPS and ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE at the Middle East in Cambridge, MA

Edited by puma - July 11 2014 at 09:02
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 18:08
I might say Crossover would be a better fit for them. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 19:18
Yep - pretty decent suggestion in my book. Approve Enjoying the Hell out of 'Plethora' right now.   But as Greg has pointed out above - the Heavy Prog aspects may not be sufficiently pronounced or sustained over the course of the whole album to get the band accepted in that particular sub - I'm pretty sure that the Crossover boys would find 'em a good home though. Cool
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 15:38
Probably agree - could you change the title to "Crossover" please?
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:02
Done! 
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:58
Any word on adding this to Crossover? We just posted a new video from our radio session last month! It's got a heavier vibe than some of the stuff from Plethora. I'd love to hear what Prog Archives thinks!

"Born Again" - Ryan Jackson Troika
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 09:44
Hi Prog Archives,

We have recently begun work on our new full-length and this is the first single off of it! We hope you like the sound and see this as a suitable addition to the Crossover team.

Ryan Jackson Troika - "See Greasy Man"

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 17:03
No team has picked this suggestion up thus far: They were added to progfreak by the suggester back in July: http://progfreak.com/Ryan-Jackson-Troika-159372.html, but no PA tab exists as yet.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 09:16
It must have been an oversight.
Added now to the crossover chart.

And good luck to you guys.
Despite the reputation of Boston as a college town, it's a difficult place for interesting bands to get a foothold.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 14:03
Thank you! As a matter of fact we've found Boston to be a really great place with a thriving progressive/art rock scene. It's been a great place to play challenging music.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 16:53
The bad news is that the Crossover team rejected this band with two 'no' votes at a time when I believe they were just a four-man team: http://progfreak.com/Ryan-Jackson-Troika-159372.html?path=pa/crossover_prog. There are two current team members who haven't yet had a chance to vote though, and a 'yes' from both of these would turn the outcome around. Just wondering if it would be permissible for the suggestion to be returned to the 'new' chart on progfreak so that the remaining members of the current team could deposit their votes on the bar at the 'last chance saloon'... ?? Embarrassed
kev rowland View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 17:18
yam yam - as this band has been rejected before, it would now need to be treated as a controversial artist and get five clear 'Yes' votes. Without any new material since the last set of voting, there isn't any reason to re-evaluate, and given that Thomas and myself both said 'No' previously, they wouldn't get passed. Sorry
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:09
Thanks Kev.

I wasn't really looking at a fresh evaluation - I was just wondering if it would be possible to finish off the previous one now that the team is back up to strength as a five-man outfit? A similar situation occurred with TheRoom just before I joined the team to make it five again. This band was rejected by the existing four-man Crossover team with just one 'yes' and one 'no' vote, but I thought this was a bit harsh. Olav agreed, and one of the band members even contacted me on progfreak asking for an explanation as to why they had been rejected when reaction to the album in the prog press elsewhere had been so positive. There was no fresh material or a new evaluation as such - Olav simply added them back into the chart and I added my 'yes' vote to the others. Chris had a change of heart too in the end, and they were thus finally cleared with three straight 'yes' votes. Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply