Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeaven and Earth "Most Popular Album"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:13
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I wonder how popular it will be when people have to actually buy it?

Funny you should mention it.  This is the first Yes album in a generation I'm actually looking forward to owning. 

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:22
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Funny you should mention it.  This is the first Yes album in a generation I'm actually looking forward to owning. 

Did you like `Fly From Here', Jim? I found it perfectly listenable `Dad rock', with a few strong moments and just as many missed opportunities. `Fly...' definitely rocks more than this one, but the newie has lovely group vocals, upbeat poppy moments and a couple of sophisticated (and even proggy) nice surprises!

`Fly...' I spent over $30 on vinyl and was certainly underwhelmed, that's why I went the CD order for this! Heh, ordered it with a clutch of Charles Bronson blurays , so the postage feels like it came to nothing!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 12 2014 at 18:23
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:25
Michael I tried Fly a few times but never gave it a fair chance I don't think.  From what I can say i like Heaven and Earth better than Fly (or anything else they've done in recent memory). 

You like Bronson?  I have a life size cutout display of the dude pointing a .357 at you....from my days at the theater.  Still have it in the back of a closet at my folks house.  LOL   

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:28

That will make a nice change from having to subsequently buy albums that suck hugely
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:32

That will make a nice change from having to subsequently buy albums that suck hugely

I hope my instincts are right.  Believe me Iain, I've bought plenty of albums I enjoyed during my online curiosity preview stage, only to wonder why laterLOL   

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:45

Michael I tried Fly a few times but never gave it a fair chance I don't think.  From what I can say i like Heaven and Earth better than Fly (or anything else they've done in recent memory).  You like Bronson?  I have a life size cutout display of the dude pointing a .357 at you....from my days at the theater.  Still have it in the back of a closet at my folks house.  LOL    

Are you serious, Jim?! I'm booking a flight to your place right now so I may bow down in worship of this false idol!

I used to have a life-size cutout from the movie `Desperado' with Antonio Banderas, all dressed in his mariachi gear with his shotgun on his shoulder, it was one of the last great action movies of the 90's! If you dig westerns and don't mind a bit of duel-pistol mayhem, give it a try!

I adore Bronson, his western `Red Sun' is one of my absolute favourite movies! Been buying quite a lot of old 40's thru to 70's movies on Bluray recently! Just bought a limited edition bluray of `The Mechanic', and in a few weeks a film of his I've never seen - `Breakheart Pass' gets a bluray release, so I can't wait!

SOrry, folks, don't mind us Bronson freaks!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:47
^^ I bought Love Beach cos I liked the single All I Want is You (go figure) Dead

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 12 2014 at 18:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:59
I hear you IainLOL

MIchael, this was the film it was for.  It looks like this, but is heavy cardboard standing 6' tall.  The gun projects out right at your face.  I'm saving it for my basement bar when I retireLOL

I'm actually not a huge fan of these action movies....its just something campy that I got when I worked there and I hung onto it. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:59
Sorry for going off topic. 

Back to YES!!! 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 19:00

^^ I bought Love Beach cos I liked the single All I Want is You (go figure)

Dead

I quite like the track too, to be honest Lemming!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 19:03

I hear you IainLOLMIchael, this was the film it was for.  It looks like this, but is heavy cardboard standing 6' tall.  The gun projects out right at your face.  I'm saving it for my basement bar when I retireLOLI'm actually not a huge fan of these action movies....its just something campy that I got when I worked there and I hung onto it. 

Death Wish 3 - that film is actually hilariously bad, Jim, a huge guilty pleasure! That's the one with the campy wannabee-Warriors try-hard gang! "He got the GIGGLER, man....!"

Well done with the cut-out, Jim, I bet it looks amazing!
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 19:11
I am 51 years of age, have been internet savvy since the late 90's and I am confused as sh&t.......the album is only released on the 18th of July and from my understanding only a couple of tracks have been shared by the record company..................So can someone help me...do you think I have Alzheimers???Confused

Anyhow ref Finnforest/Jim......comments re Fly From Here.............I love the album, was giving it a spin again last night. Benoit David has an excellent " studio" voice. IMHO he was awful from what I heard live but his voice really worked in dub mode. a great album  for 2011 and I must confess I will gladly part with some bucks for the new release. Historically PA was much less forgiving on reviews/rating for albums not released yet but hey maybe it was already I am suffering from some kind of dementia.

All I would say to those naysayers out there, give the album a chance. We are blessed to have another release from this epic band. Embrace that first then decide.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 20:49
*ahem*  Once again, I'd like to remind folks that I suggested Jon Davison as a suitable replacement for Benoit David back in 2011:

I'm disappointed in the songs from H & E posted thus far, but I'll hold judgement until I hear the whole thing several times.   I really like Jon Davison a great deal, his work on "Perilous" by Glass Hammer remains a recent favorite of mine!  And, he plays bass nicely, so he may evolve into the future of Yes.  

However, the lyrics are quite insipid!  They should have hired a pro, like King Crimson usually does.   
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 22:26

I found the album much more enjoyable than reviews would have led me to believe.  And I generally don't like the post-peak albums from the dinosaurs, with but a few exceptions.   I'd say this sounds more enthusiastic and more interesting than the last two Floyd albums, which always struck me as guys "going through the motions" with little spark.  Yes may sound lighter here but they sound engaged.   Sure it's not 1973 Yes, but who can expect senior citizens to rock like young guys.  Adjust your expectations if you're going to try it.  Smile

Actually, I really really like those two last Floyd albums (specially Division Bell, which is one of my favs from them) and am really looking forward for the new album (I'm much more interested on that one than the Yes one, actually). I really love Gilmour's guitar solos on those ones. About senior's rocking like young guys... I don't know, perhaps Rush would fit the description?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 22:28
Rush?   ahhhh....no.  Smile

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 22:33
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I am 51 years of age, have been internet savvy since the late 90's and I am confused as sh&t.......the album is only released on the 18th of July and from my understanding only a couple of tracks have been shared by the record company..................So can someone help me...do you think I have Alzheimers???Confused
Anyhow ref Finnforest/Jim......comments re Fly From Here.............I love the album, was giving it a spin again last night. Benoit David has an excellent " studio" voice. IMHO he was awful from what I heard live but his voice really worked in dub mode. a great album  for 2011 and I must confess I will gladly part with some bucks for the new release. Historically PA was much less forgiving on reviews/rating for albums not released yet but hey maybe it was already I am suffering from some kind of dementia.
All I would say to those naysayers out there, give the album a chance. We are blessed to have another release from this epic band. Embrace that first then decide.

I did enjoy Fly from Here well enough. Even though they were more pop than prog, the 3 main songs from the suite were rather very beautiful, as well as the last song from the album. And indeed I was surprised by how beautiful Benoit's voice sounded on the album, since I had actually heard him live and felt he fell a bit short from what was needed for those songs. However, I would think that the main problem with his live singing was trying to sing like Anderson instead of singing in a comfortable voice for himself... I would have expected him to have done a much better job with songs from Fly from Here.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 22:45
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I would have expected him to have done a much better job with songs from Fly from Here.

Dellinger, I actually thought Benoit sounded quite bland on `Fly From Here', devoid of his usual warmth and personality that shone through on his `Mystery' albums. His efforts seemed over-producted and worked on until there was almost no trace of him left. But I have to admit, I thought he was absolutely spot on on the `Live at Lyons' live album!

Poor Benoit...I'm pretty sure he's thrown in music altogether now...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 23:08
Chris, played some Fly tonight.....not too bad! 

Michael....if I get a chance I'll try to take a pic of Chuck in the closet for youLOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 23:14
Awesome, Jim, about giving `Fly' a try, and also about Chuck....

But I'll have you know, Chuck Bronson is all rugged man and is in the closest for NO MAN!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 23:24
I hear ya man....lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>