Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite Various Artists Albums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Various Artists Albums?
    Posted: July 11 2014 at 02:06
Some of mine:

No New York - Brian Eno produced album from the late 70s on Antilles, featuring four bands from the short lived No Wave scene of the 1970s and 80s, an art/film/music movement prominently in the New York area that took the DIY aesthetics of punk to an extreme, with most of the members of the movement being entirely self taught in their craft, as well as more diverse and avant-garde themes. The four bands on the album are really fantastic, especially one of my all time favorites DNA, and really give a good sample of what the scene was like.

Open Ends - Released in 2000 by Museum Music. Made up of (usually) experimental music from New York from 1960 to 2000, very diverse, eclectic, and usually very good. Introduced me to some great artists, like The Velvet Underground, Liquid Liquid, Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, etc.

Homeland - Black South African music, mostly from the 80s, released on Rounder. If you liked the South African elements on Graceland, I would very strongly recommend this. Some really great artists with really interesting and often infectious music.

An Anthology of Noise & Electronic Music Vol. #1 - Released on Sub Rosa, featuring a great selection of noise tunes from 1921 to 2001. Some great gems of early musique concrete.

Woodstock; 40 Years On - Six+ hours of Woodstock on Rhino, featuring almost every artist. Of course not all of the bands are amazing but quite a lot of them are.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 18:32
Supernatural Fairy Tales-The Progressive Rock Era- 5 discs; Rhino Records

Nuggets-Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era-4 discs; Rhino Records

The Psychedelic Years Revisited-6 discs -Sequel Records
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 19:18
P.E.A.C.E. - an international hardcore comp (2 LPs, over 50 bands) that I got in the mid 80s. Introduced me to a whole lotta bands.

The Progressives - a cool 2 LP comp on Columbia from the mid 70s featuring tracks from their progressive jazz roster - Mahavishnu, Paul Winter Consort, Matching Mole, others.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 20:29
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

P.E.A.C.E. - an international hardcore comp (2 LPs, over 50 bands) that I got in the mid 80s. Introduced me to a whole lotta bands.

I used to have that vinyl back in the day...I remember the Conflict tune in particular being quite ferocious and blunt. Pretty wild!

I also had the 'Rat Music For Rat People' compilation volumes 1 thru 3 that had a lot of famous punk/hardcore acts, although 3 started adding a bit of crossover stuff as well. I also had the first two Mystic Samplers which had some really cool stuff and some other hardcore compilations as well on cassette...it was the best way to get check out lots of tunes from different acts without spending much cash. Due to the general short length of the songs, I could check out a slew of groups on one record.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 20:18
XTC Testimonial Dinner
Big Blue Ball
Dali: The Endless Enigma (Has Djam Karet doing one track.  It would be years after that got this that rediscovered them.)
Marijuana's Greatest Hits Revisited
The Genesis and King Crimson Tributes are pretty good.

Least favorite - More for Your Pleasure: A Tribute to Roxy Music

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 23:43
- Currently I have the Repo Man soundtrack in frequent rotation.
- Probably a soundtrack for one of Quentin Tarantino's movies.
- The Warp Records boxset from a few years ago would probably be my top choice... great music (and great packaging too)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 03:49
Seem to have several rock compilations , all of which have Argent Hold You Head Up and Don't Fear The Reaper (BOC)Smile

I will often buy a compilation just to get few tracks. I have a best of rock compilation (German release I think) which has the long version of Black Betty by the Ram Jam Band and also a few other things.

Struggle to name one really good one though.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 04:31
Originally posted by catfood03 catfood03 wrote:

-
- The Warp Records boxset from a few years ago would probably be my top choice... great music (and great packaging too)

Oooo - haven't got that - *puts on wish-list*

Record label samplers:
V - Virgin Records Sampler
The Charisma Disturbance - Famous Charisma Label sampler
Charisma Keyboards - Famous Charisma Label sampler
Brain Waves - Brain Records sampler
Picnic: A Breath of Fresh Air - Harvest Records sampler
Angels in the Architecture - E.G Records sampler
Not Just Beat Music - See For Miles Records sampler
Unzipping the Abstract - Manchester Musicians Collective sampler

Tribute albums:
Lost In The Stars: The Music of Kurt Weill - tribute to Kurt Weill/Bertolt Brecht
Random Vol 1 - tribute to Gary Numan
A Tribute to Kate Bush: The Child In Her Eyes ~ Dress2Kill Records knock-off tribute album, featuring Jemima Price
A Tribute to Tori Amos: The Pretty Good Years ~ Dress2Kill Records knock-off tribute album, featuring Jemima Price
Dubside of the Moon - Easy Star Allstars tribute to DSotM (contains various guests, ergo is a VA album of sorts)

Compilations: 
I have several Prog Rock Compilation albums that I like to play in the car for those short journeys when there's not enough time to hear a whole album. In general they are a mish-mash of popular tracks, many of which are not Prog at all, but occasionally you find one that is a nice eclectic mix of new and old Prog - they are still mainly popular artists and the same old same old tracks do re-occur but the Prog Rock! series compiled from the EMI archive by Jerry Ewing is pretty fair - Although they feature EMI-related artists they're not really samplers in the traditional sense but at £12 for five discs you can't really go wrong. [One of these was in the CD player when I wrecked my MG]
What?
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 19:08
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 22:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by catfood03 catfood03 wrote:

-
- The Warp Records boxset from a few years ago would probably be my top choice... great music (and great packaging too)

Oooo - haven't got that - *puts on wish-list*

Think it might be only an eBay item by now (I don't wanna sell mine), but most of the music from this collection has been divided into individual CD collections that are still available.
 Post Reply Post Reply