Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 01:34
I am not saying that.  I firmly believe that the quality of the music depends on the artist and his/her/their creative vision and not on the genre. I am saying simply that there is something peculiar about both prog and its listeners in the sense that a large part of the rest of the music community seems utterly convinced it is pretentious and/or won't give it a chance.  So what is that thing that doesn't attract both hardcore rock and roll fans who want something kickass to listen to on the one hand and also classical/jazz listeners on the other?  It is that prog tries to take the left brained orientation of the latter and wed it to the rebellious, rhythmic quality of the latter.  Of course jazz too can be plenty rebellious but it is not built on driving rhythm the way rock is and that's an element prog too possesses.  We are a bunch of people who want some of the musical intrigue of academic music but don't want to completely let go of the driving, thumping quality of rock music either.  This is the niche that prog caters to.  It is the only non-academic genre that is by nature somewhat left brained.  In other genres, it is exceptional/eccentric (as applicable) artists who tend to do left brained stuff like a Beatles or a S Wonder.  In prog, it is the norm.  If it is not left brained in any regard whatsoever, we would have difficulty calling it prog.  Once you accept the idea of rock music that passes through different sections, combining both vocal passages and long instrumental interludes, with a somewhat linear rather than cyclical progression, then simplicity isn't really of essence.  Perhaps the ideas may have such clarity that they APPEAR simple to follow.  But prog as a rule cannot be compared to say Chris Rea's Road to Hell and called 'simple'.  Complicated and long winded is the appropriate word, I think.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 01:50
^ Very well said. One of those go-to posts (at least to me) for people who want to understand prog.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 12 2014 at 01:50
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 03:00
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Two questions, though:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

This is why the lyrics to DSOTM are so brilliant i.e. some very unpalatable and complex ideas are presented in a way that practically anyone can understand irrespective of their intellect.
Death, wasting time, the root of all evil? Unpalatable and complex? Where? Isn't it the absence of those qualities that actually makes the album an accessible piece of work?

... and ...

It's also quite telling that the music on this benchmark Prog album is predominately simple both rhythmically and harmonically.
Didn't they use some slightly unconventional chords on some of the songs on DSOTM ?

The acceptance and/or realisation that there is no spiritual consolation afforded to mankind, that mental health is often exploited as a controlling mechanism by our rulers and that our labours on this earth are ultimately futile is certainly unpalatable and complex for most listeners in my book anyway. Funny thing about DSOTM for me is that the Beatles may have 'turned us on' but Floyd managed to deliver some of the worst news we'll ever hear in our lives without appearing to turn us off. How does 'some slightly unconventional chords' (and we can safely throw in the famous riff in 7/4) equate to ripping up the harmonic and metric rulebook?

I also think the left/right brain dichotomy is getting really tired now fellas. This was a resilient myth perpetrated by the work of Nobel prize winning neuropsychologist Roger W. Sperry which has now been widely disproved as 'Pop' psychology: (or Prog psychology in our caseLOL)
http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/left-brain-right-brain.htm

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 12 2014 at 03:01
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 03:06
You might perhaps be taking it too literally.  There may or may not be such thing as a left or right brain but there are people who focus more on the analytical aspects of music and people who are more interested in the tones and textures.  Analytical doesn't also mean drawing geometrical diagrams, it simply means showing an interest in the way a melodic or harmonic progression develops and drawing delight in the element of surprise.  A person who is more interested in tones may get turned off by bland tones and this analytical aspect may not be enough to retain his interest.   It is often a bit of both but people do frequently plump a little or much more in favour of one over the other.

If you honestly claim to have never noticed this difference in preferences, I don't have anything further to say on this discussion.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 03:10
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

You might perhaps be taking it too literally.  There may or may not be such thing as a left or right brain but there are people who focus more on the analytical aspects of music and people who are more interested in the tones and textures.  Analytical doesn't also mean drawing geometrical diagrams, it simply means showing an interest in the way a melodic or harmonic progression develops and drawing delight in the element of surprise.  A person who is more interested in tones may get turned off by bland tones and this analytical aspect may not be enough to retain his interest.   It is often a bit of both but people do frequently plump a little or much more in favour of one over the other.

If you honestly claim to have never noticed this difference in preferences, I don't have anything further to say on this discussion.  

I'm clearly a 'left brain behind' personOuch
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 03:17
Personally I think the reason as to why the lyrics on Dark Side work so well, is that there is a willfull naiveness about them. They make huge sweeping statements but delivered with an almost child-like feel to them.
It's no 'Bringing it All back Home' lyrically, but in the face of the surrounding music, what is there simply develops wings and suddenly evokes that more emotional poignancy.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 12 2014 at 03:18
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 03:31
I'm not sure I get the first part David - do you really think the following is willfully naive?

Every year is getting shorter, never seem the find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say....

For me, most of the lyrics on DSOTM share the same bleakly existential malaise as that explored by the likes of Camus, Sartre, and Beckett. (None of whom were ever accused of peddling romantic fiction or fart gags)
Wink
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 03:35
Never thought about it as naive at all.  Exceedingly bleak and gloomy, I should say.  The only time doom metal broke through to the top of the pops, in a manner of speaking.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 03:38
^ You is one mercurial critter - thought you had said all you wanted to on this topic? Wink (I'm glad yer back anyways)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 04:06

How does 'some slightly unconventional chords' (and we can safely throw in the famous riff in 7/4) equate to ripping up the harmonic and metric rulebook?
I never said anything of the kind. I was just making a point that the album is not predominately simple harmonically.

(I crossed out some stuff since I was just talking about harmony.)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 04:12
Maybe I didn't explain myself that well. I am awfully hung over.
It's the delivery as well as the clever English take on the oracle of Delfi, which combined ends up willfully naive to these ears (I was not infering a lack of age old wisdom or general bleakness as you say;) and that in itself is enough to suggest it being intended on their behalf.

Turn off brain.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 04:32
Waters lyrics are simple plain speaking rather than naive and 40+ years on, and even though we have lived through the contrived honesty of Punk, we are still not used to that in a pop/rock lyric. There is certainly nothing high-brow or deep and meaningful in what he wrote, it is merely commentary and observation expressed plainly and simply and that imbues it with an accessibility that "protest songs" often fail to deliver. The popularity of DSotM is a measure of that accessibility and an explanation of why it appeals to such a wide audience spectrum - you don't need a degree in philosophy to understand it nor do you need to share Waters political or social views to appreciate the message, he described a modern (for the 1970s) version of the seven deadly sins as he saw it and that resonated with (I shudder to use the pretentious word zeitgeist here but spirit of the age sounds so narrow and dated... umm...) everyday experience. Yet while this all appears to be doomy and gloomy as Waters reveals all the things we already knew, it doesn't end on despairing down-beat message, Eclipse is an uplifting souring crescendo that is reflected (albeit subconsciously perhaps) in the album cover graphic, which at first glance appears to be disparate and unrelated to the album title, music and lyrical content. Sure he uses metaphor, but they are easily understood without sounding uncomfortably clichéd: sun and moon - light and dark - good and bad - sanity and insanity ... everyone gets that; white light contains all the colours under the sun and you can have any colour you like if you can overcome the madness - not a deep or impenetrable message that's for sure. It's simple but not child-like, it avoids being a cerebral, intellectual commentary by using everyday language in a conventional way that doesn't require hours of angsty analysis to understand.

He achieved this on DSotM without trying and that's something he hasn't managed to replicate ... his later work tries too hard and it shows. This is also why there has never been another DSotM (in any genre by any artist) and why it will remain unique.

Edited by Dean - July 12 2014 at 04:41
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 04:44

^ You is one mercurial critter - thought you had said all you wanted to on this topic? Wink (I'm glad yer back anyways)

I said I was not interested in pursuing the discussion on left brained or otherwise music further.  Not that I am exiting the thread per se.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 04:53
I'm not enamoured by the left-brain/right-brain idea, either as a neurological/physiological reality (which it isn't) or as psychological/metaphorical concept (which is a crock); or by the notion that creative and analytical are unrelated and separate or that they reflect opposing personality types.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 04:53
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

How does 'some slightly unconventional chords' (and we can safely throw in the famous riff in 7/4) equate to ripping up the harmonic and metric rulebook?
I never said anything of the kind. I was just making a point that the album is not predominately simple harmonically.

(I crossed out some stuff since I was just talking about harmony.)

Why is it that Prog fans are stereotypically portrayed as cosseted anal retentive pedants who look down their noses at popular aesthetic phenomena? You've already stated that DSOTM is popular because the thematic material is:

Unpalatable and complex? Where? Isn't it the absence of those qualities that actually makes the album an accessible piece of work?

Now I like to think that both of us might agree that the album has no love songs, no terrace anthems (which ironically one Floyd album does) no paeans to the enduring immutability or nobility of the human spirit and is actually filled with songs about the vulnerability of people's psyches to mental illness (real or imagined) If people are as simplistic as you would have us believe, DSOTM would have been just another esoteric rock album by Pink Floyd to be gorged upon by their niche audience. This thing moved the masses for f*cks sake so why do you immediately think that a cadence or melody you like must be invested with innovation or prescience (otherwise said idea is not worthy of your esteem?) The musical ideas on DSOTM are predominantly conventional western song based ideas no different to those exploited by someone like the Kinks on Muswell Hillbillies. The only difference is that Waters somehow tapped into something like the collective unconscious to unimpeachable effect

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 12 2014 at 05:14
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 05:03
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'm not enamoured by the left-brain/right-brain idea, either as a neurological/physiological reality (which it isn't) or as psychological/metaphorical concept (which is a crock); or by the notion that creative and analytical are unrelated and separate or that they reflect opposing personality types.

Never said the CREATIVE and the ANALYTICAL are separate.  But creativity in coming up with great tones need not go along with creativity in coming up with different or unexpected harmonic ideas.  We can see this split quite clearly in rock.  Ambient/psychedelic rock often tends to eschew development in a linear sense because the focus is on the tone and exploring different facets of the tone.  Whereas if you take jazz rock, a lot of it can sound very similar tonally (would say that about plenty of Canterbury as well) and the difference is more in the note selection by itself.  These are not necessarily reflective of opposing personality types (and never said as much) and great music can often combine great tones with great melodic or harmonic ideas.  But there can be a subconscious preference for one over the other and since it's subconscious, it's potent and difficult to reverse.  I am surprised at the surprise being expressed over this idea because I have frequently encountered it.  I would recommend an artist to somebody who would come back in a minute complaining there was a tone or a set of tones that turned them off and I'd find I had never noticed it because I was so much taken up with the chords or some such aspect that I overlooked the tones.  I am flexible with tones and not so flexible with ideas that sound cliched.  For some people, it's the tones they want because they listen to music that sounds great to their ears and they don't mind it if the ideas are not so bold.  I am ok with music sounding like practically anything as long as it's daring. 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 05:08
Prog appeals to my senses...  Commercial radio stuff bores me to tears........thats it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 05:11

Never said the CREATIVE and the ANALYTICAL are separate.  But creativity in coming up with great tones need not go along with creativity in coming up with different or unexpected harmonic ideas.  We can see this split quite clearly in rock.  Ambient/psychedelic rock often tends to eschew development in a linear sense because the focus is on the tone and exploring different facets of the tone.  Whereas if you take jazz rock, a lot of it can sound very similar tonally (would say that about plenty of Canterbury as well) and the difference is more in the note selection by itself.  These are not necessarily reflective of opposing personality types (and never said as much) and great music can often combine great tones with great melodic or harmonic ideas.  But there can be a subconscious preference for one over the other and since it's subconscious, it's potent and difficult to reverse.  I am surprised at the surprise being expressed over this idea because I have frequently encountered it.  I would recommend an artist to somebody who would come back in a minute complaining there was a tone or a set of tones that turned them off and I'd find I had never noticed it because I was so much taken up with the chords or some such aspect that I overlooked the tones.  I am flexible with tones and not so flexible with ideas that sound cliched.  For some people, it's the tones they want because they listen to music that sounds great to their ears and they don't mind it if the ideas are not so bold.  I am ok with music sounding like practically anything as long as it's daring. 

This is complete bollocks and you know it (that's the worst part). Give it up pilgrim.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 05:14

Never said the CREATIVE and the ANALYTICAL are separate.
I never accused you of such. It is a common conclusion that is drawn from psychometrics of which the left-brain/right-brain idea is the erroneous pop-science explanation.

But creativity in coming up with great tones need not go along with creativity in coming up with different or unexpected harmonic ideas.  We can see this split quite clearly in rock.  Ambient/psychedelic rock often tends to eschew development in a linear sense because the focus is on the tone and exploring different facets of the tone.  Whereas if you take jazz rock, a lot of it can sound very similar tonally (would say that about plenty of Canterbury as well) and the difference is more in the note selection by itself.  These are not necessarily reflective of opposing personality types (and never said as much) and great music can often combine great tones with great melodic or harmonic ideas.  But there can be a subconscious preference for one over the other and since it's subconscious, it's potent and difficult to reverse.  I am surprised at the surprise being expressed over this idea because I have frequently encountered it.  I would recommend an artist to somebody who would come back in a minute complaining there was a tone or a set of tones that turned them off and I'd find I had never noticed it because I was so much taken up with the chords or some such aspect that I overlooked the tones.  I am flexible with tones and not so flexible with ideas that sound cliched.  For some people, it's the tones they want because they listen to music that sounds great to their ears and they don't mind it if the ideas are not so bold.  I am ok with music sounding like practically anything as long as it's daring. 
I don't see how any of that is related to the left-brain/right-brain idea. 
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 05:55

You've already stated that DSOTM is popular because the thematic material is:

Unpalatable and complex? Where? Isn't it the absence of those qualities that actually makes the album an accessible piece of work?

Now I like to think that both of us might agree that the album has no love songs, no terrace anthems (which ironically one Floyd album does) no paeans to the enduring immutability or nobility of the human spirit and is actually filled with songs about the vulnerability of people's psyches to mental illness (real or imagined).

If people are as simplistic as you would have us believe, DSOTM would have been just another esoteric rock album by Pink Floyd to be gorged upon by their niche audience.
I'm not hearing Roger indicating any sort of human complexity.

... why do you immediately think that a cadence or melody you like must be invested with innovation or prescience (otherwise said idea is not worthy of your esteem?)
When did I ever say that? I never said that something I like has to be invested with anything, so what does that have to do with anything in our discussion as it was? ... And what's with the attitude?

The musical ideas on DSOTM are predominantly conventional western song based ideas no different to those exploited by someone like the Kinks on Muswell Hillbillies.
I believe you and I have different understanding of what is harmonically simple/complex.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 12 2014 at 06:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>