Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 14:09
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Me neither.

I like jazz, electronica, funk, post-punk, rock and psych rock equally much. It's just down to the given day. Today I was in a 'pop' mood, although Animal Collective and Liars don't necessarily play the pop one gets to hear on the radio.
If the music s'got some fire in it's tummy, then I'll listen to it, prog included.

I come here 'cos I like a lot of the music on this site and related music.  But, I like all the stuff you mention and more.  I like to think I just like good music -but I'm not even sure that's true. Big smile
Help me I'm falling!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 14:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

No boundaries
Keyboards! 
Drummers who don't just 'keep time'
Abstract lyrics ( I don't see why lyrics have to be meaningful but anyway there is Peter Gabriel covering that base)
Great and varied atmospheres
Unpredictabilty ( ie The Mars Volta)
Light and dark contrast which you don't find much in any forms of music other than prog
ESCAPISM! (reality is overrated)
Good observation Richard, especially on escapism, and I do appreciate abstract lyrics, just not all the time.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 14:13
^^I come here for the women.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 10 2014 at 14:14
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 14:14
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

^Me neither.

I like jazz, electronica, funk, post-punk, rock and psych rock equally much. It's just down to the given day. Today I was in a 'pop' mood, although Animal Collective and Liars don't necessarily play the pop one gets to hear on the radio.
If the music s'got some fire in it's tummy, then I'll listen to it, prog included.
I come here 'cos I like a lot of the music on this site and related music.  But, I like all the stuff you mention and more.  I like to think I just like good music -but I'm not even sure that's true. Big smile
Sounds like a concrete truth to me (I think).

Edited by SteveG - July 10 2014 at 14:14
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 14:15

God, You must be so lonely.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 14:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

LOL
Help me I'm falling!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 14:25

Luckily only when I choose to

Getting back on track: I think I dig prog because it assumes that music can be pushed and eschewed. Something that every other musical genre since then has adopted.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 14:34

Luckily only when I choose to

Getting back on track: I think I dig prog because it assumes that music can be pushed and eschewed. Something that every other musical genre since then has adopted.
I'm not trying to split hairs David, but I think it was formulaic genres like grunge rock that helped to push me back into prog after I stepped out for awhile.

Edited by SteveG - July 10 2014 at 14:34
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 14:40
That's understandable. Grunge was mostly terrible, although it spawned a few decent acts, that to these ears only were grunge because of what they wore and how they performed live (Pearl Jam springs to mind).

I never knew what prog was until I found this site, although I had been listening to it most of my life.

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 14:52
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Omg where do I start? Is this a serious thread?
Serious as a heart attack, so how fast can you type?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 17:01
Real, sincere emotion!

Mind blowing technique

Off the beaten track lyrics and instrumental structure

The only thing I prefer more than prog is The Symphony, and that is no faint praise coming from me!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 17:53
For me there are only two types of music. Music to dance to, which is mainly simple in composition, with a catchy tune and a nice dance beat, and music to listen to, which is written with more complexity, and has a deeper meaning. Prog is indeed in the second category, which makes it ideal for me, since I prefer to listen to a piece of music and absorb myself in it, than just to dance to a beat.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 18:03

We are all into Prog music and I would think it's first choice for many PA members over other genres with other members viewing Prog as viable alongside other rock  and music forms (I am one of those), but what is it about Prog music that you particularly like so much, be it the concepts, musicianship, deeper meanings behind music and lyrics or whatever that you may personally appreciate and perhaps feel that other music genres may lack. If you are into other genres equally and have no preference, then shout it out.
I think it would be inaccurate to say that I prefer prog over other musical styles. I certainly listen to it a whole lot, but I try to treat all genres impartially.

Why do I listen to so much prog? Because prog is a special animal. It's big. It's fun for everyone. It's beyond words, really, no matter how much we discuss it. It satisfies nearly all sorts of folks: those who want the marriage of melody and simple songwriting, those who want showmanship, etc. I want prog because it offers these things:

1) Insanity on all levels, be that composition techniques, virtuosity, or experimentation. I love rhythmic and sonic assaults. That's the wild side of prog.
2) The diversity of genres absorbed (so it can satisfy a lot of people, especially me, who enjoys eclecticism). That's the open-minded side of prog.
3) The people who make this kind of music are really good with creating atmospheres. I may not know much about you as an individual or a musician from an atmosphere, but it's a start.

Pretty much anything goes. On an additional note, I love the music I love because 

4) it's not the unimaginative and impersonal drivel I hear on the radio and in the mall near me. Also ... 

5)
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Real, sincere emotion!
I should never forget that part.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 10 2014 at 18:05
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 19:31
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I don't hold prog in preference over other genres. I like the prog artists I like for the same reason I like the non-prog artists I like. They created art that succeeded in moving me. 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 20:45
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Progressive music is made by people who like music. Tongue
I like progressive music because of that depth and effort that is heard in so many bands. Whether it's emotional depth, lyrical depth, or musical depth, i just like the idea of someone trying to make music that has the listener really experience something. 
I think in general i like music that appeals to all parts of us, mind, body and soul (whatever that is). 

...word...

+2
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 21:29
Most of all, I like prog because it has more music and melody, and develops it further, and I find it more beautiful because of it. Also, because it doesn't stick to conventions and prog artists are not afraid to do what they want to even if the norms of pop music say it's not right or it's not good for marketing.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 21:59
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I have never understood why prog lyrics get such a bad rap. Sure there are some prog lyrics out there that talk about dragons and fairies and elves dancing in the woods. Lyrics that sound like they could have been copied straight from the D&D Dungeon Master's Guide. But then there are also the Neil Pearts, the Roger Waters, the Peter Hammills and the Derek Dicks of the prog lyric community. Those who write intelligent, non-cheesy and relevant lyrics. In fact, being a lyric afficianado when I was a teen, lyrics is one of the things that got me into prog in the first place.

Now, there are some fine non-prog lyricists as well, Dylan, Simon and Stipe come to mind, but, a couple of modern pop songs reveal that bad lyrics are not the exclusive property of the prog world. They play this stuff on the radio here at work, which sometimes I'm exposed to when I don't have my own CD playing. "We're up all night to get some, we're up all night to get lucky." - Such hard-hitting, relevant stuff there. Or how about "How does it sound if we spend the night out?" repeated ad nauseam. I could find a two year old on the street who could write more insightful lyrics.

Ohh boy...spot on for sure! I also am not keen on the slamming prog lyrics get, I just think it is part of the whole progressive genre, prog lyrics. I am not a Dylan listener, never have been....Main reason is his voice is horrid IMO!!!! I can't deal with that twangy/country jawl he does. Maybe his lyrics are excellent, but the excecution and vocal delivery ughh. Same with Springsteen for me....

I listen to prog for musician qualities, the layering, transitions, rhythm changes and yes long songs. I have always been a fan of instrumentals too...I don't think today's pop/rock artists could record an instrumental.

I'm with you too. Even if they are going to be Dungeon&Dragons lyrics (and I don't even recall so many songs, even less albums, with such lyrics), they don't really bother me so much (well, actually I like medieval and fantasy things, so no wonder there). The thing is, in pop what you find the most are love songs, or broken hearts songs is more likely, or just going to party nonsense. Prog goes on a wider variaty of topics, some may be good and others not. Besides, prog being one of the main genres for concept albums, and concept albums being rather well apreciated, one would think people (at least proggers) would consider prog lyrics rather on the good side of the spectrum.
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 01:43
lol @ Neil Peart (and Roger Waters, for that matter) in the same sentence as Peter Hammil

Prog is better than most music because it has more content (structurally, harmonically, melodically, rhythmically, dynamically, etc.). Classical has more of all of that, but it can't 'rock'. Prog at its best has some of the appeals of both classical and rock at once.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 01:44

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Nice idea for a thread certainly. For me I love the command of Prog musicians with their ability to assimilate disparate musical styles into a seamless whole with apparent ease. (though I'm sure it's far from easy)
Problem is, the genre is populated by long winded instrumentalists who can't string two words together. Maybe Dylan/Ridgway/Cole/Costello/Verlaine/Smith plus Prog would have been the perfect marriage of competing disciplines?
I agree whole heartily Iain, I love the complex music of Prog but I have to go elsewhere to to find satisfying lyrics.
You have mentioned almost all the non-prog artist who I'm used to like 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 01:50
Originally posted by Altairius Altairius wrote:

lol @ Neil Peart (and Roger Waters, for that matter) in the same sentence as Peter Hammill.
What's the matter?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>