Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Listening to well known Prog or new unknown stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListening to well known Prog or new unknown stuff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listening to well known Prog or new unknown stuff
    Posted: July 10 2014 at 06:51
For me it seems to go in periods, rather long periods actually. For some periods I am not really attracted to listening to new stuff and I just enjoy listening to music I know I love. Then there may come a period where I am curious to listen to new stuff and I prefer discovering new things than listening to my well-known albums.

Currently I am in a period where I do not feel much like discovering new stuff, I simply enjoy playing albums which I know very well and I know I like.
It's fine but I hope that a new "discovering period" will come again soon. It's weird, I realise that discovering new music is great, and yet right now I have no drive for it, when it comes to playing a CD I choose for a well-known album rather than trying some CD's I have not yet listened to, or I have but I do not know well.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 06:58
I have been feeling more like discovering new stuff during the last years. But now and then I'd like to hear some old familiar 70's prog.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 08:00
I'm constantly discovering "new stuff", but only a very small percentage of it is prog.  Typically, when I'm in the mood to hear prog, I'll go to the old standbys.  But there are exceptions, and the occasional new prog band can be really exciting.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 08:44
PA lists over 44,000 albums.  That's an average of almost a thousand albums per year over the 45 years since 1969 (yes yes, I know...1968, 1967 etc etc) That's more than two albums a day, every day, for forty five years.  

Assuming we never have a day off, what are the chances of anyone bothering to listening to two new albums every day for fortyfive days let alone fortyfive years?  Professional music journalists aside, I doubt anyone would do that.

I much prefer to listen to old prog that I haven't yet heard - if I may generalise and say "those were the days" then I'll chose to explore the pre-1976 era forever thanks very much.  If I myself have yet to hear a well-known album then I don't care how well-known it is - it's new to me.  I've still only heard two studio albums by ELP,  two by King Crimson, four by Yes, and six by Jethro Tull.  I've heard plenty more songs by these bands, but not the entire albums
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Gino 1959 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 09:04
I love discovering new prog bands just like http://machinesdream.aurovine.com/

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 10:21
It's funny, the fashion that how our minds work. At times I may be anxious to get out of the house, then I wonder how I can feel that way when the day before I was so happy to get home. What changed? I've thought of it as a nice subject for a song lyric, if I were any good at writing lyrics. I've been spending lots of money on guitar effects devices, so I've been very slow at keeping up with new stuff for quite some time.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 17:44
^ I'd like to hear that song. The character could be someone like Janus or a werewolf ... except he isn't any of those things. You get the idea. Having a change of heart.

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

For me it seems to go in periods, rather long periods actually. For some periods I am not really attracted to listening to new stuff and I just enjoy listening to music I know I love. Then there may come a period where I am curious to listen to new stuff and I prefer discovering new things than listening to my well-known albums.

Currently I am in a period where I do not feel much like discovering new stuff, I simply enjoy playing albums which I know very well and I know I like.
It's fine but I hope that a new "discovering period" will come again soon. It's weird, I realise that discovering new music is great, and yet right now I have no drive for it, when it comes to playing a CD I choose for a well-known album rather than trying some CD's I have not yet listened to, or I have but I do not know well.

Exactly the same attitude here. Right now I feel like I need to open up a bit once again, go for something less diverse in style (even the music I write is very eclectic, and I need to take a break from that). I'm going for punk/-rock and jazz, something from 'Trane or akin to his sax-playing style. Enough Genesis and Gentle Giant for now.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 10 2014 at 17:47
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 23:55
Old unknown stuff and completing discography for me the last couple of years but also checking out new stuff by old favorites (Oldfield, IQ, I.Anderson) and , of course, listening to a few classics each week.. So, discovering a lot but not much from recent bands.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 00:05
I always have my ears open for new sounds from bands I haven't heard before, but it seems like I'm much more interested in exploring music of bands I already know and love. For me, there are so many albums that never wear out their welcome and that will reward the listener time and time again.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 00:48
It depends what 'new stuff' means. There is a lot of new old stuff out there (ie ''retro'').  I would like new stuff as long as they understand that prog is ELP, Yes and Genesis.Wink
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 00:52
So many of the old classics are still new to me, so I've been listening to a lot more older music, but recently I've been trying to be more conscious than I have been of what good stuff is coming out so I'm not too far out of the loop. I like new music too, but most of it is not really prog.
tawny ant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 07:15
I try to listen to as much as possible, knowing that you can't always define a band's sound by the first cut you hear. Crate delving is still more satisfying than staying on the cutting edge, though, since a lot of new prog-rock seems to happen in the spheres of post-rock or DT-like prog metal, which repel me, or simply be alternative rock dressed up in the trappings of pseudo-profundity and extended play length.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 08:26
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It depends what 'new stuff' means. There is a lot of new old stuff out there (ie ''retro'').  I would like new stuff as long as they understand that prog is ELP, Yes and Genesis.Wink
Well in the OP by "new unknown stuff" I was meaning simply unknown, even if it's something from the 1970's which you have never heard yet, so "new to you" even if not actually new.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 22:26
nowadays,  I get tired of most songs after 10 listens.  

Always hearing more new stuff.  I'd rather listen to a new album and be disappointed, than listen to an old favorite, because the latter is certainly disappointing, while the former has a chance of being good.
admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 23:08
Been listening to UNKLE. not exactly prog, but amazing!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 00:46
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

I'd rather listen to a new album and be disappointed, than listen to an old favorite, because the latter is certainly disappointing
That's odd for a progger
Watcher of the Sky View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 00:57
I'm always looking for new albums to hear, but as a prog fan, I always listen to the old 70's classic albums.

I was looking a good unknow Symphonic Prog Rock from 2000's, would be nice if someone recommend something :D
Nous sommes du soleil
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 02:26
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Well in the OP by "new unknown stuff" I was meaning simply unknown, even if it's something from the 1970's which you have never heard yet, so "new to you" even if not actually new.

Ok that's good. There is tons of RPI I don't know I've only dipped my toes mainly with PFM and that's it apart from one album each by Banco and Le Orme (and the relatively new band Three Monks who are classed as RPI)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 08:19
I'm probably split equally between old stuff I know well, old stuff that is new to me and new stuff. I pretty much buy a mix of old and new stuff. My moods vary & I just put on what I'm in the mood for.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 08:24
I am all over the map. I have periods of everything between prog early and modern, obscure 70s live albums to jazz binges to IDM and electronica to post metal to whatevs.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>