Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 06:04
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Prog appeals to my senses...  Commercial radio stuff bores me to tears........thats it.
Confused so there is nothing in between? Everything is either 'commercial radio stuff' or Prog ... that's a shame.
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 06:26
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

And what's with the attitude?

Maybe I think that the idea that culture would be safely invested in those who are only able to articulate their own eloquence and lack of experiential nous is somehow a bad thing.

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 12 2014 at 06:27
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 06:56
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

And what's with the attitude?

Maybe I think that the idea that culture would be safely invested in those who are only able to articulate their own eloquence and lack of experiential nous is somehow a bad thing.
Not sure how I fit the description. Anyway, this belongs in a different thread, not here.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 07:02
Because the prog genre has rock drumming and classical imagery on top of it.  My Per Un Amico and my Moonmadness keep me going.
tawny ant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 07:03
Here's a different opinion, I guess: progressive rock is my refuge from the typical diet of classic rock, folk and blues that are still collectively revered as the best music of the previous era. I'm afraid to say that the only way I can stomache the popular music of the sixties and seventies is if it's smothered in mellotron or subverted by ambition! Awed by composers who gamble on their audience's patience, sense of humour and taste for danger, my favourite music is not just prog, but also the wilder sides of post-punk, funk and industrial music.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 07:04
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Prog appeals to my senses...  Commercial radio stuff bores me to tears........thats it.
Confused so there is nothing in between? Everything is either 'commercial radio stuff' or Prog ... that's a shame.

well I can answer for ya.  I've heard "Doolittle",  "Television Marquee Moon" and "Automatic for the People".  They are about as boring as commercial radio stuff.  

Chances are that the things "in between" will be boring.  Prog isn't.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 07:12
(this is directed at  dayvenkirq. Just like rogerthat you split when anyone disagrees or confronts you with a perspective alien to your expectations. It goes with the territory, white guys who don't get laid pretend it''s not important and that their inner beauty will trump the villainous spectator sport that is attraction. Mercifully art trumps the intellect and you are clearly deaf to that which speaks to the heart.

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 12 2014 at 07:18
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 07:13
Originally posted by tawny ant tawny ant wrote:

Here's a different opinion, I guess: progressive rock is my refuge from the typical diet of classic rock, folk and blues that are still collectively revered as the best music of the previous era. I'm afraid to say that the only way I can stomache the popular music of the sixties and seventies is if it's smothered in mellotron or subverted by ambition! Awed by composers who gamble on their audience's patience, sense of humour and taste for danger, my favourite music is not just prog, but also the wilder sides of post-punk, funk and industrial music.

Certainly true for me!

The only way I can stomach the "metal" genre is if it's progressive metal.
The only way I can stomach the "death metal" genre is if it's progressive+death metal bands such as Death, Cynic and Atheist.
The only way I can stomach the "black metal" genre is if it's progressive+black metal bands such as Agalloch, Arcturus and Moonsorrow.
The only way I can stomach the "power metal" genre is if it's progressive+power metal bands (many of the popular bands got it).
and so on.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 08:50
...oh good grief...
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 09:33

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I feel that posts like this are important regardless of the lack of objectivity or methodology as it shows if Prog fans are connected to genres outside of Prog like classical, jazz, etc., or exist in some type of 'prog music only ' vacumn. There was no deeper purpose to this exercise.

It's a subjective topic, there can be little objectivity. Not sure what you're on about with methodology - would you care to elaborate further?
It's as far from a scientific pole as you can get, just throwing out questions quickly in order to gauge a consensous. The poll takers are subjective. Ony the polster is objective (hopefully!)
...and now you've lost me completely. I'll just ignore your "methodology" comment .... and the "objectivity" one too. 

Dean, you seem to want to ignore most of this thread so I'll give you more to ignore. I sympathize with your frustration over not being able to reach a definitive meaning as to the word 'progressive' in PA. That is because the current music addressed in this site is not progressive. Rock music was only truly progressive in the late 60's and early 70's. Everything produced after that is only an imitation of it's style. The Neo Progressive movement says it all. A copying of Gabriel era Genesis without condemation as to the fact that this was the polar opposite of what Prog is and should be and is why we are where we are at now. The name of this site claims to archive this past prog but does nothing of the sort. Furthermore, treating this retreaded music with the same reverence does little to help. As to the discussions being devoid of music, you should know clearly by now that members go off on tangents or are defensive about music that they themselves did not create. A truly childish attitude if there ever was one. As for discussing beats, bars, chords and notes, I've done that for most of my life and I'm more interested in what fans think of music now as opposed to what producers and musicians think, that's why I ask the questions that I do. We are on opposite sides on this and that's unfortunate. Again, I truly appreciate for frustration, but you are the one flogging a dead horse in all of this, so I will sincerely wish good luck and hope that music can again bring you the same joy that it brings to me.

Edited by SteveG - July 12 2014 at 10:50
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 09:49

I feel that posts like this are important regardless of the lack of objectivity or methodology as it shows if Prog fans are connected to genres outside of Prog like classical, jazz, etc., or exist in some type of 'prog music only ' vacumn. There was no deeper purpose to this exercise.

It's a subjective topic, there can be little objectivity. Not sure what you're on about with methodology - would you care to elaborate further?
It's as far from a scientific pole as you can get, just throwing out questions quickly in order to gauge a consensous. The poll takers are subjective. Ony the polster is objective (hopefully!)
...and now you've lost me completely. I'll just ignore your "methodology" comment .... and the "objectivity" one too. 

Dean,
Well, you got my name right.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:28

Dean,

Well, you got my name right.
I've got more than just your name correct. Read my post again as the text dropped out.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:29
With the sort of music which the industry tries to sell to the audiences nowadays, it's a real mystery that Prog did not become popular again.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:36

<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Two questions, though:</span>

This is why the lyrics to DSOTM are so brilliant i.e. some very unpalatable and complex ideas are presented in a way that practically anyone can understand irrespective of their intellect.
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Death, wasting time, the root of all evil?</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;"> </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">Unpalatable and complex? Where? Isn't it the absence of those qualities that actually makes the album an accessible piece of work?</span>
... and ...

It's also quite telling that the music on this benchmark Prog album is predominately simple both rhythmically and harmonically.
Didn't they use some slightly unconventional chords on some of the songs on DSOTM ?

The acceptance and/or realisation that there is no
spiritual consolation afforded to mankind, that mental health is often
exploited as a controlling mechanism by our rulers and that our labours
on this earth are ultimately futile is certainly unpalatable and complex
for most listeners in my book anyway. Funny thing about DSOTM for me is
that the Beatles may have 'turned us on' but Floyd managed to deliver
some of the worst news we'll ever hear in our lives without appearing to
turn us off. How does 'some slightly unconventional chords' (and we can
safely throw in the famous riff in 7/4) equate to ripping up the
harmonic and metric rulebook?I also think the left/right brain
dichotomy is getting really tired now fellas. This was a resilient myth
perpetrated by the work of Nobel prize winning neuropsychologist Roger
W.
Sperry which has now been widely disproved as 'Pop' psychology: (or Prog psychology in our caseLOL)http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/left-brain-right-brain.htm

The article confirms that there are differences in the tasks that the left brain and right do, and that they are the same ones we'd always been told of. I don't know what the pop-science notion of left and right brain is. The article doesn't say-not a good article. It makes a great deal out of the left and right sides working together, but they do this by manning their particular specializations, so I can't hazard a guess as to what has been disproven.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:45
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

With the sort of music which the industry tries to sell to the audiences nowadays, it's a real mystery that Prog did not become popular again.
Complicated observation G, as one that was more on the music side of the business it's simply a matter of placing a current style within the reaches of younger audiences. With the record business basically going under after the Napster and pirating craze it's even more remote, but musical styles and trends do come around for many unknown and also known reasons such as the economic crunch and political divides in the US resulting in someone like Tom Morello picking up an acoustic guitar and recording and performing his own protest music, so anything is possible and you can never count a musical genre out.

Edited by SteveG - July 12 2014 at 10:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I am not saying that.  I firmly believe that the quality of the music depends on the artist and his/her/their creative vision and not on the genre. I am saying simply that there is something peculiar about both prog and its listeners in the sense that a large part of the rest of the music community seems utterly convinced it is pretentious and/or won't give it a chance.  So what is that thing that doesn't attract both hardcore rock and roll fans who want something kickass to listen to on the one hand and also classical/jazz listeners on the other?  It is that prog tries to take the left brained orientation of the latter and wed it to the rebellious, rhythmic quality of the latter.  Of course jazz too can be plenty rebellious but it is not built on driving rhythm the way rock is and that's an element prog too possesses.  We are a bunch of people who want some of the musical intrigue of academic music but don't want to completely let go of the driving, thumping quality of rock music either.  This is the niche that prog caters to.  It is the only non-academic genre that is by nature somewhat left brained.  In other genres, it is exceptional/eccentric (as applicable) artists who tend to do left brained stuff like a Beatles or a S Wonder.  In prog, it is the norm.  If it is not left brained in any regard whatsoever, we would have difficulty calling it prog.  Once you accept the idea of rock music that passes through different sections, combining both vocal passages and long instrumental interludes, with a somewhat linear rather than cyclical progression, then simplicity isn't really of essence.  Perhaps the ideas may have such clarity that they APPEAR simple to follow.  But prog as a rule cannot be compared to say Chris Rea's Road to Hell and called 'simple'.  Complicated and long winded is the appropriate word, I think.

For me, it's some version of this. Thinking music with a head of steam behind it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:01

Rock music was only truly progressive in the late 60's and early 70's. Everything produced after that is only an imitation of it's style.
That was depressing. Then I considered how Steve Hackett produced quite a bit of truly progressive material in the 2000s, and I got alright again.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:05
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Rock music was only truly progressive in the late 60's and early 70's. Everything produced after that is only an imitation of it's style.
That was depressing. Then I considered how Steve Hackett produced quite a bit of truly progressive material in the 2000s, and I got alright again.
Perception is what life is all about. If you think Hackett's style of work is truly progressive, inventive and something that never existed before than my hats off to you.

Edited by SteveG - July 12 2014 at 11:20
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:07

I've got more than just your name correct. Read my post again as the text dropped out.

Okay, one more time, with feeling:

Dean, you seem to want to ignore most of this thread so I'll give you more to ignore. I sympathize with your frustration over not being able to reach a definitive meaning as to the word 'progressive' in PA. That is because the current music addressed in this site is not progressive. Rock music was only truly progressive in the late 60's and early 70's. Everything produced after that is only an imitation of it's style. The Neo Progressive movement says it all. A copying of Gabriel era Genesis without condemation as to the fact that this was the polar opposite of what Prog is and should be and is why we are where we are at now. The name of this site claims to archive this past prog but does nothing of the sort. Furthermore, treating this retreaded music with the same reverence does little to help. As to the discussions being devoid of music, you should know clearly by now that members go off on tangents or are defensive about music that they themselves did not create. A truly childish attitude if there ever was one. As for discussing beats, bars, chords and notes, I've done that for most of my life and I'm more interested in what fans think of music now as opposed to what producers and musicians think, that's why I ask the questions that I do. We are on opposite sides on this and that's unfortunate. Again, I truly appreciate for frustration, but you are the one flogging a dead horse in all of this, so I will sincerely wish good luck and hope that music can again bring you the same joy that it brings to me.
Well, at least you got my name right.

...better?

Edited by Dean - July 12 2014 at 12:24
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:11

(this is directed at  dayvenkirq. Just like rogerthat you split when anyone disagrees or confronts you with a perspective alien to your expectations. It goes with the territory, white guys who don't get laid pretend it''s not important and that their inner beauty will trump the villainous spectator sport that is attraction. Mercifully art trumps the intellect and you are clearly deaf to that which speaks to the heart.

OK, since you insisted on dragging me in when I am not involved in the argument, no, I steer clear of discussions with people who cannot argue without indulging in sweeping character judgments.  Perhaps you think your Scottish origins somehow entitle you to do so but as I am not quite inclined to agree, I would rather not participate at all.  And before you snipe, as is your wont, I shall henceforth never respond to, even in agreement, with what you say because this has been a pattern with you and I am sure I am not alone in saying so.  If anything, your comments reveal a person who calls different perspectives "bollocks" or "elitist" or whatever simply because he cannot agree with them. I do not know that I have done likewise, whether to you or to anybody else in the forum, but I frankly don't care enough to return the compliment.  

Edited by rogerthat - July 12 2014 at 11:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>