Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Rush album first grabbed you and why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 12:48
The first thing I heard of Rush was YYZ (on The Dividing Line online radio), but 2112 was the obvious first step in listening to their works... and so it was Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 14:46
Probably Farewell To Kings since I had left college in 75 and married by then. There were a few people who played 2112 at school but Lee's voice always turned me off to the band. But there were some nice melodic heavy prog instrumentals on Kings so I started buying their lp's from then on. I lost interest again after Signals and I have never been a big fan but I do like some of the newer things also .
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 15:02
Exit..stage left.

I'd not heard rock music played like that before. I couldn't believe that three guys could make that sound. It was thanks to ESL I really became a prog fan.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 15:46
Hemispheres - Still my favourite release by them...I don't own anything after Moving Pictures and have no intention of doing so - coz Signals was so bloody awful.....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 16:49
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Hemispheres - Still my favourite release by them...I don't own anything after Moving Pictures and have no intention of doing so - coz Signals was so bloody awful.....

Well, that's too bad. Signals and Grace Under Pressure are brilliant and I reckon most here will agree.
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 21:34
Yeah Signals through Hold Your Fire are some of Rush's finest albums.

For me it was FBN. Then basically with every paycheck bought the next album until well I owned everything.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 21:51
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Just a personal opinion more than anything else.  The underlying sentiment behind the lyrics are actually pretty good; basically, talking about how time goes by so fast and how we don't make the best use of the time that we have.  It is just really more the chorus that I find to be overly silly as well as things like "chasing cars in doggie heaven" and "...one sniff at the hydrant..." 

I thought you were talking about 2112. Dog Years is a good song and the lyrics are well...not bad. Very informative. Due to those lyrics I know that in a dog's life a year is really more than 7.

I think you meant "a year is really more like seven". I agree though, I don't dislike the song as much as I used to.

Signals is the album for me. Limelight is the first song I remember hearing, but after buying a few of their albums (randomly), Signals was the first one to hit me.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 23:02
Signals was the first one I heard but I think Hemispheres is the one I heard that made me go "whoaaa" especially because of that part where it seems like Geddy is taking the role of a ghost(ie I have memory and awareness but have no shape or form...."). My brother had a friend who was a big RUSH fan so I borrowed his cassette tapes. That was my early exposure of them.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 23:15
While I initially enjoyed Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves on first listens, it was Signals that grabbed me. I think a lot of it has to do with just the way the songs were structured, the harmonies, the various solos from Lifeson, and, of course, the bass/keyboard work from Lee and Peart's drumming, but it obviously goes deeper than the technical things. I think Signals displays a wide array of emotions and just the ingenuity of the music keeps me engaged from start to finish. Power Windows has recently clicked with me in a huge way even though I always enjoyed several songs from it. I think this album has a certain sadness to it that behind all the keyboards, guitars, etc., the music seems to be speaking in a completely different language than say Grace Under Pressure or any of the albums that came before.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 00:24
Caress of Steel. Caress was my fave for awhile. I just loved the second half of the album because it rocks like hell and it is trippy as heck Cool

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - July 17 2014 at 00:25
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 01:42
2112 certainly. Just the intro to that long piece was enough for me. Similar impact as ELP - Tarkus. 
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 15:44
I first bought their greatest hits, sue me. It clicked so I went after all five classic albums at once. I'd say Permanent Waves was the one I listened to the most at first. It's well balanced, still sounds like the classic period even with the synth, has one of the most underrated tracks ever in Natural Science, and the radio hit Spirit of Radio. Just a good album all around.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 15:49
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

I first bought their greatest hits, sue me. It clicked so I went after all five classic albums at once. I'd say Permanent Waves was the one I listened to the most at first. It's well balanced, still sounds like the classic period even with the synth, has one of the most underrated tracks ever in Natural Science, and the radio hit Spirit of Radio. Just a good album all around.
No need for litigation. A lot of music that I was turned on to came from best of compilations. Cheers!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 16:09

Permanent Waves is a favorite of mine (I even have a t-shirt with the album cover). Yes, Natural Science is an awesome song. I love all the moods it goes through. The Spirt of Radio is a darn good, too. The whole album is quite satisfying. 
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 17:08
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Exit..stage left.

I'd not heard rock music played like that before. I couldn't believe that three guys could make that sound. It was thanks to ESL I really became a prog fan.

I remember seeing that tour in Los Angeles at the LA Forum. The production was crazy good and the sound I thought was stellar. I would love to see that tour again.....
Like what IM did with Powerslave Tour..those were the days
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 17:15
For me it was A Farewell To Kings which I bought on vinyl around 1978. I think I had 2112 on cassette but it didn't really click with me until later. I loved Xanadu though from A Farewell To Kings because of the way themes were repeated and the lyrics. I got Hemispheres when it came out and liked it even better than A Farewell To Kings but it was Permanent Waves that stole my heart.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 18:52
Saw them on the A Farewell To Kings tour in Ottawa, April, 1977, and bought that album before that concert, but after being turned onto All The World's A Stage. It was a great concert, complete with a gigantic animation backdrop for Cygnus X-1.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 21:16

i won't judge at all because i didn't get fully into Yes (my favorite band ever) until i bought The Ultimate Yes compilation, and besides, i don't have a problem with retrospective compilations despite some of its song choices (greatest hits or not). before that, there was another compilation (DOUBLE GASP!!!) with Highlights that my father owned (2 copies of that CD for some reason), and as well as radio and Rock Band videos on Youtube. the same was with in this case Rush when Moving Pictures in its entirety was made available on that game (again, on video). however, i didn't develop into it all for awhile until i got it on CD with the "5 Classic Albums" box set i got from Walmart over a year ago. thus i love it now, btw.
Progrockdude
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 23:07

Anyhow, on with the prog part of the story.  During this time period me and my buddies from high school would spend every evening playing basketball or wallyball and then head over to one of our houses to shoot pool or play cards and listen to each of our most recent purchases.  The one evening at my buddy's house he put on his brother's 2112 record from Rush.  We had the speed on 45 instead of 33 1/3 so it sounded kind of strange but since we weren't familiar with this album it played quite a bit before we realized our mistake.  Anyhow, we switched it to the correct speed and the rest as they say is history.

As if Geddy’s vocals weren’t high and squeaky enough back then.

For me it was Power Windows. I hadn’t paid them much attention before because whenever I did hear them the vocals just sounded silly. But the first time I heard Tom Sawyer it turned me around quickly.

The first album I actually bought was Hold Your Fire.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 23:16
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Anyhow, on with the prog part of the story.  During this time period me and my buddies from high school would spend every evening playing basketball or wallyball and then head over to one of our houses to shoot pool or play cards and listen to each of our most recent purchases.  The one evening at my buddy's house he put on his brother's 2112 record from Rush.  We had the speed on 45 instead of 33 1/3 so it sounded kind of strange but since we weren't familiar with this album it played quite a bit before we realized our mistake.  Anyhow, we switched it to the correct speed and the rest as they say is history.

As if Geddy’s vocals weren’t high and squeaky enough back then.

For me it was Power Windows. I hadn’t paid them much attention before because whenever I did hear them the vocals just sounded silly. But the first time I heard Tom Sawyer it turned me around quickly.

The first album I actually bought was Hold Your Fire.

Which is one reason why I prefer Permanent Waves through Hold Your Fire more than any other period. Geddy's vocals mellowed out quite nicely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>