Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 04:22
Originally posted by Altairius Altairius wrote:

lol @ Neil Peart (and Roger Waters, for that matter) in the same sentence as Peter Hammil

Prog is better than most music because it has more content (structurally, harmonically, melodically, rhythmically, dynamically, etc.). Classical has more of all of that, but it can't 'rock'. Prog at its best has some of the appeals of both classical and rock at once.
That's why I as a classically educated musician admire classical music but prefer listening to prog. It incorporates so many strong points of different genres. Classical sense in elaborate arrangement combined with rock's deep emotional impact works best for me. 

What I also like is prog's special sound. Especially in symphonic prog. I like accoustic and electronic instruments, old and new instruments, standard rock instruments, array of keybords and unusual instruments ... 

Deeper meaning lyrics are welcome but good music alone can speak to me. 

terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 04:24
Let's not forget another aspect: beautiful album covers!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 06:32
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I don't.

Nor do I.

I don't define the music I prefer by genre alone, nor can I honestly say I prefer one genre over another. If it hits the pleasure-centre of my brain then I'm going to be happy regardless of the genre of music it is. I don't sit here counting the number of beats in a bar, analysing the degree of complexity in the composition or marvelling at the dexterity and skill of the performers; I listen to music for the emotional responses it creates - and for some Prog is as sterile and un-emotive as an Open University lecture about 17th century crop-rotation on the Somerset Levels while others can get the James May "fizz in the nether regions" at the merest mention of a new release by their favourite artist (for me that could be Pink Floyd, The Enid, PoS, Opeth, Philip Glass, Siouxsie Soiux, The Cure or Fields of the Nephilim for example - it's genre-non-specific). I am unmoved by Jazz (to be pedantic, I am moved to switch it off) and that shares many of the characteristics that most applaud in Progressive Rock - for all it's technical, compositional, structural and other musicological similarities with Progressive Rock, Jazz remains outside the pleasure zone for me.

I spend a lot of time here because there is more to talk about in the field of Progressive Rock, (my interest is mainly in the history and the modern perception of that history, but it's not limited to that either), this is because what we currently regard as Progressive Rock is broad (but not necessarily very deep) and impinges on other areas of music that also interest people, such as jazz-fusion, folk, psych, metal, electronic and avant garde (however, NOT classical).

But very little of that talking ever seems to be about the music - sure we have endless debates about "what is Prog", tiresome "X is better than Y" discussions, the perennial "who invented Prog" arguments and the countless "X is/is not Prog" bickering and they never resolve so are doomed to repeat ad infinitum. But when we start to talk about the music it all falls apart, or takes the path of least resistance and/or results in a round of self-congratulation, patting ourselves on the back for liking music that we believe is more erudite and more worthy than those we regard as lesser forms of music (like Pop or Grunge or R&B). 

In that respect Prog fans have a lot in common with Audiophilists - we all know what it is when we hear it but we cannot express that empirically and when we make any attempt to rationalise it we fail ... miserably (in the ten years of this forum's existence we have never produced a universally agreed answer to any question regarding Progressive Rock and we have [not] produced a robust definition of "what Prog is" - we cannot even reach a consensus on ItCotCK). Like those who make bold claims about a piece of esoteric hardware that plays no integral role in the performance of an audio system we attempt elevate the music we like to something it is not in order to validate the buzz we get from listening to it. I see no need for this: like what you like without justification or validation.

/edit silly typo corrected.

Edited by Dean - July 11 2014 at 09:11
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 07:21
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I don't.

Nor do I.

I don't define the music I prefer by genre alone, nor can I honestly say I prefer one genre over another. If it hits the pleasure-centre of my brain then I'm going to be happy regardless of the genre of music it is. I don't sit here counting the number of beats in a bar, analysing the degree of complexity in the composition or marvelling at the dexterity and skill of the performers; I listen to music for the emotional responses it creates - and for some Prog is as sterile and un-emotive as an Open University lecture about 17th century crop-rotation on the Somerset Levels while others can get the James May "fizz in the nether regions" at the merest mention of a new release by their favourite artist (for me that could be Pink Floyd, The Enid, PoS, Opeth, Philip Glass, Siouxsie Soiux, The Cure or Fields of the Nephilim for example - it's genre-non-specific). I am unmoved by Jazz (to be pedantic, I am moved to switch it off) and that shares many of the characteristics that most applaud in Progressive Rock - for all it's technical, compositional, structural and other musicological similarities with Progressive Rock, Jazz remains outside the pleasure zone for me.

I spend a lot of time here because there is more to talk about in the field of Progressive Rock, (my interest is mainly in the history and the modern perception of that history, but it's not limited to that either), this is because what we currently regard as Progressive Rock is broad (but not necessarily very deep) and impinges on other areas of music that also interest people, such as jazz-fusion, folk, psych, metal, electronic and avant garde (however, NOT classical).

But very little of that talking ever seems to be about the music - sure we have endless debates about "what is Prog", tiresome "X is better than Y" discussions, the perennial "who invented Prog" arguments and the countless "X is/is not Prog" bickering and they never resolve so are doomed to repeat ad infinitum. But when we start to talk about the music it all falls apart, or takes the path of least resistance and/or results in a round of self-congratulation, patting ourselves on the back for liking music that we believe is more erudite and more worthy than those we regard as lesser forms of music (like Pop or Grunge or R&B). 

In that respect Prog fans have a lot in common with Audiophilists - we all know what it is when we hear it but we cannot express that empirically and when we make any attempt to rationalise it we fail ... miserably (in the ten years of this forum's existence we have never produced a universally agreed answer to any question regarding Progressive Rock and we have produced a robust definition of "what Prog is" - we cannot even reach a consensus on ItCotCK). Like those who make bold claims about a piece of esoteric hardware that plays no integral role in the performance of an audio system we attempt elevate the music we like to something it is not in order to validate the buzz we get from listening to it. I see no need for this: like what you like without justification or validation.

Routinely erudite post  by the Deanster which no kitten loving and sane carbon based life-form could have any issues with

BUT

elevating the music we like to something it is not is not the reason we require to validate the buzz/pleasure we get from listening to it. That's like saying that the pleasure afforded by thirst being sated is equivalent to the aesthetic pleasure afforded by a piece of art  I'm a rodent yes, but both our aesthetic capabilities are a damn sight more sophisticated than mere 'pleasure centers'. Is pizza the oven ready Beethoven for a guilt based aesthetic? The dehydrated man does not reject the Perrier in favour of the Mount Franklin brand. I'm not having a go at you here Dean but if pleasure was the sole measure of value then no-one ever born would have gotten out of bed to create anything.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 07:25
Prog is the music which when I imagine myself being the musicians playing it gives me most fun and enjoyment, I envy them so badly. No genre is more fun to airplaying than Prog. 
And within my limited capabilities as a player, when I manage to play some Prog songs I enjoy it enormously, it's so much more fun to play than anything else.

Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 07:35
Because it is better.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 08:17
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I have never understood why prog lyrics get such a bad rap. Sure there are some prog lyrics out there that talk about dragons and fairies and elves dancing in the woods. Lyrics that sound like they could have been copied straight from the D&D Dungeon Master's Guide. But then there are also the Neil Pearts, the Roger Waters, the Peter Hammills and the Derek Dicks of the prog lyric community. Those who write intelligent, non-cheesy and relevant lyrics. In fact, being a lyric afficianado when I was a teen, lyrics is one of the things that got me into prog in the first place.

Now, there are some fine non-prog lyricists as well, Dylan, Simon and Stipe come to mind, but, a couple of modern pop songs reveal that bad lyrics are not the exclusive property of the prog world. They play this stuff on the radio here at work, which sometimes I'm exposed to when I don't have my own CD playing. "We're up all night to get some, we're up all night to get lucky." - Such hard-hitting, relevant stuff there. Or how about "How does it sound if we spend the night out?" repeated ad nauseam. I could find a two year old on the street who could write more insightful lyrics.

Ohh boy...spot on for sure! I also am not keen on the slamming prog lyrics get, I just think it is part of the whole progressive genre, prog lyrics. I am not a Dylan listener, never have been....Main reason is his voice is horrid IMO!!!! I can't deal with that twangy/country jawl he does. Maybe his lyrics are excellent, but the excecution and vocal delivery ughh. Same with Springsteen for me....

I listen to prog for musician qualities, the layering, transitions, rhythm changes and yes long songs. I have always been a fan of instrumentals too...I don't think today's pop/rock artists could record an instrumental.

I'm with you too. Even if they are going to be Dungeon&Dragons lyrics (and I don't even recall so many songs, even less albums, with such lyrics), they don't really bother me so much (well, actually I like medieval and fantasy things, so no wonder there). The thing is, in pop what you find the most are love songs, or broken hearts songs is more likely, or just going to party nonsense. Prog goes on a wider variaty of topics, some may be good and others not. Besides, prog being one of the main genres for concept albums, and concept albums being rather well apreciated, one would think people (at least proggers) would consider prog lyrics rather on the good side of the spectrum.
There always seems to be some inner debate in threads that's a bit off the topic and this particuar  one is about the quality of Prog lyrics as they have gotten a bad rap over the years, but I have to state emphatically that singer songwriter's lyrics outside of Prog are generally better because it's their sole forte. They do it better because in most cases, these artists performed with  with only minimal acompaniment and had nothing musically to hide behind. Frankly, they are experts on lyrics and their topics cover a lot more than just 'boy meets girls, boy looses girl'. There are no Prog lyrics, IMO, that can equal the lyrics to an old Phil Ochs song written in 1965 titled Crucifixion which is an allagory between the deaths of Christ and the assasination of JFK.  I understand that most people in PA will never hear this song or similiar songs so cannot make comparisons, but I think that lack of comparisons is what's at  the heart of this issue, at least for some members.

Edited by SteveG - July 11 2014 at 09:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 08:28
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Progressive rock, especially from the 1970’s is my favorite genre simply because it moves me the most.    I would also include Magma as being progressive rock.

For me, some of the best lyrics out of any band or genre emerge from Yes.   Or maybe Magma- if I knew what the hell they were singing about.

So you rate lyrics highly that you are unable to understand which means reductio ad absurdum that any lyrics you are able to comprehend are therefore invalidated by dint of the flaw of  comprehensibility. What's the view like from the inside of your own backside?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 08:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

There also seems to be some inner debate in threads and this particuar  one is about the quality of Prog lyrics as they have gotten a bad rap over the years, but I have to state emphatically that singer songwriters outside of Prog are better because it's theit sole forte. They do it beter because thet have toasis most cases, these artists perform with  with only onl minimal acompniment and have nothing to hide behind.
Generally speaking I don't have anything against most Prog lyrics, they are better than most lyrics in other modern music. But besides, I am with you here, singer-songwriters are supposed to be a sort of poets who sing, modern-times troubadours, so if their lyrics are bad they basically have no reason of existence. For Prog music lyrics are not the raison d'etre, if they are good it is a welcome bonus but they are not a necessary ingredient for good Prog.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 08:44
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

There also seems to be some inner debate in threads and this particuar  one is about the quality of Prog lyrics as they have gotten a bad rap over the years, but I have to state emphatically that singer songwriters outside of Prog are better because it's theit sole forte. They do it beter because thet have toasis most cases, these artists perform with  with only onl minimal acompniment and have nothing to hide behind.
Generally speaking I don't have anything against most Prog lyrics, they are better than most lyrics in other modern music. But besides, I am with you here, singer-songwriters are supposed to be a sort of poets who sing, modern-times troubadours, so if their lyrics are bad they basically have no reason of existence. For Prog music lyrics are not the raison d'etre, if they are good it is a welcome bonus but they are not a necessary ingredient for good Prog.
I agree G, I certainly won't turn off a song from Yes' Fragile album because I can't grasp the lyrics. To me that's part of the music's appeal at times, believe it or not.

Edited by SteveG - July 11 2014 at 08:48
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 08:50
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

elevating the music we like to something it is not is not the reason we require to validate the buzz/pleasure we get from listening to it. That's like saying that the pleasure afforded by thirst being sated is equivalent to the aesthetic pleasure afforded by a piece of art  I'm a rodent yes, but both our aesthetic capabilities are a damn sight more sophisticated than mere 'pleasure centers'. Is pizza the oven ready Beethoven for a guilt based aesthetic? The dehydrated man does not reject the Perrier in favour of the Mount Franklin brand. I'm not having a go at you here Dean but if pleasure was the sole measure of value then no-one ever born would have gotten out of bed to create anything.
Indubitably true but the mode of creation is not reflected in the level of appreciation. Sure there are those who value such things but that is not what I was getting at when I talk of validation and elevating it to something it is not. Here I refer to the belief that Progressive Rock has progressed so far from its roots to be completely divorced from the genre(s) of Rock music that spawned it, that Progressive Rock should be afforded equal status with Art Music (as some but not all forms of Jazz have been) alongside Classical Music. To me this appears to be more to do with (self) aggrandisement of the listener and their esoteric musical appreciation than any concrete analysis (or understanding) of the music itself.

Aesthetics and the appreciation of beauty is defined by taste. Taste has little regard for how or why the music was created or the level of sophistication in the composition or performance - without that [taste] pizza would be merely fancy cheese on toast. [though I prefer a well made Welsh rarebit to cheese on toast and cheese on toast to pizza, but that's by-the-by, I'm just not a fan of cooked tomatoes and inedible oven-baked dough - for me pizza is a snack that has been elevated to a main meal merely by increasing its size and any satisfaction gained from it soon diminishes as the temperature drops during the course of gnawing your way across the plate - the last mouthful is seldom a pleasure]. We can all appreciate something we don't necessarily like (I appreciate Miles Davis as an innovator, musician and composer but I gain no pleasure listening to him or his music) - why I like or prefer listening something is for the pleasure I get from it and not to slake a thirst to hear it. If I were dehydrated I would not differentiate any branded bottle water from municipal tap-water ... or pond water if it were a matter of life or death, then I don't drink water for pleasure (and anyone who does is just weird).

Sure as Richard Feynman says (and I'm fond of quoting), understanding the science of a flower only adds to the aesthetic, I agree that with the aesthetic appreciation of music understanding the esoteric behind it can only add to the pleasure, it can never subtract. [well, not quite never, I'm sure I could think of many contrary examples]. But if the pleasure wasn't present beforehand then... *shrug*.

If we can analyse the aesthetic and replicate it then Prog that is "made by numbers" would be aesthetically comparable to the original yet it so often becomes a disappointing simulacrum of that which it attempts to emulate - the aesthetic of what appeals is not contained in the mechanics of 'going through the motions', but even then because of "taste" and "pleasure" there could be examples of following a well-worn template producing a more enjoyable piece of music. There are no absolutes. I've not heard sufficient Starcastle to posit that their best is more pleasurable to Yes at their worst.

Edited by Dean - July 11 2014 at 09:05
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 08:52
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

For me, some of the best lyrics out of any band or genre emerge from Yes.   Or maybe Magma- if I knew what the hell they were singing about.

You should try what many consider the first Prog album from Spain, called Musica Dispersa, it's completely sung in onomatopeic sounds (it's not in PA, it's a sort of acoustic folk-avant-garde and although the clip title says 1971 it' from 1970).

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 08:58

I agree G, I certainly won't turn off a song from Yes' Fragile album because I can't grasp the lyrics. To me that's part of the music's appeal at times, believe it or not.
I think Yes is a poor example. We don't hear the lyric, we hear the voice as an instrument which is why it is possible to appreciate a lyric in a language we do not speak or understand.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:00

I think Yes is a poor example. We don't hear the lyric, we hear the voice as an instrument which is why it is possible to appreciate a lyric in a language we do not speak or understand.
Exactly right!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:02

Indeed, Jon Anderson used his voice more as an instrument than being too concerned about the meaning of what he was saying.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:08

I don't.

Nor do I.

In that respect Prog fans have a lot in common with Audiophilists - we all know what it is when we hear it but we cannot express that empirically and when we make any attempt to rationalise it we fail ... miserably (in the ten years of this forum's existence we have never produced a universally agreed answer to any question regarding Progressive Rock and we have produced a robust definition of "what Prog is" - we cannot even reach a consensus on ItCotCK). Like those who make bold claims about a piece of esoteric hardware that plays no integral role in the performance of an audio system we attempt elevate the music we like to something it is not in order to validate the buzz we get from listening to it. I see no need for this: like what you like without justification or validation.

I feel that posts like this are important regardless of the lack of objectivity or methodology as it shows if Prog fans are connected to genres outside of Prog like classical, jazz, etc., or exist in some type of 'prog music only ' vacumn. There was no deeper purpose to this exercise. And it's fun.

Edited by SteveG - July 11 2014 at 09:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:13

elevating the music we like to something it is not is not the reason we require to validate the buzz/pleasure we get from listening to it. That's like saying that the pleasure afforded by thirst being sated is equivalent to the aesthetic pleasure afforded by a piece of art  I'm a rodent yes, but both our aesthetic capabilities are a damn sight more sophisticated than mere 'pleasure centers'. Is pizza the oven ready Beethoven for a guilt based aesthetic? The dehydrated man does not reject the Perrier in favour of the Mount Franklin brand. I'm not having a go at you here Dean but if pleasure was the sole measure of value then no-one ever born would have gotten out of bed to create anything.
Indubitably true but the mode of creation is not reflected in the level of appreciation. Sure there are those who value such things but that is not what I was getting at when I talk of validation and elevating it to something it is not. Here I refer to the belief that Progressive Rock has progressed so far from its roots to be completely divorced from the genre(s) of Rock music that spawned it, that Progressive Rock should be afforded equal status with Art Music (as some but not all forms of Jazz have been) alongside Classical Music. To me this appears to be more to do with (self) aggrandisement of the listener and their esoteric musical appreciation than any concrete analysis (or understanding) of the music itself.

Aesthetics and the appreciation of beauty is defined by taste. Taste has little regard for how or why the music was created or the level of sophistication in the composition or performance - without that [taste] pizza would be merely fancy cheese on toast. [though I prefer a well made Welsh rarebit to cheese on toast and cheese on toast to pizza, but that's by-the-by, I'm just not a fan of cooked tomatoes and inedible oven-baked dough - for me pizza is a snack that has been elevated to a main meal merely by increasing its size and any satisfaction gained from it soon diminishes as the temperature drops during the course of gnawing your way across the plate - the last mouthful is seldom a pleasure]. We can all appreciate something we don't necessarily like (I appreciate Miles Davis as an innovator, musician and composer but I gain no pleasure listening to him or his music) - why I like or prefer listening something is for the pleasure I get from it and not to slake a thirst to hear it. If I were dehydrated I would not differentiate any branded bottle water from municipal tap-water ... or pond water if it were a matter of life or death, then I don't drink water for pleasure (and anyone who does is just weird).

Sure as Richard Feynman says (and I'm fond of quoting), understanding the science of a flower only adds to the aesthetic, I agree that with the aesthetic appreciation of music understanding the esoteric behind it can only add to the pleasure, it can never subtract. [well, not quite never, I'm sure I could think of many contrary examples]. But if the pleasure wasn't present beforehand then... *shrug*.

If we can analyse the aesthetic and replicate it then Prog that is "made by numbers" would be aesthetically comparable to the original yet it so often becomes a disappointing simulacrum of that which it attempts to emulate - the aesthetic of what appeals is not contained in the mechanics of 'going through the motions', but even then because of "taste" and "pleasure" there could be examples of following a well-worn template producing a more enjoyable piece of music. There are no absolutes. I've not heard sufficient Starcastle to posit that their best is more pleasurable to Yes at their worst.

Right, lots to take in there. You appear to be saying that Progressive Rock (in any of it's incestuous relations with other genres) will never be deemed worthy of academic art music status. I don't really have any problem with this but who is claiming otherwise? (apart from say Moshkito?)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:21

Right, lots to take in there. You appear to be saying that Progressive Rock (in any of it's incestuous relations with other genres) will never be deemed worthy of academic art music status. I don't really have any problem with this but who is claiming otherwise? (apart from say Moshkito?)
While Pedro (probably) makes such claims (who can really tell?) - he is not the first nor the only one. This debate has been around for as long as I can remember and is related to elitism.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:25

I feel that posts like this are important regardless of the lack of objectivity or methodology as it shows if Prog fans are connected to genres outside of Prog like classical, jazz, etc., or exist in some type of 'prog music only ' vacumn. There was no deeper purpose to this exercise.
It's a subjective topic, there can be little objectivity. Not sure what you're on about with methodology - would you care to elaborate further?
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:30

While Pedro (probably) makes such claims (who can really tell?) 
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>