Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeaven and Earth "Most Popular Album"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 01:08
maybe not his best album.but, yes always are yes! the best band of the world!!!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 08:29
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Chris, played some Fly tonight.....not too bad! 

Michael....if I get a chance I'll try to take a pic of Chuck in the closet for youLOL

What's that you say? Charles Bronson is coming out of the closet? Who'd have guessed.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 13:16
Alright already in the 3rd page and nobody did answer the OP question, except Finnforest whose answer was seemingly a guess
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 13:31
The first response was the answer. The most popular artists and album is just the number of page visits. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 21:10
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I would have expected him to have done a much better job with songs from Fly from Here.

Dellinger, I actually thought Benoit sounded quite bland on `Fly From Here', devoid of his usual warmth and personality that shone through on his `Mystery' albums. His efforts seemed over-producted and worked on until there was almost no trace of him left. But I have to admit, I thought he was absolutely spot on on the `Live at Lyons' live album!

Poor Benoit...I'm pretty sure he's thrown in music altogether now...

Well, I haven't heard any Mistery albums, so I couldn't compare him with that. I heard him live once (actually, I could have bought a Mistery album there, but just didn't make up my mind for it), and thought he was just a bit uncomfortable with the voice range. And on Live at Lyons he sounded better than when I heard him live, but still I wouldn't find much of a reason for wanting to hear those versions instead of one with Anderson on vocals... Benoit is still missing something. I thought his singing on FfH was rather beautiful, but if it could be considered overproduced, then again, perhaps the best way we could have really heard what he was capable of giving us was if we got a recording from FfH songs live.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 21:19
Dellinger, I think the difference is that Benoit came in to only sing on `Fly From Here', whereas Jon D actually was there from the start and was able to contribute to the song-writing and arrangements, therefore being able to connect with the material better.

I do wish Benoit had been able to get more of a chance to make his mark in Yes, but being involved in some part of their legacy is pretty special anyway

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 13 2014 at 21:20
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 04:43
^ True, same could be said for Ray Wilson in terms of legacy
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 06:22
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ True, same could be said for Ray Wilson in terms of legacy

Spot on observation, Chris! I know there are some that despise that `Calling All Stations' album. I'm not one of them, I should add...I think it's a decent AOR/prog-lite/adult pop album with strong vocals from a vocalist giving his best, and I like that it's covered in keyboards. Shame that every track ends on a fadeout though.

I think it's a little unfair that Banks and Rutherford really kind of ignore it almost altogether, as I feel Ray Wilson deserves a little better. How could anyone replace what a massive personality (both in Genesis and especially solo) Phil Collins was - impossible!

I hope both Ray and Benoit have some good memories from their time with the big boys.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 14 2014 at 06:25
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 09:05
One of the things about the reception of Calling All Stations is the notable absence of crtique of the drummer. Always it's the singers y'know like a pop group!

But comparisons between the erstwhile Phil and the briefly new Nir? This is roughly where I thought the album needed some thing more - Collins was way too imaginative a drummer to have his absence, um, filled on drums and vocals as well - though I thought Ray Wilson was just fine. The We Can't Dance satire on jeans commercials followed by the satirists getting the singer of said jeans commercials was also good fun. Apparently Roger Waters didn't get the joke even when Phil explained it to him (Rog hated We can't Dance).

Still, the drummer and singer left this was it, it was like half the band left while two new guys had to make their identity felt and the band identity also take a new hold.

Seems every time there is a change the reaction is always negative - oh no, the band starts playing different tunes!

As for Yes, thought Fly was fine (except that Man He Always Wanted To Be song of Squire's I thought was so dull. It could have fitted on Squackett... in fact if you switch the fine opening of that album with Squire's song you've got a great Fly From Here and an even worse Squackett album.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 09:33
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It's $10 on CD on Amazon, which I think is well worth it, but I'm assuming it will be somewhere over $30 on vinyl?! Now that's pushing the friendship!   

yeah i know!! gahhh, i still don't know if i should buy it! hopefully ill make a decision in due time but i need to see if they is any updates on what i should get.
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123