Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeaven and Earth "Most Popular Album"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heaven and Earth "Most Popular Album"?
    Posted: July 12 2014 at 08:23
It's kind of weird that already for a couple of days Yes' Heaven and Earth is appearing as "Most Popular Album (yesterday)" in PA's homepage, when it's rated 2.2 and it's receiving constant bashing by most people around here (I have not listened to it myself yet).
What does "Most Popular Album (yesterday)" actually mean? because as it is, it does not seem a very reliable guide (unless by "popular" we simply mean "most talked about" even if in a negative way).
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 08:32
I think the title is "Most Popular Artist" not 'Album'. It's my understanding that is a measure of how many times the band has been searched or visited. I may be wrong. Anyone else??

Edited by JD - July 12 2014 at 09:21
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 08:36
D'uh...I just saw the heading you were speaking about. Still, I think the concept is the same. Most searched. Then again, because it's footer is "Buy this album from a PA partner" it may be a simple matter of advertising $$'s. Either way, this is NOT a popular album by any definition.

Edited by JD - July 12 2014 at 09:36
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 08:36
how the hell should i know, you f**kin whiners.
Progrockdude
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 09:24
What is your problem? Yours is one of the most useless posts a person could submit. If you don't care, don't reply. If you have anger issues, seek help. If you have nothing to contribute, move on. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 09:28
I believe it is just a numerical record of the album receiving the most views in a 24 hours period.  Has nothing to do with the quality of the music.

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 09:55
This is a really strong album---it is Yes today---there are a few Beatle-esque songs that are just okay--but it flows nicely and deserves some love-it grows on you, it's not an instant winner--it's a grower not a shower---there are at least 4 prog songs on the album and while some of the lyrics are a bit insipid --what else is new with Yes? This album has some great playing on it--especially from Howe---and it is not OYE---this is a unmistakable Yes album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:07
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

What is your problem? Yours is one of the most useless posts a person could submit. If you don't care, don't reply. If you have anger issues, seek help. If you have nothing to contribute, move on. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

sry... i just got inspired after watching this video with a VERY similar problem with pink floyd if you know where i am getting at. you just got to watch it (but its optional):

Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:09
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

This is a really strong album---it is Yes today---there are a few Beatle-esque songs that are just okay--but it flows nicely and deserves some love-it grows on you, it's not an instant winner--it's a grower not a shower---there are at least 4 prog songs on the album and while some of the lyrics are a bit insipid --what else is new with Yes? This album has some great playing on it--especially from Howe---and it is not OYE---this is a unmistakable Yes album.

cool, im gonna try it out myself and i might like it just as much as you do (its very likely btw lol). this goes along with my previous comment because idk how to quote two separate posts. how do you do that, exactly? just curious.
Progrockdude
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:23
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

cool, im gonna try it out myself and i might like it just as much as you do (its very likely btw lol). this goes along with my previous comment because idk how to quote two separate posts. how do you do that, exactly? just curious.
Do "quote" on 2 separate tabs and then copy-paste from one to the other. When you have realised the simple syntax of the quote marks you don't even need to do that. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:23
and i forgot one thing: i was NOT attacking the guy that posted this or any other; it was the bunch of people who are bashing at it BEFORE its release (which kinda doesn't make sense unless they got it early somehow for some reason). some of them probably keep on wishing on Jon Anderson to rejoin (which don't get me wrong, it would be very cool!!) but if that's the case, they don't buy any of their albums that don't have him on vocals. Canadian Studmuffin did it, so why can't you?? also, for a previous post, arguably pretty much everyone in the whole world has some sort of obsession over money, whether they need or want it (the latter of which is a bitch lol). this band is no exception. they pretty much tour all the time nowadays, and they need the cash to continue to do so, even while Jon A was in the band (i think). nobody's perfect, that's all.
Progrockdude
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:54

sry... i just got inspired after watching this video with a VERY similar problem with pink floyd if you know where i am getting at. you just got to watch it (but its optional):

Inspired?? By Terrance?? No way !   I just wanted to push pencils deep into my ear canals. I could only get about 2 mins. in before I jettisoned. Dead
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:30
I found the album much more enjoyable than reviews would have led me to believe.  And I generally don't like the post-peak albums from the dinosaurs, with but a few exceptions.   I'd say this sounds more enthusiastic and more interesting than the last two Floyd albums, which always struck me as guys "going through the motions" with little spark.  Yes may sound lighter here but they sound engaged. 

Sure it's not 1973 Yes, but who can expect senior citizens to rock like young guys.  Adjust your expectations if you're going to try it.  Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 12:46

Inspired?? By Terrance?? No way !   I just wanted to push pencils deep into my ear canals. I could only get about 2 mins. in before I jettisoned. Dead

...lol?
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 12:47
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Do "quote" on 2 separate tabs and then copy-paste from one to the other. When you have realised the simple syntax of the quote marks you don't even need to do that. 

ok... what simple syntax of the quote marks?? that was the only part i didn't get and nothing else.
Progrockdude
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 16:18

ok... what simple syntax of the quote marks?? that was the only part i didn't get and nothing else.
look at it when you do any "quote", I can't post it because it will just display "quoted by" but the syntax will not be displayed.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:02
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I found the album much more enjoyable than reviews would have led me to believe.  And I generally don't like the post-peak albums from the dinosaurs, with but a few exceptions.   I'd say this sounds more enthusiastic and more interesting than the last two Floyd albums, which always struck me as guys "going through the motions" with little spark.  Yes may sound lighter here but they sound engaged.   Sure it's not 1973 Yes, but who can expect senior citizens to rock like young guys.  Adjust your expectations if you're going to try it.  Smile

Your comments about the album have made me smile, Jim! Thanks for having a fair and level head when approaching it. I'll be posting a pretty fair and mostly positive review in the next week or so. I think most of the reviews so far are by smart-ass younger listeners who can't wait to stick the boot into the `old guard', or those under the delusion hoping that Yes, over 45 years in their career, are going to release some game-changing, reinventing proggy blowout! Never going to happen!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:07
I wonder how popular it will be when people have to actually buy it?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:11
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I found the album much more enjoyable than reviews would have led me to believe.  And I generally don't like the post-peak albums from the dinosaurs, with but a few exceptions.   I'd say this sounds more enthusiastic and more interesting than the last two Floyd albums, which always struck me as guys "going through the motions" with little spark.  Yes may sound lighter here but they sound engaged.   Sure it's not 1973 Yes, but who can expect senior citizens to rock like young guys.  Adjust your expectations if you're going to try it.  Smile

Your comments about the album have made me smile, Jim! Thanks for having a fair and level head when approaching it. I'll be posting a pretty fair and mostly positive review in the next week or so. I think most of the reviews so far are by smart-ass younger listeners who can't wait to stick the boot into the `old guard', or those under the delusion hoping that Yes, over 45 years in their career, are going to release some game-changing, reinventing proggy blowout! Never going to happen!

One thing I've learned is to pretty much ignore early reviews.  Some people just want to be be one of the first to review high profile albums and as such, I think they are closing up shop too soon.  From what I hear this is an album that will benefit with a little time....

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:13
It's $10 on CD on Amazon, which I think is well worth it, but I'm assuming it will be somewhere over $30 on vinyl?! Now that's pushing the friendship!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>