Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho do you feel should get a 'Prog Nod'?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who do you feel should get a 'Prog Nod'?
    Posted: July 10 2014 at 15:27
We listen to many artists and albums that are not Prog, or in the case of one artist I know, would feel uncomfortable if his music was categorized as Prog even though he's made several clever concept albums. Are there any artists that you know whose work is along Prog lines but is not normally what is put out by the artist and you feel that they deserve what I call a 'Prog Nod' to in order to show appreciation for there talent or work?

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 15:57
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 16:20
Not Muse. Approve

Jay Munly
Angels of Light
Flaming Lips
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 17:40
Ry Cooder: Chevaz Ravine. After an eighteen year hiatus, the venerated slide guitarist and world music producer returned to the recording studio in 2003 and created this concept album about the real life events of the south California town of Chevaz Revine and the removal of it's Mexican American citizens in order to build Dodger Stadium after the town was leveled. The songs are mostly sung in spanish with english translations in the CD's liner notes. Cooder even incorporates a local legend of a UFO visitation to the town's citizens warning them of their impending doom and offering to take them all back to a sacred mountain in Mexico. This is one of the best concept albums that I've encountered outside of the prog realm and Cooder truly deserves a Prog Nod for it. Thumbs Up

Edited by SteveG - July 16 2014 at 17:53
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 17:46
Godflesh and co.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 18:58
My "prog nod" goes to The Durutti Column. A few other people I know would give it to Joanna Newsom.
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 19:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

We listen to many artists and albums that are not Prog, or in the case of one artist I know, would feel uncomfortable if his music was categorized as Prog even though he's made several clever concept albums. Are there any artists that you know whose work is along Prog lines but not listed in the PA discography or categorized as Prog that you would like to give what I call a 'Prog Nod' to in order to show appreciation for there talent or work?
I don't like how that sounds: like being prog means you're ahead of other genres.

Anyway I have a counter example: Swans. I absolutely f**king love them but see no reason for including them here. Yes, their later work is post-rock, but still.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 09:34
Originally posted by Earthmover Earthmover wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

We listen to many artists and albums that are not Prog, or in the case of one artist I know, would feel uncomfortable if his music was categorized as Prog even though he's made several clever concept albums. Are there any artists that you know whose work is along Prog lines but not listed in the PA discography or categorized as Prog that you would like to give what I call a 'Prog Nod' to in order to show appreciation for there talent or work?
I don't like how that sounds: like being prog means you're ahead of other genres.

Anyway I have a counter example: Swans. I absolutely f**king love them but see no reason for including them here. Yes, their later work is post-rock, but still.
To clarify, I was putting forward acts that I feel are over looked as prog for whatever silly reason. I prefer acoustic and electric blues over prog myself so I don't follow your elitist objection.

Edited by SteveG - July 18 2014 at 09:36
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 03:33
My 'pet' suggestion is always Al Stewart. He worked closely with Alan Parsons for a short while and even his most famous hit Year Of The Cat always struck me as having a strong prog feel. That guitar solo is one of the most memorable. However his real prog credentials shone through on Past ,Present and Future which is probably as close to 'prog folk' as you can get without being there. Roads To Moscow and Nostradamus are the two big ones with both tracks forming a big part of the live show he did in the late seventies and early eighties. Concept album? Perhaps with Russians and Americans( check out the great Emersonesque keys on Rumours Of War) and also Last Days Of The Century which is my favourite album by Al. Lots of prog goodies on that especially Fields Of France and Helen and Cassandra to name just two.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 04:12
I think I get the 'gist' of this thread. For me it's mostly modern acts that instantly spring to mind. Stuff like Animal Collective, F*ck Buttons, Boris, Sun O))), FSOL (maybe not that "modern"), Scott Walker and Burial - those are all someone who I personally believe have carried on the very spirit behind prog rock. The music has changed but it still aims for notions of grandeur reached through some form of sonic experimentation and ideas of pushing the music as far as could ever go. The aforementioned acts just resemble what todays progressive music minded folks go for. Imagining how some of the matured folks on this very board looked and generally thought about music back in the day, I think it's fair to say that you could interchange em with the peeps I grew up with, and nobody would be able to spot the difference. Perfect match.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 20 2014 at 04:29
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 04:28
Prog-Nod to Muse
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 04:45
Slightly deviating from the topic...but wud like to see Iron Maiden get placed in ProgMetal category.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 01:53
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Slightly deviating from the topic...but wud like to see Iron Maiden get placed in ProgMetal category.

Maiden are one of those bands like Queen and Steely Dan who almost occupy their own category.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 01:54
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Prog-Nod to Muse

Absolut(ion)ely

Wink
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 02:14
There is a place where Prog fans get to extend their favourite non Prog bands the so-called Prog Nod: it was intended to be Prog Related but lord knows what it has come to resembles now?Dead

There are those in Prog Related probably more deserving of a 'Glasgow kiss' than a Prog NodWink

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 22 2014 at 02:17
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 02:41
Perhaps not the artist as a whole, but in terms of particular albums Lou Reed's Rock'n'Roll Animal and Berlin are excellent and with enough complexity. Jackson Browne's Running On Empty is pretty decent too. Dave Matthew's Band have some pretty good stuff too.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 02:46
Scott Walker
Elbow
Future Sound of London
Pete Namlook
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 02:51
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Scott Walker
Thank you! ... If Swans are here, then so should Scott be. He would fit nicely in RIO/Avant-Prog.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 22 2014 at 02:52
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 06:53
The Police also come to mind, with Synchronicity being a very good album, and Extreme's album Three Sides To Every Story also pops up sometimes in these discussions, besides the clearly Prog-oriented 20 min title suite, the rock songs often have interesting chords and arrangements as well, with more than one nod to Queen.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 07:06
Funkadelic
rotten hound of the burnie crew
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 07:52
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote: