Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs modern Prog music still innovative?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is modern Prog music still innovative?
    Posted: July 14 2014 at 08:25

In the late 60s and early 70s, Prog music was showered with compliments such as 'innovative', 'ground breaking' and even 'revolutionary' (a clear misnomer as none of its fusion elements were actually invented). Do you feel that modern Prog music is still innovative, ground breaking or inventive or has it settled, more or less, into a comfortable or even predictable niche? As an extra, if an artist like Steven Wilson was to produce something radically different (for him) such as an instrumental jazz/fusion album, would you welcome it?

Edited by SteveG - July 14 2014 at 15:55
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 09:48
Is modern Prog music still innovative?
Of course!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 09:51
^ Can you back that up? (So that we have something to go on to against the 70s. )
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 09:53
Then I guess innovative stands for something else than it did back in the 70s....
Can modern prog be good? Oh yes........but there is a loooooooooooooooooooong way between acts who are innovative these days, let alone progressive. Playing prog doesn't negate playing progressively.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 09:57
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Can you back that up? (So that we have something to go on to against the 70s. )

Please don't Andrey. That is unless you want the last 10 pages of the bandcamp thread reproduced in here
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 10:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

As an extra, if a artist like Steven Wilson was to produce something radically different such as an instrumental jazz/fusion album, would you welcome it?

I welcome any artist trying to make whatever type of music they find personally satisfying.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 10:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Please don't Andrey. That is unless you want the last 10 pages of the bandcamp thread reproduced in here
What does bandcamp have to do with it? What did those bands pioneer?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 14 2014 at 10:18
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 10:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

In the late 60s and early 70s, Prog music was showered with compliments such as 'innovative', 'ground breaking' and even 'revolutionary' (a clear misnomer as none of it's fusion elements were actually invented). Do you feel that modern Prog music is still innovative, ground breaking or inventive or has it settled, more or less, into a comfortable or even predictable niche? As an extra, if a artist like Steven Wilson was to produce something radically different such as an instrumental jazz/fusion album, would you welcome it?

Nothing is ever invented anywhere in anything without recombining two or more older things. Fusion was a genuine innovation at its inception because music was so segregated. Steven Wilson doing jazz/fusion now would not have the same impact. That is not to say that there isn't anything new he couldn't bring to it with enough imagination. I don't think a single innovation necessarily negates the innovativeness of other similar innovations, because they often have their own take, their own twist, they end up being similar but not the same. Jade Warrior was by their own admission influenced by the guitar and flute pairing of Jethro Tull, but unlike Tull who incorporated (an impression of) British folk music, Jade Warrior incorporated African rhythms and (their impression of) Japanese influences. Does Jade Warrior's use of world music render Peter Gabriel's later use of world music non-innovative? I don't believe so. There was and is lots of territory to explore.

Many of the older guys are still making music without rehashing what they've done before. Henry Kaiser is as Henry Kaiser does (an explanation of Henry Kaiser will not come quickly or easily). Steve Hackett is carrying on his own vision of Symphonic Prog, but it's his own genuine vision, combining lots and lots of different genres. There are others. When it comes to younger bands, my knowledge base is a lot weaker, but what I've heard of some (e.g. Spock's Beard) does not sound like old Prog groups at all.
uvtraveler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 11:09
As a style, once you have a history -- it's hard to labeled as "innovative."  But the bands and musicians within it can always be considered innovative.  There are always new styles and ideas to weave in and expand.   I'd rather produce high quality music though then worry about whether or not I'm being innovative.  Many musicians have lost their touch by trying to be "innovative"  when they could have stuck to continuing to perfect the style they had begun. 
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 12:14
There are modern prog groups who aren't just throwbacks to the 1970s even if they can be traced back to them. For example, a band like Virus has deep roots in what King Crimson were doing in their mid-1970s heavy power trio incarnation but show plenty of influence from the gothic end of post-punk, the modern black metal scene from which the group evolved, the heavier type of post-rock and so on.

Maybe they're not the best example since they aren't really part of the prog-rock scene, the involved musicians having come from black metal groups and their records mostly being released on metal labels.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 13:38
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Is modern Prog music still innovative?
Of course!
Could you expand on your answer Svetonio, you're quite good at that.
Ravenmarie13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 13:40
I feel that few bands in the progressive scene are really being innovative. In a lot of cases they are playing the same thing as the bands that inspired them, but not stepping out of that mold.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 13:42

For example & crispy from the oven - an EP as 20th (twentieth) release by British contemporary prog act  Elegant Simplicity Big smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 13:48
Originally posted by Ravenmarie13 Ravenmarie13 wrote:

I feel that few bands in the progressive scene are really being innovative. In a lot of cases they are playing the same thing as the bands that inspired them, but not stepping out of that mold.
I'm not sure if you're saying yes or no, but I'd like to welcome you to PA. I've learned a tremendous amount here and I'm sure you will too.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 13:48
Inget Nytt Under Solen. I think the real question is, is it even necessary for prog to be innovative. To me progressive rock is and always has been a style of music, and it is not mandatory that progressive rock keeps "progressing". As long as it is well-written and well-played, something doesn't have to be 100% original for me to enjoy it. In fact, I'd rather listen to something that isn't 100% original, but well-done than something that is completely original but uninteresting or uninspired. If progressive rock were to keep progressing, eventually it would no longer be progressive rock, but become something else entirely. And that something still wouldn't be "original" in the truest sense of the word.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 13:53
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Inget Nytt Under Solen. I think the real question is, is it even necessary for prog to be innovative. To me progressive rock is and always has been a style of music, and it is not mandatory that progressive rock keeps "progressing". As long as it is well-written and well-played, something doesn't have to be 100% original for me to enjoy it. In fact, I'd rather listen to something that isn't 100% original, but well-done than something that is completely original but uninteresting or uninspired. If progressive rock were to keep progressing, eventually it would no longer be progressive rock, but become something else entirely. And that something still wouldn't be "original" in the truest sense of the word.
I'm in no way contesting the genre's name Doc. Just trying to see if it can still offer a few surprises or a couple that I may have missed.

Edited by SteveG - July 14 2014 at 13:54
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 13:56
Here's that band I mentioned earlier, whaddaya think?

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 13:58
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

As always, we are pretty much on the same page here.  I think that the progressive rock umbrella is cast wide enough to cover Metal, Rock, and jazz, and includes avant-garde types, as well as more "commercial" Melodic types.  I would say that there are new and innovative things going on at the extreme edges of the prog umbrella, but for the most part the heart of the prog rock umbrella new releases include original ideas that are made in the vein of the prog forefathers that proceeded them. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 14:05
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Here's that band I mentioned earlier, whaddaya think?

I'm not sure how innovative this is as I can hear various past elements in the mix. Perhaps even the B-52's, but I like it.

Edited by SteveG - July 14 2014 at 14:07
Garlop View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 14:28
I think theres still originality in prog music.

Edited by Garlop - July 14 2014 at 14:28
Time has no name and regret has no meaning
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>